Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Telecaster on the way

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Arrowhead72, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Arrowhead72

Arrowhead72 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2018
    Arizona
    So I just purchased this guitar:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...telecaster?rNtt=telecaster deluxe ash&index=2

I should get it Wednesday. This is my first real telecaster. I have a telecaster looking guitar that plays more like an SG, a real strat and a strat partscaster along with a few other guitars. I tend to take stock guitars and modify them to suite my personal taste. But I want to play with this one for a while before making any changes.

The two things I'm already thinking about are the three saddle brass barrel bridge and the pickups. I've always wondered how well you can set intonation with that old school style bridge. And I've read that the stock pickups on this new tele I'm getting are ceramic.

My question to you experienced tele folks are these. Can the old school 3 saddle bridge set intonation properly and is the Fender "52" set of pickups a significant improvement if I'm looking for a real tele tone?

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    #1 Yes, with a caveat: grab a Fender Brass Compensated Saddle Set for about $20.

#2 Depends upon your music style. If you need Tele "twang", the '52's will work, but there are better, less expensive options available; otherwise, give the ceramic p'ups a chance. You may be pleasantly surprised.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

4. Arrowhead72

Arrowhead72 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2018
    Arizona
    Thanks for the input.

5. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    Classic look, congrats.

6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Sweet :) … Congratulations !

7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Just play it, love it, play it, and own it.

If you are already making plans to modify the guitar, you just bought the wrong guitar.
    In my opinion.

Just play it.
    You will probably find this Telecaster to be perfect, just as she is.
    ;)

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You got a fantastic price on this. Also note that you got a reversed control plate.

Skamania likes this.

9. Beech Creek Gary

Beech Creek Gary TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Hawkins County, Tennessee
    What features does it have that make it a "special edition"?

10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    IMHO, nothing noteworthy. The only differences between this one and other Tele's of the Standard Tele generation are perhaps the ash body, reverse control plate and 3-saddle bridge.

11. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    A 3-saddle bridge CAN be intonated quite well IF you are not maniacally anal about having the lowest action in the universe and individual string heights set to an "exact" measurements! :eek: The worst spot is usually the D/G saddle. Find the spot where the D & G are equal amounts flat (D string) & sharp (G string).raise the height of the D a tiny bit and lower the height of the G a tiny bit. You'll be surprised at how much difference this can make! :D Of course, how well this can work depends on strings used and how far the two strings on the same saddle are off to each other.

Intonation can be a fickle mistress and a truly well tuning setup is not limited to open string/12th fret harmonic vs fretted at the 12th fret. This is true with most guitars, but many folks don't check it! It's important to check other randomly fretted notes, say at the third, fifth, seventh, & tenth frets. One of the biggest challenges can be getting a completely "in tune" D note at the third fret on the B string when the open string is perfect! :rolleyes: Nut slot height also has a dramatic affect on how nicely in tune a guitar plays, as well as the ease with which it plays.

With all that said, be careful about jumping onto the "compensated saddle" bandwagon, as many of them are actually compensated so much that intonation gets thrown off in the opposite direction from what they are intending to correct! o_O Quite often, gently compensating the stock, straight saddles yourself (if you're handy with a file and other hand tools) can work very well! ;) Of the units that can be purchased, I like the ones that Fender puts on the American Professional, as they are a bit less offset than many others, though you'll have to get them at Stratosphere or such! I don't like the angled saddles, as strings can slip around on them AND they look absolutely FUGLY!

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum & HNGD! Enjoy!

Just My $.02 & Likely Worth A Bunch Less!
    Gene

12. Skamania

Skamania TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2018
    California
    Nice Tele! For some reason the colors you chose are the exact colors I like. A couple of weeks ago I bought a 1994 reissue of a 52 Tele that is Butterscotch Blond with black pick guard.

Enjoy your new guitar!

13. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's Wednesday.

We're waiting...

Owenmoney likes this.

14. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Holic

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa
    https://goo.gl/images/ovF4Kt. Jerry Donahue tells how to intonate the three saddle bridge ! There’s the link !
    This goes along with what the Ballz said earlier !

15. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy

16. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    Hngd, pics? I can't see your link, what Tele did you buy?

17. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    I have had Alnico pickups I liked and those I didn't like. I have had ceramic pickups I liked and those I didn't like. I agree with above posters about just playing it with different pickup heights and amp settings. Some people get way too hung up on magnet type.

guitfiddles, Ira7 and TLR_ like this.

18. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2017
    Staten Island NY
    Nice.... Is it USA Or Mexico?

19. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    UK

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.