New Scorsese doc : Bob Dylan & Rolling Thunder 1975/76

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

On Netflix.

All the footage shot by the original German-ish director is great (he’s not).

I think this is Bob’s greatest vocal era by far. Great band including a young TBone Burnett and Mick Ronson (!)

Really great performances, new interviews with Bob, Joan, Sharon Stone (!) etc.

Very impassioned performances, about as far from phoning it in as is possible .

One thing that continues to blow my mind about him. Love him/hate him/however you feel about Sir Bob -

there is no greater lyric recaller/rememberer on the planet.

He does the exact same thing 10 years later that I saw him do in footage from an early Newport. It’s like he pauses in the little instrumental interlude before the next verse and downloads the next section of lyrics.

In one song, he kinda glances over at Scarlett Rivera the fiddle player and you think he’s giving her the eye but no - Bob’s downloading ! :lol:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

Nice - I'm gonna check that out.

Frank'n'censed likes this.
  3. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Must see.

4. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Loved the bit where Sharon Stone says Dylan sings “Just like a woman” to her 19 year old self and she thinks he wrote it about her. Someone one has to tell her he wrote the song 10 years earlier. Really felt sorry for poor old Joan Baez. You could see she really loved Dylan. Great job by Scorsese. Thx Netflix!

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks for the head's up. Looking forward to it.

6. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Not to pick a nit but... Imma pick a nit. :rolleyes:

For those so inclined to find them, there are web pages that detail several fairly significant fictional elements in the Scorcese Rolling Thunder movie. So calling it a documentary, is inaccurate.

I have not seen it myself, but my buds who have seen it, really enjoyed it. Just don't go into it expecting 100% historical accuracy. Maybe at some point Sorcese will address why he added the fictional bits in there...? Who knows. There's issues with The Last Waltz too... perhaps R&R concert filming is at the far edge of Sorcese's comfort zone, compared to a mobster movie. No knock on him, and surely we are better off with this latest effort, than not.

Anyways. Can't wait to see it myself. :)

AlbertaGriff and TokyoPortrait like this.
  7. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

I would imagine that LSD had something to do with their last concert performance. Check out Dylan's and McGwins's eyes.

8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I really enjoyed it. I got 3 complaints: nobody interviewed Mick Ronson. Nobody interviewed Ronee Blakley! and I would have liked to have seen some more full performances of songs. but "isis" was really great.

"""there is no greater lyric recaller/rememberer on the planet.""" - I was thinking the same sort of thing. how on earth can anybody remember that many songs?

i was 16 when this tour was going on. the rock press was going nuts over it and also "renaldo and clara".

Fearnot, Flyboy and DonM like this.
  9. thunderbyrd

Ronee Blakey:

10. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

My first Bob show was Rolling Thunder’s November 1975 show in Waltham, MA. In the gym at Brandeis University. An amazing show.

Anyone else catch an RTR show?

soul-o likes this.
  11. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

The whole Sharon Stone thing was faked. Weird.

12. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

But why not sing the melody you once wrote?

13. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

RONO!

stinkey, thunderbyrd and jhundt like this.
  14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Because the song changes every day. I guess if you write the song, you can play it however you want.

tomkatf and stinkey like this.
  15. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Really? That is weird.

16. thunderbyrd

whoops. i'm watching it again and I see I missed it - they did interview Ronee Blakley for about 30 seconds. and she said Mick Ronson said Dylan never spoke to him.

17. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

There are 4 fake characters in the film:The Beauty Queen (actress Sharon Stone); The Filmmaker (actor/performance artist Martin von Haselberg); The Politician (actor Michael Murphy); and The Promoter (Jim Gianopulos, Paramount Pictures chairman/CEO) " Nothing they say is true, evidently.

Scorsese says in his production notes that he “wanted the picture to be a magic trick ... There’s a great deal of sleight of hand.”

Still I found it pretty good. I saw RTR when Dylan played Maple Leaf Gardens in 75, it was a glorious meesof a concert.

18. Mike Eskimo

They were gags but they were done so weakly that somebody around Marty should have said - either punch up/add to the fictional “funny” bits (Dylan borrowing the white face thing from KISS) or - drop ‘em.

Seeing Sharon old or young is good enough for me.

But the fact that some people with phenomenal senses of humor (me) didn’t even smell the bit makes it a failure.

But - it doesn’t add to the movie when the actual road manager promoter Louie Kemp was a foul-mouthed fisherman and seemed more of a fictional character than the others.

DonM likes this.
  19. Mike Eskimo

Here’s what it’s like : they do a doc on your family. They have old footage/home movies and they have new interviews.

And let’s say the whole focus was a family trip.

Some of your brothers and sisters were real and some were actors but none of the stories were really any more outlandish than any other.

What’s the point ? Where’s the funny ?

20. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Is it supposed to be a comedy?

Honest question... I haven't seen it yet.

My impression is, it's being proffered as a document (if not a documentary exactly), when in truth it is a fictionalized account. Or even, real stuff with fictionalized elements. Not exactly a unique thing in the movie biz. I guess the twist is that a lot of the raw footage is real people doing real stuff, and 'we' have known about that footage for decades.

But Dylan, for all his amazingness, has always used artifice. The folksy troubadour coming off the train from the prairie and wowing the NYC folk scene... the makeup... the assuming of identities. It's part of what he does. Doesn't take away even a tiny bit of his giant talents. I'm guessing that Marty knew this, and ran with the concept. To make a better movie... ?

Sorry. I'm rambling. I'm a ramblin' guy... hey, you could write a song (or a career!) around that!
    :lol:

edhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.