Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

New Thing Day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    It's not an Amp, it's not a guitar and it's not a pedal:eek:

It's a Fender Dimension IV mind Expander.:rolleyes:

It powers up, tubes glow and the mechanism works but it is not expanding the sound as it should, my research seems to indicate that that means the oil leaked of of the tuna can. :cry:

I'm assuming it can be fixed.

It's apparently a super-rare piece, picked it up for $75 on C.L. pot codes are 1967, not sure of the actual year.

It has two old RCA 12ax7s in it.

20170716_140951_resized.jpg 20170716_141004_resized.jpg 20170716_141241_resized.jpg

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Um, what exactly does it do? I've used other methods of "expanding" my mind in the past.

3. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Meister

Sep 19, 2011
    michigan
    I think you can still get the dielectric oil on ebay a dude was selling it by the bottle I was looking to get some for my old Morley delay it has the oil can with the magic disc inside.
    if not there I remember it s still available through one of the industrial companys that carries it ,I cant remember the technical name I would have to look it up again.
    Thats a cool piece of Fender gear nun the less.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Is that one of the spinning drum echo thingys? My high school had one but it wasn't a Fender.

If yours is like ours then you need to check for internal rotation in the tuna can. For real.

Cool gadget either way.

6. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Yes, I found the guy on Ebay, $80 for 4 oz. I guess I will have to get it if I want this thing working.

jimbo735 likes this.

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Very nifty.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tery likes this.

8. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    yes it has a little can inside and there's a disc inside that spins.

This one has its own pre-amp which is very rare. Most of them had to be hooked up to the reverb circuit in an amp.

If nothing else, it's a 15 watt tube pre-amp :)

9. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid TDPRI Member

May 3, 2016
    Scotland
    I can put my hands on 200 litre drums of transformer oil. I'm rich. :cool:

10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Seems like a real lot for 4 oz of transformer oil. Maybe a number of similar viscosity dielectric fluids would work?

I'd research it a bit and mess around with options. Found this suggestion in a couple minutes looking up that Ucon LB-65:
    IMG_6980.JPG

tery likes this.

11. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee

12. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    yes, i just saw this a few minutes ago, going to give it a try, don't see how it can hurt much.

13. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Well that's a new one on me, you learn something every day. Hope you can get it working again bones and post a sound clip.

14. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I hoping that cleaning it up and filling up the oil can will fix it since everything else seems to be working. I have some spare 12ax7s, so I have that covered. If it turns out I can't fix it on my own, I will probably invest in having it repaired. One in similar condition to mine recently sold for $200 on Ebay for parts, so I feel it's worth having in working order. Not sure how much I would use an effect like this, but it might be fun to goof around with.

15. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

Jul 26, 2010
    Louisville,KY
    I remember those, I think it was designed to make the guitar sound like it was plugged into a Leslie speaker cabinet.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Actually a "Sound Expander".

Just didn't want to leave that hanging there

Pretty cool, says I

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Paul Kantner just one like yours with Jefferson Airplane. It may be the effect on the lead guitar (Jorma) on "Share a Joke With the World" on Crown of Creation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.