Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Rosewood Neck for my Tele!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dreamingtele, Dec 30, 2017.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

So I about to sell this american pro tele to buy another american pro with a rosewood fretboard.

But this one came along and changed the game.

[​IMG]

It's from WD Music, Baseball bat thick Vintage U neck, 6105 frets.

[​IMG]

This thing is bigger than the Baja neck I used to own. Quality is okay, my guitar tech did some fret levelling on a few frets but otherwise perfectly straight and stiff.

2. dreamingtele

Photos!

[​IMG]

Seriously, this neck is the biggest neck I've ever laid my hands on. It feels super nice! I love thick necks, gives me more leverage and it feels nice when I dig in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didnt hear any noticeable difference in the tone. I tested my guitar in the guitar tech's shop before the transplant and played it again after. it did add some mids, but the twang and highs are still there. The icepick has lessened a bit, but overall it's pretty much the same tone I've heard with the maple neck on.

The neck is unfinished, and feels smooth. Feels nice. Could do a little more smoothness as it's not like the roadworn necks and custom shop relic smoothness. Probably it's the rosewood's grain or something. But I love it.

Frets are okay, (as said by my guitar tech), overall construction of neck is okay. I wouldnt hesitate to order one again, but it may or may not need work on the setup to play nice.

Due to the thickness, the neck sits a little bit taller on the neck pocket. making the break angle of the strings from the bridge a little bit almost vertical. I think this is caused by the placement of the bridge on the american professional bodies or it may be the bridge plate itself. My guitar tech suggested to plane the neck base a bit to shave off the height and lessen the break angle, but I'm actually fine with it, as I dont think it can affect my tone that much. Im not really fussed about it though.

Overall, this made my tele a guitar that I will take to my grave.

And I have a spare neck waiting for a body to build my next guitar!

Lefty Addams, ftbtx, Tag303 and 19 others like this.
  3. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Really nice!

I have a similar sized maple neck from allparts on my Affinity and I love it(.97" at the 1st fret, 1" at the 12th). In my case, it completely changed the sound over the toothpick affinity neck. I really wasn't expecting that at all. I am still amazed.

nojazzhere and orangeblossom like this.
  4. dreamingtele

How do you like your neck though?

5. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    Looks nice, congrats. Does it add any weight to your guitar?

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Aren't these WD necks fantastic? I bought one this summer. Some carnauba paste wax really makes the color pop.

If I recall, it added a bit under 1/4 lb to the guitar's weight (rosewood, not wax!). Bigger tonal difference. (I just finished reading, and you hear no difference. Weird how that works, huh? Mine slapped me in the face. Bright (BRIGHT), resonant, piano-like attack. Very, very different. I like it.)

20170901_120605.jpg Waxed rear.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  7. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I love it. Much more comfortable than thinner necks. Great neck. Didn't even need a fret dress or a truss adjustment.

dreamingtele likes this.
  8. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    That's not a neck. It's a leg.

9. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    I was thinking about purchasing one of these. What did your tech charge you to drill the mounting holes? I'm not comfortable doing that part of the process. Also, would you say you have big hands? I've got huge palms but average finger length. I'm curious whether or not I would get along with this neck.

10. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    Beautiful. I like the louisevile slugger necks. Funny, when I was young, everyone was wild about the slimmer profiles of the 60s strats and SGs. It was hard to sell an older guitar.

The first electric I ever had was a 59 Les Paul Jr with a very thick neck. My friends’ SGs felt wonderful.

Now, I can’t abide slim necks. Yours looks just right.

dreamingtele and nojazzhere like this.
  11. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    Michigan
    Man is that a chunk of wood!
    very nice!

dreamingtele likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    When I replaced my Fender neck with a Warmoth fatback conversion neck, it just SANG....it's mahogany with rosewood fretboard. Yours looks like one I could get along with...

dreamingtele likes this.
  13. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    that there is about the fattest tele neck i've ever seen. it's barely been shaved down at all on the back. :)

and fwiw (anecdotally, of course) no neck or body swap has ever made any tonal change to any fenders i've owned...and i've owned quite a few. only the obvious suspects made any tonal changes.

congrats. enjoy that monster. :)

dreamingtele likes this.
  14. dreamingtele

Yes, but not so much. But on it’s own, It was also significantly heavier than the orig Maple neck of the am pro. Though that it would neck dive because the 2pc alder body I have is very light.

15. dreamingtele

Glad to know I’m not alone in getting this neck!

Can you share with me the brand of the carnauba wax? Mine feels and looks quite dry and needing something to make it pop.

I didnt notice any brightness in my tele other than the usual tele bright twang when I switch to the bridge pickup. Whenever i set up my guitar, I really focus on the bridge pickup because thats where im at 99.9% of the time. And I loved the tone that I was getting with the maple neck on it, and was afraid it’ll change with the neck swap, but im glad it didnt. If anything, the same as you described it, I feel it resonates more and has that “piano attack” when unplugged.

I love that red color! Fiesta red? That would so be an awesome combination! I’ve always loved 60’s car colors with rosewood fretboards!

16. dreamingtele

Haha! I feel like Im holding my wrist when I wrap my fingers around the nut area!

Its so fat, i love it!

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

I have med/large hands, but only my middle finger is longish. My pinky is over an inch shorter than my middle finger. The FAT neck feels fine to me, I just tend to overhang my thumb less. I feel less fatigue in my joints than a thin neck like on my Strat.

dreamingtele likes this.
  18. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    That's beautiful!

dreamingtele likes this.
  19. dreamingtele

I’m in australia, so charges would be different to yours and would vary from tech to another.

I dont have big hands. For a normal, asian, 5’11 guy, i must say that I have smaller hands than average. Im having a hard time getting that Hendrix-thumb over the E string. So that could give you an idea of how small my hands are. But the thick neck was no problem. Its more comfortable than anything ive ever played on. Just my preference, maybe so, but the Baja neck would give you an idea of how fat this is. If you dont like the Baja, you wont like this. The thing is, when i had my Baja, I knew i could always go fatter and was hoping that it was.

I also realized that the soft-V profile doesnt work for me, I though it was when I had my Baja, but this is fuller U shape which makes my hand grip it comfortably.

This neck ruined everything for me. I dont think i can ever go back to a production guitar unless i find a neck this thick. Im unsure what tele model fender makes that has this U shape baseball bat neck

chemobrain likes this.
  20. dreamingtele

I cant play slim necks anymore. Thanks to this!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.