Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New relic strat build --- Pics

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by flyingbanana, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Muddy T-Bone

Muddy T-Bone Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2009
    Folsom, CA
    Colt,

Nice eye for color tone and patina.

So how are you getting away with the mix above? As I recall the bottle says 1 drop transtint per quart of lacquer, so based on your formula above that's over a gallon of lacquer? That can't be right.

2. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Be putting up some pics soon. Got the body polished, first unplanned ding. (stupid springs...)

Relic started already apparently.

3. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2011
    Michigan USA
    In my opinion, Ohio Valley is the best nitro. I've tried em' all (I'm pretty sure), Ohio Valley and Behlen have been my faves.
    On another note..... Wow, the talent on here is mind blowing. I havent been a member to long, but I have spent a bit of time on here the past week waiting for all my wood and parts to come in the mail for projects I have lined up- But wow has it been time well spent just combing threads and gaining knowledge and its been nice being able to give back a little too- I do not know anybody locally where I live who is a luthier-the conversation has been stimulating, inspiring and fun...... so i guess....... A HUGE FRICKIN THANKS TO EVERYONE ON HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. flyingbanana

New Pics - pre relic

Here are a couple of pics. I am not a camera guy...or my camera just sucks. The oly white has no yellow in it...well maybe just a tinge, but not anywhere near as much as the second pic shows. It really is oly white but with a slight blue shade to it.

I'll be getting an industrial uv lamp and as soon as I have the pickguard on, I'll have it under the lamp for about a week...front and back.

This will give it the aged look after which I will begin removing some paint.

I only hope I can do it justice.

Attached Files:

5. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 27, 2006
    GA
    Nice work so far

6. flyingbanana

Thanks. I've started aging the finish. I have a 150 watt PowerSun UV bulb shining down on it. I'll leave it for a few days and remove the pickguard and see how the aging is coming along. From what I've read....it takes a couple of weeks or more to accomplish. I'll put up pics howing the progress...if this works.

Here's how I set it up in my shed...simple frame and a plywood sheet over the top with a flood light fixture containing the uv bulb. It'll be on 24 hours a day.

Edit...something must be happening, because while you can put your hand under the bulb, it's not very hot, but over time, the guitar body has become warm. Not hot...but obviously uv rays are doing their thing. I'm hopeful. I really don't want to have to wait 40 years...:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

7. PaisleyIsGod

PaisleyIsGod Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2008
    Halifax
    I love this thread. Can't wait to see more pictures and read about your aging process. Awesome work.

8. flyingbanana

Nitro aging pics....

Well, here's a few pics for you guys. I think that it turned out pretty good. Question is...should I keep it under the lamp a bit more? What do you guys think based on these pics?

Attached Files:

9. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I think it's time to play.

10. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

May 3, 2009
    Auburndale Florida
    I like it as is. How long under the lamp did it take to get to this point. Great thread!

11. flyingbanana

Thanks for the compliments..
    It only took 3 days. It's one powerful lamp. I didn't have it on the whole time either...initially. It did run for 2 straight days. I've flipped it over for the back side, and then on to the neck. Pics to follow...

12. ledet

ledet Tele-Holic

Jun 2, 2009
    Hjørring, Denmark
    Great aging with the lamp!

13. Old Cane

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    So it's done on both sides?

14. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Your ratio is off Muddy.

1 bottle of tint will make 2 quarts at full strength.

15. flyingbanana

Now that you mention it...I'm not sure. I was assuming that nitro aged consistently over the entire surface of the finish...except those areas covered by the pickguard...etc. Can someone chime in on that?

16. Old Cane

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    You know I was just kidding, right? I'd put that thing to work this week.

17. flyingbanana

I might be a little more dense than usual this week...:p

18. PaisleyIsGod

PaisleyIsGod Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2008
    Halifax
    Are you planning to make arm wear etc and have the burst visible underneath? Or go all the way to the wood through the white and burst? Excited to see more.

19. flyingbanana

Yep...

I was gonna shoot for this...but may not go to quite that extent. The goal is for it to look like a well taken care of relic job but nicely worn and nicked in the appropriate places. I really don't want any rust...I don't like rust. Here's what the original goal was. The second pic is what I'm probably going to shoot for here...although the neck will be rosewood. Likely something in between the two...

I'm working on getting the the finish darker under the lamp now though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

20. Zenzeypher

Zenzeypher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Id relic the crap out of it.

Im odd for Relics as I love messed up bodies but clean necks. I did a relic not so long ago and took of a crap ton of finish I applied strickly to remove.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.