Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Rosewood Neck for my Tele!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dreamingtele, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I have the WD Bubinga neck, yet unmounted. In terms of contour its actually less beefy than my 2016 '52 AVRI. More a 1/2 circle. The '52 is the 1/2 circle + the fingerboard added.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    https://stratosphereparts.com/new-f...e-replacement-neck-bubinga-vintage-chunky-21/

That one? Looks nice. Exactly the same advertised spec as the rosewood, if memory serves. Particularly the profile measurements. And $30 less!

All I can say is the written spec matched my actual within a thousandth.

3. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    I am blessed with hands perct for pugilism, the single handed death grip and having my first guitar teacher , look at my hands and asking Have you thought about playing the drums......

I feel your pain from around the corner.
    but hey you know what the say "big hands big feet, big socks big gloves.......;)
    Warmoth custom necks, yes I see that you live in Oz, hmmmm it might be worth it to get it right once and for all.
    http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx

dreamingtele likes this.

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Haha. I feel you. Even if I have smallish hands, I do really feel comfortable with a fat neck. Something about it that makes it easier for me to play.

I also like doing chords and chord inversions so having a fat neck to grip and have leverage on is a big plus for me.

Teleterr likes this.

5. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    Does bubinga need to be finished?

6. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Nah, it's like rosewood. Probably IS a rosewood. Very dense.

SoulstormTX likes this.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I was poisoned w Cocobolo once, so I m overly cautious. I made a from scratch Bubinga guitar long ago and it was fine w-out a finish. My Tele neck, from the WD Chunky series we re discussing, has poly on it. Brushed on a coat , its fine.

8. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Are you saying you poly coated your bubinga neck because of concerns that it was poisonous like cocobolo? Or from specific concerns over bubinga itself?

I looked on wood-database.com, and it's hard to tell, because nearly every species of lumber has some reported toxicities. Usually irritant or sensitizer. Cocobolo is said to be "notorious" for this. Bubinga didn't seem to stand out beyond, say, cherry or maple.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    moosie, you re right its pretty safe, not even a hint before w the guitar I made, but once you re sensitized...

10. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yeah, but you can say that about nearly everything on the planet. If we avoided all possible allergic triggers, we'd not be able to function.

I'm not saying bubinga falls that low on the scale, but I'm not seeing that it doesn't...

11. dreamingtele

Moosie, may I ask what your amp is?

Moving countries is painful and exciting. Im blessed to be able to bring just one guitar, and one of I think, a thought out guitar that Fender made. on which I made a personal stamp on by slapping a rosewood neck. LOL. which I think made it better suited for my playing style and preferences on aesthetics.

But, Im amp-less. If you got a big tonal difference with the neck swap, what's your amp and pedals if you have one? I know I may have to bring this guitar everywhere I go to test out amps as this is a guitar that has it's own sonic properties and using a store-guitar wont cut it to see if I will like the amp.

12. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    Can I ask how this compares to the American Professional as far as thickness, and feel. I sold my Surf green Fender AP with all rosewood neck but was considering buying another to swap that neck on my 94 blueburst Tele Plus. Wouldn’t be very cost effective but I loved the all rosewood neck. The frets were different though on that model and took a little getting used to for me.
    Edit. NM. Just read your next posts.

13. dreamingtele

Im not sure how thick the AmPro all rosewood necks, but if it's the same thickness as their maple counterparts, the Vintage-U rosewood neck is still a 1/3 thicker than the ampro necks. The rosewood neck that I have is also flatter than what Id normally like, which is 12", Id prefer 7.25 or 9.5, but it makes up on the thickness, and I like a fairly straight neck so having a flatter radius helps on getting the action a bit lower.

I still love the Deep-C profile of the orig AmPro neck and decided to keep it and make another tele out of it. Both have the same 6105 frets that I love, although but have different profiles, but I can still live with the AmPro Deep-C profile thickness. If I can get another AmPro with a rosewood neck, all the better!

14. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I play Fender SFs. 77 Deluxe, 69 Twin, and my favorite, a 71 Super.

But, I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed this difference with just about any amp.

No matter what amp you're playing, if you normally keep treble on 3, and I walk over and dime it, you don't ask the brand, you ask what the heck I did to your amp.

15. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2014
    UK

16. dreamingtele

Thank you!

17. dreamingtele

An update:

went to the hardware store to get something that's been highly recommended here in Australia for wood surfaces and conditioning wood.

I figured I need to condition my very dry rosewood neck, darken it and make it really nice feeling and smelling good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im a happy customer. It's organic, and food grade. I just hope it doesnt go rancid overtime. We'll see. I love how it conditioned the rosewood and turned it into a very dark color, which I really like.

I was hoping that the streaks would come out as it's a really cool look as it runs horizontally on the fretboard and makes a nice pattern with the strings on, but yeah. Its still visible but not like it used to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.