Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New relic strat build --- Pics

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by flyingbanana, Dec 17, 2010.

1. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Post some pics...

2. Zenzeypher

Zenzeypher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    I started a thread on it, minimal replies.

It started off as a mashed up purple Affinity. I applied Silver foil to insulate the insides, changed the pick guard, resprayed matte black and then appliied paint remover and left areas. I thought alot about the process and wanted to invert some areas and go abit extreme but leave the dirt if you get me. with a final coat of nitro with 0000 applied.

Im not saying it's amazing, to me it looks alot like a reliced Mayer.

Attached Files:

3. flyingbanana

Well hey....we all gotta start somewhere. As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters ultimately.

4. Zenzeypher

Zenzeypher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    I love it, to me it looks sweet.

If it were someone elses who wanted an extreme relic, I woulda left the guard white/yellow, coffee stained the **** outta everything and wanged up and worn the fretboard too, left the nitro off the body and make it look more natural.

5. flyingbanana

Pics coming up. I've begun the neck aging and used the tea and vinegar method and have used thinner to wear away some of the nitro on the body. It's a work in progress...

6. flyingbanana

New pics of relic in process --

Here are a couple of pics. Not finished yet. Initially, was second guessing myself on the body relic part. My wife reassured my it's actually starting to look a bit more realistic. I was almost tempted to remove all the paint and just redo it...put it back under the uv light and call it a day. But....the experience will do me good.

Also figured out how to age the pickguard. I have a mint green one and what I did was scuff up the areas not under the strings and used a wood dye. Turned out pretty good. It has a kind of mottled, worn look.

Attached Files:

7. flyingbanana

Well...removed all the paint and through another couple of coats of Zinsser SealCoat and did some touch up sanding.

As of right now, thanks to the warm weather, I have 4 coats of Oly white and about 6 coats of clear gloss. I'll let it fume out for a week and harden before I wet sand and stick it under the uv lamp again. Now I'm wondering what to do to the neck...if I ought to just leave it as is. I think it'll look out of place attached to a body that doesn't look so beat up anymore.

8. flyingbanana

Refinished pics ---

Here are the updated refinish pics. Now it's off to dry for a week or 2. I'm happy with the neck overall, although I do think it may be to much for the more conservative finish on the body.

Edit. The neck isn't orange. That pic is deceiving. It's the usual amber color.

Attached Files:

9. IntelligentAl

IntelligentAl TDPRI Member

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    What is the tea and vinegar method? Ive yet to really age the neck on my relic and your results look good so Id be tempted to try it.

10. flyingbanana

This method involves soaking a piece of steel wool in regular vinegar overnight. I used organic apple cider vinegar with fine results however. :D

Then, the next day, steep 5 or 6 black tea bags in a little hot water.

Step 1) Dip a cloth in the mixture and rub on a small amount of the black tea onto the bare wood you'll be aging. Let that dry for 10 or 15 minutes.

Step 2) Use a different cloth, and lightly wet it with the vinegar solution and rub evenly over the area you just rubbed tea on.

Step 3) Keep a seperate damp cloth handy. The wood can get pretty gray if you aren't careful. Use the damp cloth to wipe any excess off to keep from getting darker.

Step 4) sand back a little to lighten up the wood and bring out a little grain.

Step 5) You can either leave it as is, or put on a couple light coats of Tru Oil to protect the wood. This doesn't look like a natural relic using the Tru Oil, but I think it makes the neck play a little faster and helps protect against humidity and hand sweat.

11. IntelligentAl

IntelligentAl TDPRI Member

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Hmmmm that sounds great, I think if I get a chance over the weekend I'll have to give that a try. I was tempted to just leave the neck as is and et it wear naturally, but after seeing your neck I think thats the way to go.

Thanks for the info :D

12. flyingbanana

New pics....refinish -- neck and body. Aged pickguard and back plate. Some light wear on neck. Not to overdone. Will take my time and create some additional light relicing. No paint removal this time. :neutral:

Have some D Allen pickups in it. Plays and sounds really good. The body resonates a ton on the three lower strings...what I was hoping for. Sustains better than my Deluxe.

Attached Files:

13. flyingbanana

More pics...not green, but yellow. I thing it was something to do with the sunlight...maybe the lawn? :D

Body was aged under a UV light for over a week total. It has a very nice yellowing going on, but not as obvious in these outdoor shots.

Attached Files:

14. flyingbanana

Couple of shots after a "light" relicing this time. :rolleyes: At this point though, before I do anything else, I'll let it cure for a month or two to harden the finish. When the paint is still so soft, it's difficult to make dings or scratches because of how soft the nitro still is. Than again...I may leave well enough alone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

15. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Any idea how long the nitro needs to sit before blasting it with "air in a can" to get it to check.

I like the way this strat is coming out.

I'm working on an Esquire relic at the moment after a long spell of not doing any projects at all.

16. flyingbanana

3 weeks or longer in the dry heat of southern Calif. I tried that after a week, but the finish healed up in a few days. It was still relatively soft. I may try it again, but I've got the guitar for sale.

What works good for the checking is to wax the guitar, but don't wipe off the wax. Then after you get the finish to check, quickly wipe the wax into the cracks. Keeps em open. That's what I've done.

17. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY

18. flyingbanana

Don't mean to come across sounding like a know-it-all if I did. Most of what I've learned came from a fast paced course of hands on and a lot of good advice on the forum...

I still can't believe that I'm building guitars. It pretty crazy considering I don't really come from a wood working background. I'm enjoying it a lot.

19. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

Lovely guitar, the final "lightly reliced" is by far the nicest to me...

20. flyingbanana

Thanks. I appreciate that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.