Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New sycamore/poplar build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Durk, May 29, 2017.

1. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2015
    Leesburg Ga
    I know. I originally just painted the front but that looked weird, so I painted it all. I was loving that sycamore.

2. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Yeah I was kinda diggin the grain on the sycamore as well.

callasabra and Durk like this.

3. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That looks great!! What is the weight? Is sycamore heavy or is it comparable to say alder?

4. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2015
    Leesburg Ga
    The sycamore is pretty heavy. This having the thick poplar top cuts the weight a little but it is still heavy. The body and neck are at a little over 7.5lbs right now. It will be close to 10lbs when finished.

5. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Face-grain gluing is generally very strong, but you're probably dealing with two different species of wood in that joint. Because of the possibility of wood movement at different rates I would think seriously about some sort of shape other than two flat surfaces. Probably not necessary to have a beveled dovetail but some sort of mortise would be a good idea depending on how comfortable you are laying out and cutting the joinery.

Having said that, IMHO it's not necessary and without neck bolts you'd lose the ability to do the chiropractor trick to align the neck after assembly. Hey, part of the charm of Fender's designs is that they were bolted together with all the screws showing - and no apologies.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.