New Thinline Build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ejphotos, Apr 24, 2019.

1. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

About to start a new Thinline Tele partscaster, this will be my first time finishing the body.
    The neck will be a Warmoth 59 roundback flamed maple with compound radius.
    I got the body from e bay and it just showed up today...really a nice looking body:

3 pounds 9 oz, nice flame top with alder back.
    I want to do a vintage type of burst with it. I picked up transtint dye in amber and reddish brown, as well as behler vinyl sealer and stringed instrument clear lacquer. I've already gotten a lot of helpful tips from @eallen as his avatar is the look I'm going after. I'm also going to do the natural maple binding.

For the pickups, I think I'm gonna go with Dimarzio Twang King pickup set.

Attached Files:

2. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Looking forward to seeing it!

Eric

ejphotos likes this.
  3. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

Me too. Looks really nice.

Are ya gonna pick guard it, or show off the lovely top?

ejphotos likes this.
  4. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

Thanks! I can't wait to see it either...lol! No pickguard on this one, gonna let that top be displayed.
    I was originally thinking about giving it a contoured heel like the deluxe and elites, but now I'm not sure I want to do that. Any opinions on that? I would have to do it by hand because I don't have any power tools. Just a handheld drill

5. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

So I think I am going to do the contoured heel, because I know if I build it without the contour, I'm going to wish I had done it lol. I will take a small craft hacksaw to it, then clean it up with sandpaper. I already have the neck plate so I can draw the outline.
    To drill the new hole for the neck plate, I will just make a jig to make sure I drill a straight hole through the body. Then any remaining from the old mounting hole, I will fill with a dowel.

6. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

After laying down the amber dye and letting it dry, this is what it looks like:

20190427_063409.jpg

It's not supposed to look like that, is it? Looks much better when it's still wet

fattboyzz likes this.
  7. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

For a contoured heel you would've needed one of the standard neck screw holes omitted. If you do a contour now you'll have to fill that hole. Depending on your finish choice for the back you'll see it.

8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

I answered the previous post before reading this one. Are you planning a solid color for the heel area?

9. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

When you clear coat it will look closer to when it was wet.

A lot of people do a few colors even when it won't be a burst.

Start with a darker color, them sand a bit, then go with the lighter color. This is to really bring out the flame & add depth.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  10. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

I'm hoping so lol.
    I played down quite a few coats of amber to gradually darken it up, sanding between each couple coats to bring up the flame

As for the heel, I'm going to leave it as is.

11. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

Good call on the heel. I think a typical amber finish has a base of deep red/brown. I'm certainly no finishing expert. I plan to do similar in the near-ish future & have been reading up.

12. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

I have the reddish brown color for the back and for the outer edge of the burst

G.Rotten likes this.
  13. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

I just went to town with the reddish brown and pretty much went with my gut and it turned out nice. First I covered all the amber with it, looked better right away. Then i made a darker mix of the reddish brown and applied it to the outside, then feathered it in by sanding it back. Applied same mix to back and sides. A little darker burst than originally planned, but that's ok:
    20190427_105621.jpg

I'm going to paint the sides of the f hole black to clean it up. I might paint on a black binding too.

G.Rotten and Deeve like this.
  14. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

15. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Looks good. If you were wanting more if what you originally indicated in your message to me I would go a shade darker on the original amber by wiping on a couple more coats. The wipe and sand it back until it is almost completely gone except in the figured area. I generally don't wait more than a handfull of minutes before wiping it back to remove some from the lighter grain.

As already stated above, once the clear goes on it will be more the shade of the wet dye, and sometimes just a hair darker. That is why once I have my initial color sanded back color is where I want it I spray on a sealer coat. That give an idea of the actual darkness of the sand back. Then as I spray on each color burst stage I put a diluted lacquer coat to see he final color better and seal the color in from the next color stage. Everyone has their own method that works for them.

I don't think the other looks better but different. I suspect as it is it will turn out about like this one but a little brighter. I call this a honey brown burst. [​IMG]

Eric

fattboyzz, RelicStrat, tone57 and 2 others like this.
  16. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

Thank you. First time working with this stuff so wasnt expecting that first outcome lol. Its hard to capture the color of what it is now with a cell phone camera, but it remimds me of a bourbon burst color youd see on les pauls, which i do like that finish and why i decided to keep as is.

eallen likes this.
  17. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice

ejphotos likes this.
  18. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

ejphotos likes this.
  19. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

As the dye has dried more, it's actually looking nicer.
    I blacked out the inner wall of the f hole, and since I'm not putting a guard on this I blacked out the neck pickup rout too. I decided to do the bridge pickup area as well, just in case. I didn't use paint, but I did it with a Sharpie lol. I'm gonna leave the faux binding as is because it fits with the rest of the finish.

20190427_150312.jpg

I think I might call this color "leather burst"

fattboyzz, Gunny, Yonatan and 4 others like this.
  20. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Looking good! Keep it going!

Eric

ejphotos likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.