Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New tele bridge mismatch

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by somnulist, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Hello all -

Been lurking on this forum getting info on upgrading the pickups and wiring on my Affinity Tele. Based on some of the advice on here I decided to upgrade the bridge while I was at it. Anyways, the new bridge arrived and the cutout for the pickup is very different than the stock pickup. The top mounting hole appears to line up almost exactly, but the bottom two don't and the angle is clearly much steeper on the new bridge.

I was planning on doing the work this weekend and need to know if this difference will create problems with the install. Can I make it work or is to off? Should I just opt for a new bridge or maybe just shoot for new saddles? Any and all advice is appreciated!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ

3. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA

4. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    michigan
    It always a little off!
    Try and See.

5. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    I've done zero guitar work before but am fairly handy woodworking wise. The pickup mount screws go only into the bridge plate and not into the wood? If not, I think the lower left one is too close to the old screw hole to drill a new one that will hold a screw.

UnbrokenChainz likes this.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm a big GFS fan, but most of their bridges suck. Okay--SOME, or MANY, or a FEW suck.

Return it for a credit, and buy a better bridge elsewhere.

I've never heard of the cutout in a plate being that far off. The angle is standard for all Tele's, and Tele types.

7. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Is there room in the rout for the pickup at that slant?

BTW, is that GFS bridge really an upgrade from the stock bridge?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Excellent, superb, brilliant point:

Just because you change something, that doesn't mean it's an upgrade.

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    To the OP here:

If you have ANY ideas about taking woodworking tools to modify the bridge rout so this piece of drek GFS bridge fits, modifying the body, get those crap ideas out of your mind.

xafinity likes this.

10. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    From that GFS page ... "The pickup cavity might not line up with every body out there".

They do have a decent diagram on the page though. I always look for those when changing bridges or other hardware and make absolutely sure everything lines up.

Find one that fits.

11. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I know the older Affinity models have an odd angle for the bridge pickup. Perhaps it is not the new bridge, but the original bridge that is off???

12. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    I haven't taken the old bridge off to check yet. I was planning on doing a short recording session to do a before & after comparison with the new stuff first.

Is it an upgrade? I thought so. Really I was looking to upgrade the saddles but 1) there aren't a lot of replacements for the Affinity readily available and 2) I could apparently get a new bridge and saddles for a little bit less than just the name brand saddles. Plus I like the black. ☺️

No plans to modify the body in any way. It's one reason I bought the cheaper bridge - most of what I found were string-through and I didn't want to drill the body, especially without a drill press.

I went ahead and requested a refund on the bridge. I think I found another option on Reverb but may just spring for the saddles on StewMac.

13. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I know there's not many good bridge options for the Affinity, being top-load with 2 1/8" spacing. I think what I'd do is either do the "Bubba Mod", drilling the back lip and putting 3 brass saddles on it, or buy a half bridge with 3 saddles and hard-mount the pickup like the GE Smith model.

Here's one with 2 1/8" spacing, but has 4 mounting holes, so you'd need to deal with that, but it should be simple to do. Has holes for string-thru or top-load.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...MI3P2G_vLH1QIV0EwNCh1cvgW-EAQYAiABEgKJP_D_BwE

14. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Thanks for the suggestion - I like that idea. How hard is direct mounting the pickup? Would doing a string through mod be easier?

15. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA

16. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Just use appropriate-length wood screws to mount the pickup to the body, with the springs or tubing underneath. I've never drilled for string-thru but it shouldn't be too hard, even by hand. I've read of a lot of folks ending up with badly misaligned holes on the back, but I think I'd drill halfway from the top, then carefully mark and drill halfway from the back. Have heard that getting the ferrules in cleanly is tricky, with no chipping.

Pic of the GE Smith Bridge:

GE Smith Bridge.jpg

17. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Probably will work but again, would these really be an upgrade? Have heard mixed reviews on Graphtech saddles. Also I'm biased... just think Teles should have three saddles, not six :D

IMHO two strings pushing down on a saddle is better than one, especially with a top-loader.

18. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Drill through isn't easy if you demand perfect ferrule alignment, and I wouldn't recommend your recommendation on how to do it:

Those two paths would never meet in the middle.

Having misaligned ferrules isn't the end of the world, because they don't affect function at all and no one sees it. So if you WANT to attempt drill through, mount your bridge, tap your holes, and drill from the top side only.

19. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    I really liked that idea of the half bridge and hard mount pickups but just realized basically every hole from the stock bridge would be left exposed. 3 nestled behind the bridge are easy enough to kind of get ignored, but the 2 between the pickup and the pick guard would be pretty obvious. Do you all think a couple of black screws in there would look weird?

20. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California

I was saying how I'd do it, and I'll bet I could make them meet. I'd make a cardboard or masonite template of the body with string holes drilled on top, then carefully tape it squarely on the back (same side up) as a guide. I'm pretty good with a cordless hand drill, but of course a press would be far better.

That said, it the OP's case I'd keep it as a top-loader.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.