Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New rig- six month report.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    It's been a little over six months since I dropped the tube amps, and the pedal board, and went ultra simple and ultra lightweight with a DV Mark FGC121 combo, and a TC Electronic Nova System for effects.

I do not use patches on the Nova. I have it set up as individual pedals for each button. Works like my old board, but it's 1/4 the size and far lighter.

I met a lot of resistance when I did this. From my band, from musician friends, from my studio engineer friends. Next to nobody thought it was a good idea. The thing I heard most was that I was being silly, and in six months I'd be buying tube amps and pedals again, and trying to live down this ridiculous experiment.

So now it's a little more than six months later...

I've never been happier. Ever.

This six month period marks the longest I have ever gone in 33 years of playing guitar without making ANY changes to my amp or effects rig. And I have no desire to.

The amp sounds fantastic. It has plenty of power. After six months I'm convinced there will never be a gig too large for it. And it works great a quiet restaurant levels, too. Always sounds like it should, no matter what level. Doesn't sound thin and wimpy at low volumes, doesn't compress, flatten out and saturate at high volumes. Perfect. And I only need one amp. No more having piles of them for every possible scenario.

And it's so easy to move. I pick up tube amps at the shop all the time to move them around, and can't wrap my head around ever paying that much money again to haul around something so heavy with such limited performance range and dynamics.

The Nova System is great, too. I have it in a small carry case with all of my cables and my mic, and it's so much smaller and lighter than my old board. It sounds incredible as well. With the analog drive section, built in boost, and other digital effects it's just the perfect package.

The whole rig is so dead simple, and I've had nothing but compliments. Nothing. The ones I get the most are from people who can't believe it's an SS amp. The second most is that people can't believe it's a multi FX unit. To be truthful, I can't either. But it is what it is.

Anyhow, that's the six month report. Anybody who's been around this forum long enough knows I go through gear like water, so keeping the same rig for six months is a huge milestone for me. Having no desire to change ANYTHING after all that time is even bigger.

2. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    that's pretty cool. I will have to look those things up, as I have never heard of either of them before. I am suspecting that the DV Mark thing might be related to the Mark bass class-D stuff. But I will have to confirm that.

Jakedog likes this.

3. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    DV Mark is the guitar division of Markbass. The Nova System is a multi effect box by TC Electronic.

4. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

Isn’t it an awesome thing when you take a giant chance like that...break the norm and stereotypes... and it pays off big time.

Jakedog likes this.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Unfortunately it seems they might have discontinued the Nova System. Very few seem to carry it.

@Jakedog, as you my recall, around the same time, I went through a very similar process.

I stopped chasing tube amps because they didn't give me what I wanted. I found the Roland JC-40 and haven't thought about another amp since. Not quite as light as the DV Mark but at 34lbs not an anvil, and I like 2x10.

More curious, I think I found a multi-effect that finally solves all my pedal issues. And it's DIGITAL. Including the drives and comps. But I love it. The Line 6 HX Effects. I'm a complete K.I.S.S. guy so this shocks me. But it is dead simple to use and operates just like a physical board once set up. Setup was a breeze. I created a board for my original rock band in 20 minutes at 1 in the morning last night, after a couple glasses of rye. The sounds are outstanding. The footprint is small. The chorus and reverb are so good, I don't need the extra cable and footswitch for amp chorus or reverb anymore. Just two cables for guitar and amp, one power supply and the HX on the floor. The side benefit of the HX is there is no opportunity for pedal GAS. It has models for just about everything. They are all great. If boredom or curiosity sets in (it always seems to) new great sound are a few buttons away.

If you had asked me 6 months ago if I would be here, I wouldn't have believed it either.

Glad you found your solution, and it is holding!

6. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    Awesome. It's great finding something that just works and completely satisfies you.

I picked up a Line 6 Helix and a JBL Eon 612 last fall. September it was...I've never been happier. I've sold all of my tube amps minus my old SF Vibro Champ. Completely satisfied.

It's a bit overkill...as I only use 2 or 3 amp models regularly, but simplicity and tonal consistency is fantastic, and priceless really. (IMO)

Like the comment above mine, that HX Effects is all of the Helix effects (plus all of the M and HD level ones too) in a box with no amp or cab modeling. If the Nova craps out, give it a look...some of the HX models are just phenomenal and are popping up on touring players' boards all the time.

Have you compared the DV to a Tech 21 TM60? I have one of those, and am considering trying out the DV just to have a good lightweight amp around.

Jakedog and MilwMark like this.

7. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I haven't tried a Tech 21 in many years. It was at least 15 years ago the last time I plugged into one. I remember thinking it was good, but not for me. Don't really remember the why's and wherefor's.

RyCo1983 likes this.

8. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    No worries! It makes a fine jam room amp for when company is over to pick a bit! But the design is from 1996 IIRC. A bit dated!

Mechanic and Jakedog like this.

9. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    Good for you JD!.... small and light is a joy. I still use tubes but it's a NV Princeton and a Boss ME80. works just like individual pedals..... Love it.. Amp, fx, guitar 2 cables.... I'm up and running in less than 5 minutes. Easy to tweak if needed for the room..
    Cheers

Jakedog likes this.

10. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Meister

May 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    So I'm curious: When you do things that are overdriven, are you doing it in the Amp or just letting the Nova do its thing?

--Mark

Jakedog likes this.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    @Jakedog, as a guy who also has and uses the DV Mark FGC121 combo, I'm curious what you think about the mids tonality of the amp. I personally find those mids a bit harsh, when pushed beyond 2:00 or so on the mids knob, and yet, I do find myself wanting (at times) more mids from my sound than what is available at that point, from the amp (it's a non-issue for me, because I use a multi FX with EQ options,with great results).

It certainly is a joy to have weight be absolutely not a factor

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Jakedog likes this.

12. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Both. Because each channel on the amp has a separate gain and master, I can bump up the gain a little on the clean channel to give me a little hair on my cleans when I hit it hard. Then I use the Nova for real OD and boost, etc.

13. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I usually keep the mids on mine around 1 o'clock. To me that kinda puts it in Brit territory, which is what I like. To me it's definitely a mid-forward voiced amp. I can run them a good bit lower than that and still not be Fender style scooped. Which is cool by me. I'm not into the scoopy thing. I haven't gone for an extreme mid bump because I don't feel the need, but I'll try pushing them up more and seeing what it does.

I like mids.

blowtorch and Lef T like this.

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Me too. Just not past around 2:00, on this particular amp, without some kind of help, or sweetener.

Interested in hearing your feedback on this, once you've checked it out further!

Jakedog likes this.

15. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Sweetwater's got 'em.

Jakedog likes this.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    They show as out of stock. And have for quite some time. Making me wonder if they were phased out.

Jakedog likes this.

17. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Hmmm...I stand corrected.

p.s. Well, I just went and they let me put it in my cart and proceed with the order. They were about to take my money. Didn't say they were out of stock, but that there is additional delivery time required from TC Electronic. So...clear as mud.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Jakedog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.