Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

New to the group 99 MIM 50's Vintage Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by guitarchef60, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:26 PM.

1. guitarchef60

guitarchef60 NEW MEMBER!

Thursday
    California
    Just joined the group and waiting for my 1999 50's Vintage reissue MIM Tele to come in that I just purchased from Reverb.

Stoked to say the least. Been a Gibby player all these years with occasional Tele jams but never quite warmed up to the quack tones.

Shelled out $565 with shipping (original Fender HSC) Vintage 52 Pup's, Ashtray cover, Sunburst , vintage tinted neck, Spag logo.....sweet man, sweet.

Have been this excited to get an axe in in quite awhile. What's the group's opinion about this year/model?

Cheers!

Ken

2. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    The MIM 50's teles are pretty much highly regarded around here. Most seem to be very good guitars, with a few exceptions.

Most do upgrade the pick ups but yours already has the great 52 pick ups.

As far as it being a 99 vs. say an 09. The neck may be a little bigger or smaller a but if you like a "classic" style tele. You will most likely be very happy with a MIM 50's tele with 52 pickups.

But make sure you or somebody who knows what they are doing sets it up to your liking. Don't just pull out and say "This is crap".

Give it a good chance amand congratulations.

soulman969 likes this.
  3. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    And oh, usually teles don't quack as much as strats, although you can get one to do it.

I've always been a believer that the tele is the easiest guitar to get close to all other brand/model tones. But that's just my opinion.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Welcome to Tele Land Ken. It's sounds as if you've scored yourself a very nice guitar.

6. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    Welcome and congrats on a great guitar!

7. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    The 50's Classic's are well regarded around here. A lot of people have and enjoy them including me.
    Enjoy it!

8. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't forget to post pics when it gets in.
    Congrats and Welcome.

9. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Welcome aboard and congratulations on new 50s.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome!

Around 1999, this model had not been around very long and the folks at Fender and in Ensenada hadn't fully settled into precisely what neck section/thickness this model was going to have. You can go back through the Archives here and focus on Mr. Mark Davis' posts on the neck type that he saw on the 1999s.

Did they include the old, stock MIM pickups with the sale? If you wanna make sure you have genuine OVs in there, first just remove the control plate and look for some cloth wiring. If there is no cloth insulation visible, you might still have the cheaper MIM pickups in there.

But mainly, just check carefully for substantial fret wear. This vintage wire is nice, but when Ensenada shoots poly on the neck it reduces the effective height of the fret wire. And wear, even ordinary use wear, in this situation can mean the life of the neck as is will be kinda limited. I've got a 1999 Classic Series '69 Thinline and the wire is worn and I've begun thinking about removing the thick poly on the fretboard. There's good fretwire there but I just can't get to it!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 3:14 PM
  11. Jsil13

Jsil13 TDPRI Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Congrats man. I have the neck from one on my partscaster and it's great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.