Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Telecaster on the way

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Arrowhead72, Sep 2, 2018.

1. trep53

trep53 TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Timberlake, OH; NEO
    My 2014 FSR from GC looks exactly like this but has noiseless vintage pickups. The only thing I had done to it was a good setup and play it. I bought it used in '15 for cheap. No problems with this guitar.

boris bubbanov and Owenmoney like this.

2. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida

3. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    What are you congratulating him for?

He was supposed to get it yesterday, and hasn't posted.

TelePlank likes this.

4. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    He's busy ordering the chickenheads.

Ira7 likes this.

5. Arrowhead72

Arrowhead72 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2018
    Arizona
    My tele arrived and once I tuned up it played quite I checked the intonation and it appears someone took the time to set it. It's been staying in tune even after a pickup/string change. The action is just where I like it. Unless the three barrel bridge gives me grief I'm going to leave it alone. My first real tele so I'm digging the twang.

boris bubbanov likes this.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

+1

upload_2018-9-12_9-38-58.jpeg

Darren Riley is a great guy to do business with and he's accurate and it gets delivered fast. And, he might be the only guy who has these.

I agree, leave those pickups in there and give them a while. You might just warm up to them a lot.

If you prefer a wound "G" string, just leave the stock barrel in the middle position. Intonation tends to be easier with heavier gauge conventionally spaced string sets. Can be pretty hard if you do a 9-54 or other "Hi-Lo" set I find. I think intonation, over all, is much about the way the musician plays the guitar. The more people practice, and learn work arounds, the less sour notes you will ever hear.

As Gene has posted above, a gifted hand can get intonation from the stock 3 barrels. Or they can get real close. Mostly. If at some time the intonation seems to be eroding, then give the mildly compensated saddles a try. If a guitar is set up well, there's nothing like just logging some miles and finding out whether there's a bond between you and the guitar.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018

7. boris bubbanov

Right.

The main thing that's actually going on here, IMO, is the Big Boxes and Fender have engineered a way to avoid the strictures of the MAP rules and other provisions designed to give the Ma and Pa stores equal footing against these big guys.

At $ 549, this FSR gives the buyer more content than $ 549 spent at the corner guitar store gives. And then you can negotiate down from there. This happens to be a collection of a really nice color, nicely made body, and the 3 barrel bridge substitution many are going to do anyway. I'm sure a few guys here have taken off the long, modern 6 brick saddle heavy bridge and found the finish underneath it is marred - and that can show. You needn't worry if you take this path.

I think the main thing to be vigilant about is, the weight of an ash body can vary and traditionally, some of the lighter ash stock goes to Corona and Ensenada gets the rest. The notable exception being the Road Worn 50s Teles.

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    What pickup change did you make?

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    With the Player series now selling for $649 and its defective bridge, this was a great deal.

And what Ma and Pa stores are you talking about?

Ma and Pa Kettle died decades ago.

10. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

Jul 12, 2017
    TEXAS
    Same here. I had a PRS once with these pickups called narrowfields and they were amazing. They were ceramic magnets too. I was surprised because I always kind of looked negatively toward ceramic magnet pickups.

11. boris bubbanov

I agree, that Florida is a pretty impoverished place, when it comes to old tyme music stores. There's George's Music Emporium, and there's some dealers down there, but the stores you'd find in Denver and Cleveland and Chicago and Hartford and Louisville; Florida doesn't have near its share. Growth is more recent; the demographics are just not right. I found Orlando especially a wasteland when it came to "Guitar Knowledge", or it was 10 years ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.