Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

New Star Trek Discover - CBS all access issue

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, May 18, 2017.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Ok. Someone help me out here. CBS is going to have the new Star Trek series,
    but you can't get on 'regular' cable or 'over air antenna'?

Is this one of those fancy ones like netAmazon or hulu flix where you need a dongle or device in the back of your TV and connect that to stream from Internets.? So you need to buy a PC and a router and run the router to your TV room.

Sheesh oh Pete.

Last edited: May 18, 2017

2. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Bump for experts..

3. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    uriah1 likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. joeybyron

joeybyron TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2016
    South Carolina
    I love Star Trek, I hope this one lives up.

One thing I really like about TNG and DS9 is the look of it. The low budget aspect of it. The way they used classical acting styles. I am not sure about the modern look for a Tv series. But I am hoping it will be good and have longevity.

6. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around

7. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2017
    The Dalles, Oregon
    I love Star Trek and all the series (some more than others) so I'll watch if possible. It sort of bugs me though when they do the prequel thing but the tech looks so far ahead of the original series. Why not have it in the future after DS9, Vogager? I'm not getting what's so intriguing about the pre Kirk timeframe.

8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    You need a wireless modem and Roku TV, or any smart TV or any device capable of streaming video.
    Then download CBS all access app and install it.
    Now watch!

9. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    That's because whoever is running CBS is what in known, in the broadcast business, as an "a**hole".
    They will fail. They will lose their jobs. Their successor will try to fix things, and will also fail and lose their jobs. CBS will lose a lot of money.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    AAT65, kuvash, xafinity and 1 other person like this.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    The budget of the original was small, they couldn't do it as well as they wanted. Now that they can, should they be stuck with the cheesy bakelite panels?
    I don't think so.

12. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Just go here... For anything...

http://newepisodes.me/

I'm sure 5 minutes after the first episode airs, it will be there

uriah1 likes this.

13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Cable TV and broadcast TV are dying.
    Streaming programming is next in the evolution of video entertainment.

Cancel cable TV. (I just did and I saved over $1000 a year by doing this)
    Upgrade internet speed, modem and wireless router speed.
    Amazon Firestick is $40 and plugs into any TV with an HDMI port.
    Hulu, Netflix and Sling TV are $40 for all three. (cancel one if you want to spend less)

CBS is trying to establish itself as a streaming content provider, there will be many new entrants into this market as cable TV collapses.

14. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    This is true. People are getting tired of paying a tone of money for something that they don't watch most of. I got rid of cable back in 2012 and don't miss it.

studio1087 likes this.

15. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around

I need my sports, pbs and local news and nat geo

16. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    So firestick is an interface to the TV. You run wires to your router and treat the TV like a computer.
    Can I do AOL or other email then?

17. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    The firestick is wireless. If you want to use a wired connection you have to spend a little more on the firetv box. It does not make the tv a computer but you can install apps and there may be an app for that. I use my phone for email. You can install an app on your phone to control the firestick so you have a keyboard to type with.

18. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I'm looking forward to it.

If I can lay in bed and watch it on my iPad I'll be very happy. I enjoyed watching Misfits and QuickDraw on my iPad. Both are great creative shows that were never on traditional TV.

I think that really creative stuff will be streamed to pads and phones as time goes on. Stuff (horrible stuff) like Dancing With The Stars will be viewed on tradiomal broadcast TV.

19. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    southern California
    For those who enjoy Star Trek.........I live in the Los Angeles area and receive over the air TV reception and there is a station, 13-4, called Heroes & Icons which feature all of the series on weeknights and Sundays. Not sure how that works for those in other areas or on the cable networks. I hope all those who are interested find a way to make it work.

acstorfer likes this.

20. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I was looking foward to it, but I do know now. I really don't watch much tv these days. I do stream, we have roku, fire and Apple TV. I mainly watch movies, but loose interest easily.

I don't believe the whole "only pay for what you want to watch " is going to be cheaper. And I doubt tv is going to improve overall.

21. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    True but it looks like they are using the aesthetics from the JJ Abrams Star Trek (or Kelvin Timeline) opposed to the TOS era.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.