Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Rumbley Day

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Chud, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    The new Fender Rumble 100 arrived today and I just got a chance to check it out a little bit. I need to put on new strings and give the P Bass a set up before I fully run it through some paces, but my initial impressions are pretty wow!

IMG_0982.JPG

The amp is light light light! Holy cow, I'd read about how light it was, but didn't really grasp just how it would really feel. We're talking one-finger-lift light. Crazy.

IMG_0983.JPG

I really like the different voicing options it has. On just a quick play, I found some nice tones pretty easy with some small low end cuts and some slight high end boosts with the Vintage and Bright buttons engaged. I didn't think I'd like the Overdrive, but I have to say that it sounds really raunchy. Dig it!

IMG_0985.JPG

It's smaller than my little Marshall by just a little bit, though it's deeper so it's got to go underneath for now until I get everything set up in the new basement studio in a few months.

Can't wait to crank it up when everyone is out of the house tomorrow!!

erratick, RLee77 and Wyzsard like this.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Congrats! Great amp. I've got a Rumble 40. Don't you love how light it is?

Wyzsard likes this.

3. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Yeah, it's actually really ridiculous how light it is. Love it!

Dismalhead and Wyzsard like this.

4. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    Me too Rumble 40. Carried it out of the store on one arm- really light.
    That 100 cranks. And the OD??? Think... guitar. My Squire Jazzmaster sounds great through the rumble.

Wyzsard, Dismalhead and Chud like this.

5. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

Jun 6, 2011
    Leighton Buzzard
    My pal has a 25 , and it's surprising how loud it can go , I've played on some gigs with him when it was only on 50% and still kept up with a drummer.

Wyzsard and Chud like this.

6. Taildragger

Taildragger TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I've been looking at the Rumble 500, but will have to shed some other gear to raise the necessary cash if I decide to pull the trigger.

7. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    I had the master on about 10:30-11 o'clock with the gain about halfway up today and it was shaking the house.

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

Busted out the Schecter bass for the first time in a few years to put the Rumble through some more paces. Really digging the overdrive, and getting to know the eq better.

Durberville and Dismalhead like this.

8. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Congrats on a great choice !

The V3 Rumbles have busted the stigma regarding Fender bass amps. They sound great !

The built in DeltaComp and effects loop are icing on the cake.

And the classic Fender badge and grill makes for a killer look as well.

68Telebass likes this.

9. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Darn right. I have the 500 head and two of the 112 cabs. The whole stack is just 67 lbs.

Nuts

10. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Congrats! I'm really interested in hearing your opinion of it, because for the last couple of weeks I've been looking for a nice bass combo that I can use for a home practice and recording amp. I've been going back and forth between the ampeg BA series and the fender Rumbles. I'm a guitar guy but have been finding I enjoy the bass a lot too. I don't need gig power, but I want to be able to feel the notes, not just hear the tone. Was thinking I wanted a 1x15, ported cab, 100 watts, but I don't really know that much about bass amps.
    Maybe the Rumble 40 would be plenty thumpy for me. I need to go spend some time with them at the local GC.

11. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2008
    Oshawa, near Toronto
    I've got the 40Watt model for home use and use the 200Watt/15" model for gigs. It's the best thing Fender produced, for bass amps, in years. And I do adore the light weight; it's a huge selling point as well.

RLee77 likes this.

12. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Given others' comments here and my experience thus far on the Rumble 100, I think you'd be more than fine with the Rumble 40 for home practice and recording. One argument for the 100 over the 40 other than just the additional power and larger speaker size would be the inclusion of effects send and return on the 100 if that's of interest to you. I'm also a guitarist who likes to play bass, so I'm pretty much a neophyte when it comes to pedals with bass, but having the option of running pedals inline or in the loop (and a combination of that depending on the pedals) is something that I will likely appreciate more as I play more bass.

13. erratick

erratick Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    SoCal
    I love a little dirt on bass. It can sound really good in a mix!

Glad you like it! Congrats.

14. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

I'm very curious about the tall skinny cab on the right.
    I think I need that.

15. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    That is a Carvin 2x12 cab that is individually ported on each speaker. You can leave both closed (as I have it currently), open just the top, open just the bottom, or both. They all change the bass response in different ways. Fantastic cab for the money.

16. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    When you say rumbley I think of that stupid cartoon cow milk commercial.

17. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Rumbley in my tumbley?

18. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I almost bought a cab like that once, sound city or something. Perfect advantage. One open, one closed, one on floor, one near your head, small stage footprint.
    They only made a few and quit.

19. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    I have not yet played around with the different cabinet voicings, but it's on my list of to-do's.

20. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I tried out both the 100 and the 40 at GC over the weekend, and you're right, the 40w was more than rumbly enough for my needs. Bought the 40w and am loving it. What an amazing amp for $200!
    I still have some experimenting to do, but so far the voicing options are very simple and effective. I think my favorite tone so far is EQ all at noon, gain around 11 o'clock, and vintage option on. Also the headphone out sounds really nice and deep in my studio headphones.

68Telebass and Chud like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.