Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Rosewood Neck for my Tele!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dreamingtele, Dec 30, 2017.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Thank you!

2. dreamingtele

This is most def that fattest neck ive ever seen and played. I dont know any production fender that has this kind of fat U neck. Otherwise, I will have to buy more and more of this kind of neck to enjoy guitars.

3. dreamingtele

This is true for me too!

4. dreamingtele

Thank you! It is indeed beautiful! But feels and looks dry! Would need something to wipe over it to make it pop

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Mine's a CAR AV64, it's stock neck currently pouting in a drawer, while I use the body as a mule for this 'rosewood leg'. :)

I use Gerlitz #1 Guitar Wax, currently available for 15% off at Musician's Friend. It's the only one I'm sure has no silicone in it. All the auto paste waxes have silicone.

You could also just wipe on some plain mineral oil (aka "lemon oil"). Not Pledge, though.

Either way, it'll soak up a bit, and then just buff it off, fingerboard and all.

FWIW, I recall first wiping my neck with naphtha to raise the grain, and then sanding with some 3400 grit Micro Mesh. More like buffing than sanding, but it knocked down the raised grain. Then I applied the wax.

I'm mostly a neck player, which might be why the tone change was so apparent. I hear what I think of as piano attack when plugged in, too. Like a very direct front-of-note.

LowThudd likes this.

6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    How about Tru-oil? p_167009220_1.jpg

dreamingtele likes this.

7. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Nocaster.

GE Smith.

dreamingtele likes this.

8. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    In Australia, hmm, might be prohibitive to ship Gerlitz wax. Any straight carnauba will do it.

What we call mineral oil here is clear, and edible. It's available in pharmacies for ... intestinal lubrication, I guess. Or, add a touch of fake lemon scent, put it in tiny bottles, and sell to the guitar community as fretboard conditioner for about 20x the price.

Avoid linseed or castor, or olive. They'll all go rancid.

dreamingtele likes this.

9. dreamingtele

Thanks for the tips! I’ll get the carnauba wax right away and rub it on when I re-string my guitar. I dont want to take the neck off as it was set up nicely. Although I do my own set ups, it was the first time I had a pro guitar set up after moving to a new country where guitar techs are a plenty. I must say, I really need to focus and get serious on setting up guitars as I want to be able to do this set up on any guitar I want without spending so much! But he did things I cant do for now, like frets and all.

Yes, Ive noticed that too. The notes are clear and feel like its not getting absorbed by anything. Sustain is still there. Definitely the feel, attack and response changed. It was better. Maybe it was the set up, because from first fret to the last, the notes ring like crazy.

On the tone, Id have to spend more time on it if see if I can really describe what Im hearing.

moosie likes this.

10. dreamingtele

Well, I guess this neck spoiled everything as i can never get any cheaper guitar anymore and I can never play a slim to moderate necks anymore. These two are quite expensive id rather buy another fat u neck.

Im not sure if i can go back to the am pro neck too. But its begging to be a guitar again, so, Ill put it on a nice thinline body for the next project guitar!

11. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    i've never seen either one of those in a store, but i hear that they are fender's most substantive" offerings. i had an allparts tele neck tro-fat that was a baseball bat. but the op's looks a tad more chunky than that was.

12. dreamingtele

Im not sure if I can put this on, ive read about rosewood being oily that it wont absorb a finish? I like the bare wood feel, and im looking on something to make it look like it’s finished and maybe condition it.

Blue Bill likes this.

13. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    It doesn't really matter, though, does it. You like it, that's what counts.

14. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Your neck - based on how mine was the same light color at first - will definitely soak up whatever you use. I have not used Tru-Oil. I'd test on the heel first, personally. You're right about the general oily nature of rosewood, though. I wouldn't want to try and paint it, for example, and I'm doubtful that a waterslide decal finished with nitro would stay on the headstock. Probably just 'slide' right off.

15. dreamingtele

Yes! I really do!

Im curious though, as the AV64 is my dream tele, what made you decide that this neck will be live on it? Do you like it bette than the AV64 neck?

Though I can understand somehow that as I thought id never change anything on my am pro.

16. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Emphatically NO. I really like my stock AV64. I bought the neck on impulse, because it ticked nearly every box for me (only other would have been 7.25-9.5 compound radius).

I'm using the 64 body as a temporary home for the neck, while I figure something else out. But soon, the 64 will be back together. It was either that, or use my AV58, my only other Tele. Coin toss.

I have an alder blank waiting to be routed and sanded, but I work slowly. Spent this summer putting the woodshop together, and doing other projects with it. I don't want to just barely finish this one. If I do it, I want it to be the prototype of a repeatable process, so I can make more Tele bodies easily going forward. And then there's finishing. I've never sprayed nitro before. I'll go rattle can to start, maybe, but still sorting out the options to get my color choice (preval perhaps...). Or maybe I'll just man up and get a decent system, but first I really need to understand more.

And so it sits...

The AV64 neck is what they call an Oval C, or Fat C. You can see how they could start there, with such a fine profile, and dumb it down to the bland yellow processed cheese they call the modern Fender neck. But it's a shame. Mine measures .87" at the first, by 1.00" at the twelfth. You wouldn't think so, to look at it. Much thinner near the nut, of course, than the WD, but overall it's a nice full profile, for a C shape.

17. dreamingtele

Thanks for this! I havent tried a 64 but its the closest thing I cant get to a 60’s tele since they discontinued the AV62 which is what I really want. Double bound sunburst body, rosewood neck. See that i also got a sunburst for my am pro but no am pro tele with a rosewood board sang to me the day I got this guitar. But i was still wishing it was a rosewood board than a maple one.

18. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    CONGRATULATIONS!:) the neck is so beautiful, wax huh? well it certainly looks good how does it feel.
    I played a new rerelease of a gibson explorer in the late 70's ,the thought that went through my itty-bitty brain was this feels really good in my hand and "baseball bat" when I saw that they were making fatties I was joyous. as a slide player the mention of increased attack, piano-like attack was very sexy.

moosie likes this.

19. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    If you like fat necks, you might not get on with an AVRI 62. Notoriously skinny necks.

dreamingtele likes this.

20. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Feels great. The super slippery wax feel only lasts a few days, but it soaks in, and seems to permanently darken the wood, as well as provide a hard, ultra-thin protective layer. With the initial fine sanding, and the wax, it went from a piece of wood to a piece of furniture. Or a guitar leg. :) Just wipe it on with a damp sponge, and let it sit five minutes until it dries to a whitish haze. Then buff it off with a clean dry rag, rubbing hard enough to generate some heat.

The attack and resonance would do very well for slide.

Get one. Do it now. You know you want to. It's only $199. Jeez... (That's what I said, only to realize later that I didn't have any body to mount it to. OK, Mr. Smartypants...)

20171230_191131.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.