Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New song - Online Collaboration (loose Faces-esque tune)

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by jondanger, Sep 3, 2017.

1. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I've been words-dry and music-wet recently, and my buddy has been the opposite, so we decided to try out the Elton and Bernie model. He sent me some words that didn't have any music to go with them, and I wrote this around it. Then I recorded the drums, vocals, slide and acoustic rhythm guitar in Garage Band and sent it to him. He did electric guitar, organ, and the tremolo guitar and had another friend do the bass and sent it back. I added tambourine and put it all together. I feel like it came together pretty good.

All three of us used to play together pre-parenthood, so this is a fun way for us to collaborate with different schedules and limited time.

I'm not proud, so tell me if you think this mix can be improved. I'm new to the open tuning slide stuff, so I'm just accepting that it's amateur hour in the slide zone.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    ccotton, Mellencaster, Mjark and 2 others like this.

2. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Any opinion on this other vocal take? This was actually the first one I kept.

Alan L Cole likes this.

3. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    I think the mix, music and vocals sound great jondangger. Nothing wrong with the slide, it works in the track. Has a "The Band" vibe for me. It's cool you can collab with your friends from back in the day. Nice track!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017

4. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    I like the vocals in the first track better (they sounded stronger) but nothing major wrong with them here - cool!

5. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    I like it! Nice collaboration! I think this first mix sounds the best. It's a really good, song and production.

6. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Thanks! The Band is high on my list of all time favorites.

I think the other guys who worked on this like the first mix best too. Sometimes I trick myself overthinking a mix.

7. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Pretty nice. The Bay...a bee on the chorus needs some work, both pitch wise and melodically to my ear.

jondanger likes this.

8. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Thanks, yeah I agree about the chorus. Could definitely be tightened up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.