Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

New Rice Custom Osprey

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by gatorsig, Mar 22, 2011.

1. gatorsig

gatorsig TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    After lurking on this forum for about a year, it is finally time for me to post something.

I am now the proud owner of Rice Custom Guitar #165:
    http://ricecustomguitars.com/mid.html?rcg165

This is my first custom guitar and I could not be any happier about this beauty! When I began to consider a custom guitar, I read some great reviews on this forum and others, which led me to give the Rice guys a call. I just wanted everyone to know what an absolute joy it was to work with Rich and Chris. From the first time I spoke with Chris about what I was looking for in a custom guitar until the day it arrived at my door, they have been helpful, informative, and educational. Each step of the way, I received regular updates and questions about modifications I may or may not want. These fine men could not have been kinder. Overall, it was one of the most pleasurable buying experiences I have ever had!

The guitar plays like an absolute dream. The neck is easily the most comfortable that I have ever touched. The tone is spectacular; the controls are beyond my wildest dreams. After only being exposed to the guitars that one finds in a music store, I had no idea that an instrument could be so wonderful. The only problem I see is that I am becoming spoiled with how great the tone is from my Osprey. I also own a Fender '52 AVRI Tele and a Fender Deluxe Amer Strat; I really love them, but I can see that their electronics will need some work in order to come close to what I have in the Osprey.

Rich did such an amazing job with the finish! I was born in Florida and wanted a guitar that visually reminded me of the water. The maple top looks like a boat wake in the ocean! The neck is smooth as silk and as I mentioned is super comfortable. Every detail brings out the beauty in the guitar: the grain and feel of the wood, the abalone dots, and the binding all make the guitar is a real "looker." I have received many compliments from everyone who has seen it.

The pickups that Chris wound for me are off the chart! The humbucker in the bridge can be split into either a bright or dark sounding single coil. The P90 in the neck has an amazing growl. Chris matched the pickups PERFECTLY! I can tell that he put many hours into making the guitar sound just right! When I combine them in the middle position, I find the sweet spot of the guitar. Overall, it has 7 different voicings (with the HB splits), and I love them all.

In summary, I couldn't be happier with my new Rice Custom Osprey. If you're considering a custom build, I HIGHLY recommend you give the guys at Rice Custom Guitars a call. They are great!

2. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2004
    LI New York
    Congrats! Looks awesome!

3. moonshiner

moonshiner Friend of Leo's

Congrats...

Those guys do great work!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. starjag

starjag Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2009
    Ontario
    Looks fantastic!!!

6. ELK Guitars

ELK Guitars TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Lockport, New York
    I saw the video of chris demo'in that guitar on youtube! pretty sweet! congrats...

7. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Thank you for the kindness. It has been a pleasure working with you. ;) Enjoy your guitar!

8. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Look, I see the ocean!

[​IMG]

Excellent! I was lucky to be included on the Osprey Tour (#127), so for about a week I knew exactly how you feel. Rich and Chris are great guys to deal with, and the Osprey was super.

9. gatorsig

gatorsig TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It's right next to me, but I still love that picture! Now... back to playing.

10. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    So, did you name it yet? :lol:

11. gatorsig

gatorsig TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I haven't named it yet. But I'm considering "Uncle Ben" in honor of you guys! :D

12. Big Burly

Big Burly Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Wow... That sure is purty!

13. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

I don't have an Uncle Ben, but I have a Great-great-grandpa Ben! :D

14. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    So now that you've lived with it a while, are you two still getting along? ;)

15. gatorsig

gatorsig TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yes, we are getting along splendidly! Although we just moved to Colorado (hence the delay in my response) and things have been very hectic. Thanks so much for checking in!

16. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Mar 2, 2011
    Reno
    Great review on the osprey guitar. Never saw or heard of them before.

17. gatorsig

gatorsig TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Well, I figured my boat wake ocean blue guitar needed a Surf-Tone Blue Princeton Reverb amp. I've been playing a Twin Reverb for years. Finally sold it and picked up this amazing amp. I feel like I've been missing out until now!

Oh, and my Rice Osprey is still my best playing guitar!

[​IMG]

18. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Looks great! I mostly play through my silverface Princeton Reverb amp, too. Great sound without killing the audience or excessive stage volume. Great combination!

19. gatorsig

gatorsig TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yeah, Rich. I picked Christopher's brain as I shopped. I agree completely: great tone at a great volume!!

20. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    Beautiful...congrats. I love the look of the Osprey.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.