New Strat, 3 springs?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Shango66, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

a Student was having trouble with a bit of buzzing on a brand new American Special Stratocaster.
    i noticed the bridge was riding high cos there was only 3 springs fitted in the trem cavity. I said if he got the other two out of the case candy I’d fit them. No spares included, the trem has holes for 5 springs and it was set up pretty bad....so are Fender now shipping strats w only 3?

kookaburra likes this.
  2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

>bridge was riding high cos there was only 3 springs fitted in the trem cavity<

Hence the screws in the claw.....it's simple mechanics really...........string pull=spring pull.... a balancing act. Throwing more springs at it may not be the answer.

3 springs should be sufficient (and is most common I would say), if a person knows how to set up a trem properly.

Buzz, well ? is the neck relief correct ? Action ?? pickup heights ???

First off though, the guitar needs a good set up, by someone who knows how to do that properly, AND IN CORRECT SEQUENCE AS WELL.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    awasson, beagle, Chuckster and 2 others like this.
  3. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I was disappointed also. I bought a brand new $1000 dollar stat and it came with 2 springs and also didn’t have the little spring that goes under the bar to hold it tight. Though it still had a sticker over the hole for some reason.

It was the sustainer model and did come with a battery. That was nice.

When I was returning it, for other reasons, the manager at GC acted like it was pretty common.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

That description leads me to believe the student upsized the strings from factory 9s to 10s after listening to some guitar forum 'for tonez!'.
    And didn't complete all the other setup steps.

5. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Quality control?

I always put just 3 springs there, but I tend to screw clawplates screws down to the bottom.

And remember - Billy Gibbons uses .07 sets in his guitars...

6. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

That situation came up elsewhere, a couple of days ago:

A newbie went to a music store and asked for new strings that are the same as on his Stratocaster. The guy at the shop sold him 10s. The newbie put the strings on and started wondering why the bridge ended up in a funny position. Apparently, his Strat originally came with 9s. A moment with a screwdriver improved things significantly, once he was pointed in that direction.

JayFreddy likes this.
  7. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Both my Strats (a Squier and an American Deluxe) came with 3 springs loaded and no extras.

So are we going to pretend like nobody ever wants their Strat's bridge to float?

Chunkocaster, Chicago Slim and Bob M like this.
  8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

While I'm not sure if the American Specials ever had the extra springs, Fender did stop including extra springs with the American Standards at some point in the early-mid 2010s. The most recent American Standard I had was from 2013 and I don't believe it had the extra springs.

Shango66 likes this.
  9. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Way back when I had a Kramer superstrat, I wanted to add springs. The short visit to a music store didn't cost me much.

kookaburra likes this.
  10. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I bought a new American '50s something or other strat about 6 months ago. Came with 3 springs installed, no extras but did come with a cool little baby ashtray cover for the bridge.

11. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

Sadly there are those that perform such sacrilege !

Those dang blocker people. As Dr. Smith would say:

dr. smith.jpg

12. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My American Deluxe actually came with 10-52's on it (which makes me think it wasn't exactly new, but that's another story), which pulled up on the bridge a fair bit. That's when I learned the joys of a Strat with a floating trem. That, locking tuners and a good setup with proper lubrication and you're good to go, no significant tuning troubles.

I soon switched to 10-46's (I was used to 9's before, so 10-52 was way too much; 10-46 feels just right), but I loosed the trem a bit to make it float again.

I recently got some new Callaham springs (added to an order, just to try them out). They seem tighter, because same number in the same arrangement pulled the bridge down more. But again, just loosen the claw some and you're back.

13. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Now this thread has me thinking...

I currently use 3 springs to float, but I think I will fool around tomorrow and do a 2 spring set-up. Just for grins.

14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I built a Blackie out of Fender parts and found that more than 3 springs was too tight to use the tremelo easily and without so much pressure that you end up throwing the guitar out of tune.JMHO

awasson likes this.
  15. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I almost never hear people mention this in relation to the function of trem springs, but Leo Fender claimed that part of their function is to protect and divert RF (radio fequency) interference from entering the pickups from behind. True? I presume it must be to a degree. I always use all 5 springs for this reason and lower the tension at the claw.

16. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

The cavities themselves are now usually shielded with conductive foil, tape or paint. I doubt the springs will add much to that.

People pick the number of springs based on how they want the trem to feel. Or, put in the maximum for blocking it.

17. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I had a new American Standard in 2006 and it came with only 3 springs. Personally I like the Strat tremolo with 5 springs. It makes it more like a Bigsby IMO. Sounds like it needs a good set-up. You must make the decision-to float or not to float!

18. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Had Strat's for 40 odd years, never saw one that came with other than 3 springs.

Steve Holt likes this.
  19. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

You're right, they sure would not add much. I haven't seen any new Strats lately, because mine are just old or I piece them together myself. But it's high time they started shielding them, LOL ..

20. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

I've owned and played Strat's for over 40 years and have never used more than three springs on the trem.

Just tighten the spring claw.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.