Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New shoulder is done!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Oct 4, 2017.

1. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Been there, done that.

Before surgery, ouch, ouch, ouch

After surgery, aaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Heal quick

studio1087 likes this.

2. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and congrats on the NSD!

studio1087 likes this.

3. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Hand sanitizers should NEVER be seen as a substitute for proper hand washing, and if they are used, should only be used after washing the hands using proper procedure.

titan uranus and studio1087 like this.

4. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

You look pretty relaxed in that photo. I hope it all went well. And I hope your recovery goes perfectly.

boris bubbanov and studio1087 like this.

5. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Oh yeah? Here's one study from the US National Library of Medicine/National Institute of Health published in 2005.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15809394

OBJECTIVE:
    To compare the effect of 2 hand hygiene regimens on infection rates and skin condition and microbial counts of nurses' hands in neonatal intensive care units.

DESIGN, SETTING, AND PARTICIPANTS:
    Clinical trial using a crossover design in 2 neonatal intensive care units in Manhattan, NY, from March 1, 2001, to January 31, 2003, including 2932 neonatal hospital admissions (51 760 patient days) and 119 nurse participants.

INTERVENTION:
    Two hand hygiene products were tested: a traditional antiseptic handwash and an alcohol hand sanitizer. Each product was used for 11 consecutive months in each neonatal intensive care unit in random order.

RESULTS:
    After adjusting for study site, birth weight, surgery, and follow-up time, there were no significant differences in neonatal infections between the 2 products.

studio1087 likes this.

6. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Looking good! Speedy recovery, and stick with the rehab and you'll be better than ever.

studio1087 likes this.

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Thanks everyone!

The did a nerve block on my left arm. I can feel and move my fingers but that's it. I can't even feel the ice pack on my shoulder. It will be interesting to see what this feels like when the block wears off in 5 hours.

Thanks for all the encouragement.

8. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI

The Columbia University School of Nursing study you linked to is completely in keeping with my post, and doesn't contradict it in any way:

In other words, the study is comparing the effectiveness of hand-washing using a traditional antiseptic wash (ie the antiseptic is contained in the wash itself) vs washing with a mild hand soap, followed by an alcohol-based sanitizer (ie the soap itself does not contain the antiseptic. The antiseptic is applied after the hand washing).

Hand soaps containing chlorhexidine can be very harsh and irritating to the skin, and when frequent hand washing is a part of your every day routine, the effects can be cumulative. The end result is that it can provide a disincentive to frequent hand washing.

The study you linked to is an attempt to find an alternative regimen that is more gentle on the hands while providing the same effectiveness.

They do not suggest using an alcohol-based sanitizer as a substitute for hand washing.

studio1087 likes this.

9. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Keep the old parts in a bag and give them to the next buyer. It's a vintage thing.

studio1087 likes this.

10. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    cool...may the road to recovery be a smooth one!

studio1087 likes this.

11. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Your two final sentences contradict each other Mr. Green Genes. Of course they are saying that an alcohol based sanitizer is an effective alternative to traditional methods such as hand soap. That's why most hospitals across America use them.

Here's a field study comparing the two in a milieu where water is scarce. Note that its just hand washing with soap and water vs. an alcohol based sanitizer...nothing else. Here's the jist of it...

"Hand sanitizer was significantly better than handwashing with respect to reduction in levels of fecal streptococci (P = 0.01)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2813169/

The only time I can think of where hand washing with soap trumps the sanitizer is in cases of documented Clostridium Difficile infections.

12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Oh man. Now you got me gassing for a new knee...

1293 and studio1087 like this.

13. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    I've never mentioned it before, but every time I see a photo of studio1087, I see Fred Flintstone. :D

Speedy recovery Fred, er John. :D:)

src9000 likes this.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Your wife called. She said that she had some yard work for you to do when you get home. I think raking leaves? :D

Glad you came through it all intact. Take your time to let it heal right.

studio1087 likes this.

15. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Recovery has begun. Be patient.

studio1087 likes this.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Glad to hear the procedure was a success!

Hey, when you feel up to it, we wouldn't mind to know exactly what procedure you had done. I've got an awful lot of former kayaking buddies who need something done to a shoulder - I'd love to tell them what worked for you.

Thanks!

studio1087 likes this.

17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Good news and good luck!

I don't want to think about the infection topic I see. That (hospital infection) nearly did my wife in.

Hang in there for those tough moments and go for it with the rehab so you can get to strong and happy fast!

:)

Mr Green Genes likes this.

18. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    My statements don't contradict each other in any way, and that is not at all what the study is saying.

Listen, brother, I have no issue with you. Wash your hands, or not, as you see fit.

We have a fellow TDPRI member who is in the hospital, recovering from surgery.

Please don't hijack his thread and turn it into some sort of fight about whether or not nursing staff should wash their hands before making physical contact with a patient recovering from surgery.

If it's something you feel strongly about, go ahead and start your own thread on the matter. This is not the place.

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    We are Fred.

[​IMG]

I don't think I'm going to sleep. o_O

20. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    He is a patient. Didn't you see the photo he posted?

scrapyardblue and studio1087 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.