Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Rutters Strelemaster review!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by mandocaster, Nov 23, 2013.

1. mandocaster

mandocaster Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I was the very luck winner of the Rutters Strelemaster in the TDPRI fundraiser this year. I’m no George Gruhn, but I’ve played a lot of guitars over the years as an enthusiast and as a former employee of music stores like the Fifth String in Berkeley and Rockin Robin in Houston. The Rutters has to be one of the top I have ever played. If you handle this guitar you immediately see and feel the attention to detail. The fretwork is impeccable. Clearly, Rutters doesn’t accept anything but perfection in workmanship. The highly flamed maple cap soft v neck is chunky without feeling like a baseball bat. The Evo gold frets are neat. The neck has a “soft gloss” nitro finish that is slick without being sticky. The alder body is very light, which I find a little surprising. Total weight is six pounds four ounces. The famous Rutters hardware is used throughout. Cool knobs, switch tip, bridge and saddles, which are straight compensated steel. The control plate is the same as a tele, even though the shape is different. There is a Voodoo 59 tele bridge PU and Voodoo 70 strat Pups in the middle and neck.

I haven’t gotten to spend as much time playing the guitar as I would like in the last couple of days, but I have some first impressions. I plugged it into a little Kalamazoo mod 2 I have for living room practice. The guitar really is the best of both worlds. It has beautiful tele bridge tones. As good as I’ve heard. It has great strat middle and neck sounds. Also as good as I’ve heard. It is a real pleasure to play. The guitar exhibits surprising sustain. I will get a chance this weekend to use it in a performance, so I will update this when I can.

I’ve shown the guitar to a couple of folks, and their first reaction was “Wow!”. It is a unique looking guitar, and I think beautiful. Rutters really deserves a lot of success as a builder, because the Strelemaster is amazing. He poured a lot of love and skill into its construction. Here are some pics. The neck is so beautiful. The photos don't do it justice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013

2. mandocaster

mandocaster Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2007
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mandocaster

mandocaster Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2007
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

You're copying the html version. Look for the IMG or direct link. Make sure that it's public.

5. mandocaster

mandocaster Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2007
    Houston, TX

6. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

Jul 9, 2011
    Canada
    You lucky dog! What a gorgeous guitar. Pardon my drool.

I bought a Tele from Marc Rutters a few years ago and my experience parallels yours. Marc pays remarkable attention to detail and everyone who sees mine notices that right away. It is hard to put into words just how great my Tele plays and how it feels in my hands. It has become my main guitar and I have played it every single day since I bought it.

The only thing you missed out on was dealing with Marc himself. He is a terrific guy, very personable, knowledgeable and helpful. I encourage everyone who wants a fine instrument to give him a call.

7. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

8. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    Thanks for that review. I know that Redd and I were blown away from the Rutter's entry and the same was true of the great guitar he provided for last year's Fundraiser.

Here's a link to Marc's website, check out both the guitars and the parts: http://ruttersguitars.com/

boris bubbanov likes this.

9. Sacdubro

Sacdubro Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2007
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Sweet looking instrument congrats!

10. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats! Not sure how I feel about the look of the guitar, hybrids aten't my thing. It does have some great flame on the neck. I never doubted it would be anything but a fantastic player..

11. wwit

wwit Tele-Holic

Jun 5, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Looks so awesome. :cool:

12. rbrown

rbrown Tele-Meister

Oct 5, 2010
    St Louis, Mo
    That was the one I was wanting this year. Marc's quality is second to none, I knew it was going to be a player.very jealous

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Gorgeous!

Marc has a great eye for design and detail!

14. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice Git. Congrats.

15. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Glad you (still) like it!

As I recall, it is pink.

A wee digression, but yeah, detail and Rutters are things that seem to go together. Marc does good stuff.

Might need me a Strelecaster! And, thanks very much to the OP for the review. That was fast!!

Cheers,
    Geoff

16. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

Jul 9, 2011
    Canada
    Hey Geoff! Yes, I still love this guitar and it still is pink (a peachy, rich pink, close to Shell Pink). I was thinking the same thing about the Strelecaster. I may need one.

17. younkint

younkint Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2007
    Spring, Texas
    Beautiful instrument! That neck is stunning! Like others, I'm jealous. :D

Everything I've purchased from Marc Rutters has been flawless.

18. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2011
    London, England
    Amazing , that neck is really beautiful.

19. mandocaster

mandocaster Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2007
    Houston, TX
    As it turns out, Voodoo pickups are awesome as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.