Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Squire Bridge?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Nlongw, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Nlongw

Nlongw TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Abilene, tx
    So I have been playing and modding guitars for years now. I have the old Squire Affinity Telecaster that I would like to pull out again and start gigging with again. One of the problems with it is the bridge is pretty unstable. I would like to replace it, but the problems is 99.5% of the bridges you can find are string-through. I could re-drill a lot of holes for a new bridge, but that seems like a lot of work. If possible I would love a 3 saddle bridge. Does anyone know of any bridges for sale that aren't string through? Thanks so much

2. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    boris bubbanov and doof like this.

3. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I bought an Allparts nickel-plated bridge recently for my CV50, and while it's listed as string-thru, it has the holes for top-load as well. I bought this one:

https://www.allparts.com/TB-0020-001-Nickel-Vintage-3-Saddle-Bridge-for-Telecaster_p_3533.html

But they have brass saddles too:

https://www.allparts.com/TB-5120-001-Nickel-Vintage-3-Saddle-Bridge-for-Telecaster_p_3547.html

Very happy with the quality.

Allparts Bridge.jpg

BTW, I just remembered the Affinity is narrow string spacing, so these bridges (2 3/16") may not work well.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016

4. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Aren't most string thru bridges also toploader? My Wilkinson ones are.

Ira7 and Anode100 like this.

5. doof

doof Tele-Holic

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

In my experience that Sung Il Wilky is one of the few exceptions, being interchangeable like that.

I would do the Bubba Mod and use a 9/16ths inches twist bit to make the holes in the plate. Then use the Fender Compensated saddles. I see a lot of Affinity Specials modded like this.

bender66 likes this.

7. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I have had a number of Affinity Teles over the years and if it is already a toploader and not a string thru , you can use a vintage style toploader three saddle bridge. You just need to drill a few more holes and live with a couple of screw holes showing just behind the bridge. Either that or fill them or put a couple of screws in to fill.

The Affinities work well with the top load three saddles plus they make great Esquires in my experience . Don't forget that the original Esquires were often topload and some of them also had thinner bodies like the Affinities.

I've got another bargain Affinity incoming, it's going to get the Esquire treatment I think ;-)

8. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Bubba mod!

Attached Files:

9. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Meant 9/64th?

boris bubbanov likes this.

10. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

And while I'm still waiting for this one to arrive, I find a nice blue one in a local charity shop too!!

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, sorry! 9/64ths!! :^)

I was trying to think of two things at once and I got my numbers crossed.

I have begun redrilling the bodies on these guitars to 3/16ths inches. I was doing 11/64ths but some of these neck bolts really need 3/16ths so the screw does not impinge on the inside of the bore and reduce the clamping force downward - which is what holds the neck in place while not being so restrictive as to mean something has to break if the guitar falls and there's a headstock strike. I was thinking about this when I posted - thinking about 9/64ths AND 3/16ths.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.