New Tele Performer HS

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ess Eff, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Body and neck finish is very good and the vintage white colour looks great, with just a slight hint of wood grain showing thru, with the only let down being a very poorly cut nut. The ends are not rounded but just roughly chamfered with one end being noticeably different to the other, and the slots are unusually wide, with buzzing on the high E. In fact you can actually feel the E string vibrating behind the nut!

The only other issue is with the Tuners. They are a new modern-vintage (?) design, but unfortunately they seem to be of pretty poor quality with a lot of backlash/slop.

I'd just point out, that my last 6 MIMs n 2 MIJs were faultless. This one is MIA.

There is a lot of tonal difference between the humbucker and the single coil, from full n warm to bright n twangy. I’m tempted to say I would have preferred the humbucker to be a bit brighter but I’m sure that would compromise the other tones, which are all very nice. Maybe I’ll just have to get into some jazz.

The tone knob is push-pull to activate the humbucker in tapped mode and a standard 3 way switch to select pups. There is still a bit of volume difference between humbucker-normal and humbucker-tapped, even tho Fender claim some electronic wizardry is supposed to eliminates that. I have, in the past, experimented with tapped humbuckers and know it is very hard to get balanced volumes, and then throw into the mix a single coil and you have some real issues to deal with. I actually think Fender have done a pretty good job of it with this guitar.

All 5 tones are very usable. The 3 untapped positions have a very wide range, from warm, not Tele-like to bright, very Tele-like and the 3 tapped positions are all more Tele-like, from full n slightly twangy to bright n very twangy.

I find the single coil bright and punchy, and suspect it is pretty high output, with the humbucker more mild. I had to raise the humbucker quite a lot to balance the volume with the single coil and set like this, all the positions have even volume with a slight drop when going into tapped mode. I think Fender have done a good job of implementing a tricky arrangement.

If you are a tinkerer, I suspect you will make a mess of things by swapping out one or other of the pups. I think you will have to completely replace all the electronics if you want to change pups.

The ever present Tele issues –
    I wish Fender would just bite the bullet and fix these silly issues that should have been fixed 50-60 years ago.

- Still no space to get a finger between the switch and volume knob when in position 1. JUST MOVE THE VOL KNOB 10MM BACK!
    - Strings still lie over/in the adjustment screw holes of the brass saddles rather than coming cleanly off the top of the saddle. JUST MOVE THE ADJUSTMENT SCREWS 2MM!

TL;DR
    Fit n finish – very poor nut n tuners but otherwise good.
    Pups and electronics well implemented and provide 4 good tones, with maybe the 5 tone (untapped humbucker) being a bit too warm.

IMG_20190301_165223.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

3. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

I have been gassing for the Surf Green HS but this review and the fact that I have a Les Paul cures that. Plus my next purchase will be a Kemper.
    Great review and congratulations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Well that cured my GAS for one..thanks for the honest review.

And congrats on yours, hope you get it to where you want it!! They are purty!

5. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I hear you on "fixing these silly issues that should have been fixed 50-60 years ago." I love Telecasters or I wouldn't be here, but the vintage Telecaster bridge has always driven me crazy. There is no way, in 2019, that the strings should be contacting the height adjustment screws on the saddles and messing up the vibration of the string. They also should have introduced compensated barrel saddles to improve the intonation issues instead of making players do various forms of voodoo on the bridge to get it to intonate properly, like bending the hardware with pliers and slanting the saddles.

I'm glad to notice that they finally addressed these problems with the American Professional Tele by creating their own set of three-barrel compensated saddles. Fender should put those on all non-vintage Telecasters that don't have six individual saddles at this point, but for some reason they don't.

But IMO the way to solve the problem is not necessarily to move the adjustment screws away from the string, it is to countersink shorter screws.

Ess Eff likes this.
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats - nice Tele!

Sorry you're having issues with the nut and tuners - I have an American Performer Mustang and the tuners/nut are perfect on it, completely stable even during trem use (and if you've never played a Mustang that trem is kind of rubbery feeling like a 1980s Kahler flat-mount trem).

7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

It's not a tuning stability issue but rather slop/backlash when adjusting ie. the button moves a 1/4 turn before the post actually starts turning.

I'd b interested if yours are all good? I have 1 very bad, 1 a little sloppy and 4 ok.

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Congrats. Gentlemen prefer blondes!

9. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Strange everyone thinks it is a bad model? I have no problem fixing the nut n tuners. I really like it.

Just a poorly fitted out individual.

Andy Summers likes this.
  10. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

I have the exact same guitar as OP and love the new tuners and Yosemite pickups. All my other Teles are jealous.

The neck humbucker into a Deluxe reverb delivers great jazz tone.

Ess Eff likes this.
  11. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

But even with short screws the string sits in the divot with two edges, rather than cleanly off the top.

12. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

I neglected to post a pic of mine. We need to start a Performer Tele club. :D

[​IMG]

Ess Eff and Andy Summers like this.
  13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, all 6 tuners on my Mustang are fine - no slop/backlash at all.

Ess Eff likes this.
  14. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

Congrats and HNGD!
    No issues with the nut of my Performer Tele and I actually like the new vintage style tuners. They feel and work great on my guitar.
    Tele from the headstock down.jpg

Well, in that case, I'd like to invite you to join:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender-performer-series-club.921284/:)

DADGAD likes this.
  15. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

16. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Well, Fender AU ok'ed the warranty so I won't have to fix it myself.
    New nut and new tuners. Just have to take it to the authorised repairer over the next couple of days.
    :)
    When I get it back, I have an idea for brightening up the humbucker but I'll wait till I have done some testing and let ppl know if it works.

17. mfranzdorf

mfranzdorf TDPRI Member

I’m going Tele shopping on Monday. This is on the short list but I need to play it first.

18. noquarter1983

noquarter1983 TDPRI Member

I have the performer in the S/S config. I also find the guitar doesn't stay in tune very good. is this a common tele problem or just related to these new tuners? Anyone?

19. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

I've got the Performer and it stays in tune as well as any guitar I've had.

DADGAD likes this.
  20. Jett

Jett Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I purchased one, the nut needed a little work, but my tuners are perfect, no slop or tuning issues at all. I have higher end guitars, but this is becoming one of my favorites. After a good set up they are great. Great tones in all positions on mine.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.