Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New tele bridge mismatch

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by somnulist, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I've seen folks put an ashtray bridge on Affinitys and the bottom holes were exposed, so they put screws in. Odd that the Affinity bridge has those upper screws too. But personally I'd just put some wood filler in the exposed screw holes, let it dry, then drop some clear nitro over it. Won't be invisible, but will be sealed. Or use those little black plastic dots used in cabinetry to cover screws? Hey, it's a hot rod, things show :D

2. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    michigan
    My holes are exposed and nobody notices.

3. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    There's an off-color joke in there somewhere.

nicod98 and luckett like this.

4. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    michigan
    Yes a little bit of humor, but I did put a aftermarket bridge on my American standard and all the holes don't match perfectly,but its a better bridge for me.
    I like the compensated saddles if there is a legitimate tuning issue or issues but some guitars don't need them,It kinda becomes an experiment with all the aftermarket stuff.
    Nothing wrong with improving an instrument though.

5. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    There is nothing to be gained putting a GFS bridge in place of the Squier one unless something is broken. If you really want a change do the "bubba mod" . Place the disassembled bridge plate in a vice drill three holes and install a set of 3 intonated saddles.(Wilkinson are adequate). Do to the length of the squier bridge plate you may need to buy 3 longer screws for the saddles. (It's been a while since I did one of these).

boris bubbanov and Ira7 like this.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The problem is that the drill bit bends and strays, more or less dramatically depending on the wood, even if you use a drill press.

It's a real b*tch.

7. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California

I know, I've been free-hand drilling in hard wood with cordless drills for decades in my daily work. That's why as long as I had the back holes marked right with the template, I think I could meet the front halfway-drilled holes in the middle, or very close. I'm fully aware of how wood grain pushes the bit around.

Agreed with BryMelvin that the easiest upgrade would be the Bubba mod, and mentioned that earlier. The half-bridge would be something I'd like to do if I had an Affinity to play around with. OP has many options...

8. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    I decided to go with the half bridge and hard mount the pickup. Hopefully the bridge comes in time to work on it this weekend, but I'll post an update on the work when I can. Thanks again for all your help!

9. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Cool! BTW be very careful when hard-mounting the pickup. The Affinity body is thinner than standard, so make sure to get the right length screws so they doesn't go through the back of the body. Squier '51s have a similar body thickness with a hard-mounted neck pickup, and some folks have tightened it down to much, ending up breaking through the back.

10. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Thanks for the tip! Do you have a ballpark length I should look for?

11. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Typically they're 1" (see below), but that's for a 1.75" body and yours is probably 1.5" thick. However, 1" may work depending on the pickup flange and how high the spring/tubing is etc. But I'd go to the local hardware store and get 1", 7/8" and 3/4" stainless round head wood screws that fit freely through pickup flange holes, and just use whatever gets a good bite into the wood without going to far.

https://www.allparts.com/GS-0375-005-Pack-of-6-Neck-Pickup-Screws_p_1799.html

12. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I started down this road on a $100 pawnshop affinity and quickly realized that (for me) it was better to just start building a partscaster. I got a decent body with ''normal'' bridge screw/route pattern on the cheap, a neck that I liked much better than the affinity, a $20 Wilkinson bridge/saddles. and a $25 set of CV 50s pickups, etc.

Affinities are perfectly good gateway Teles, but IMO the bridge issues, body thickness, poly glop finish, and skinny necks mean that to mod one to my taste would be a poor choice. YMMV.

13. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    I seriously considered going a full kit route but thought it would be best to start at a bit more modest level. Frankly, up until now I've been a more or less die hard acoustics guy but moving to a small apartment lead me to pick up a cheap second hand electric so I could do headphone practice at night after the kids were down. But I'm really enjoying it - if that continues to hold I'll eventually spring for something better and will have some experience under my belt to mod that one more to my taste.

14. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    ^ Sounds like a reasonable plan. An affinity is the perfect way to get started on Teles. These ''budget'' electrics are way better than the starter guitars of yesteryear. They are perfectly fine instruments in their own right.

TDPRI is a gas factory and soon you'll have 3 or 4 electrics, amps of different voices, and a depleted bank account:eek:

15. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Man, you weren't lying. Body is 1.5" but the cavity is 1 3/16 - doesn't give me a lot to sink the mounting screws into. I'm going to have to be crazy careful.

16. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    That's why I warned you. The Squier '51 is the same. You have 5/16" of "meat" which should be enough, though I might even look at adding/gluing a 1/8 veneer to the cavity floor and/or using threaded brass inserts (like in the link below). But if you're careful and get several length screws to find the best ones for your situation, it should be fine.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tutori...le-pickup-mounting-with-threaded-inserts-r77/

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017

17. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    "The pickup cavity might not line up with every body out there- but that should be a very easy fix-"

Yeah right LOL. Affinities are MIC, and Chinese guitars have different specs. If you want to upgrade the bridge you'll have to look far and wide for a piece that matches or you'll have to fill the holes with glue and toothpicks and drill new ones. Well that's the case with Affinity Strats. Maybe the simpler Tele bridge is easier to find a replacement for.

I go to bat for GFS but sometimes they oversell the alleged compatibility of their parts. I love my Affinity Strat and have sunk hundreds of dollars into it (including GFS tuners) and it's better than any MIA, but modding Chinese guitars is not a simple matter.

18. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    You're telling me. I had to drill out the mounting holes in the control plate for the screws for the Oak Grigsby 4-way switch. They were just a hair too small. Just a couple of subtle tweaks I've had to make to get things working.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.