Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New relic strat build --- Pics

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by flyingbanana, Dec 17, 2010.

1. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Hey everyone. A new year brings us a new build...at least one that I'm excited about enough to share with you. Here are a couple of pics just to get started. Grain filled using only Zinsser Sealcoat and sanded to 320. I used 3 coats, and I'm super happy with the results. The surface is smooth like glass. I have a tiny bit more sanding around the horns and the bottom.

Other than that, I'm waiting on my shipment of nitro from reranch. Thanks Bill...for putting up with all my emails and questions!

I'll be doing a 3 color sunburst with another color on top...not sure if I'm going to go arctic white or olympic white...Bill said he's gettin a new fresh batch that will be like the original oly without the green. ;)

After all is said and done, I'll be doing some heavy relicing after the nitro is all cured. All hardware will be lightly aged. I'm not a fan of rust.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010

2. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2004
    NW Atlanta
    NOW the Olympic White is finally gonna be white? :oops:
    I wasted a can of RR OW on a body and had to shoot over it with RR Arctic White.
    The "greenish" look was cool, but not what I was after.

Glad to hear that Bill is modifying the formula, but a bit late for me.
    Please post pics when your guitar is finished.

3. flyingbanana

Haha. I hope so. I keep trying to order it, but Bill keeps telling me to hold off. They must be having a tough time getting in the new batch on time. I'm cautious here. I don't want to ruin this project. I may just shoot for arctic white. Who knows....we'll see.

Oh, and don't worry. I'll be posting pics all along the way. :p

4. paulsoud

paulsoud Tele-Meister

Aug 3, 2010
    Davidson, NC
    Looks beautiful so far, that's a pretty slab of wood ya got there.

5. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    Seems a shame to cover that nice grain with a solid colour.

6. flyingbanana

Yeah...I hate that too. Funny thing is, I told Tommy to pick me some good wood that didn't need to have the best looking grain because of my goal of oly white over burst.

I will just have to get over my desire to tru oil it and be done. :D

7. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 27, 2006
    GA
    Nice looking body. Fine wood grain but it's not so nice that I would feel bad covering it up. Looking forward to your build.

8. flyingbanana

I agree, and looking forward to warm and dry weather here in ahemmmm "sunny so cal," so I can get started!

I think we are in the midst of winter folks.

9. Hollmanp90

Hollmanp90 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Congrats on getting started..........Build it how you want it and ENJOY !!!!

[​IMG]

10. flyingbanana

Quick question about the neck in this project...

Should I avoid applying a sander sealer on the neck? Also, I was wondering if anybody has used the amber lacquer in reranch's 3 color burst kit to give their neck a vintage look. I guess I could try to spray it on some scrap first, but thought I'd ask if anyone likes it as a neck finish. I was thinking of spraying some and then going to a clear.

11. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2004
    NW Atlanta
    I have finished a couple maple necks in nitro and have not used sanding sealer...just a sealer coat of nitro, if you're gonna tint it. (I forget...are you using mahogany or something different? :oops: Sorry)

I'm not sure if the amber lacquer in the 3 color burst is different than the Reranch Neck Amber or not.

I used the RR Neck Amber, but thought it was a little too orange-y.
    I'm really tempted to strip it, tint and and use tru oil.

12. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I am not a fan of the tinted clear lacquer. I like the regular clear. I use sander sealer (brushed on) before spraying the clear but I think you would be fine either way..................I would give some thought to leaving that body natural

13. Phaze

Phaze Tele-Holic

Yeah, especially if you want it to "wear" quicker. Maple is so fine grained, it doesn't really need sanding sealer. I used Behlen's Oak Golden judiciously applied over a coat of clear, followed by more clear to taste. Vintagey but avoids the orangey vibe.

14. flyingbanana

Reason I ask is that I'm sanding to 1000 grit right now and still seeing raised wood fibers. If I wet the surface, wouldn't that simply raise yet more wood fibers? Should I simply continue lightly sanding until I don't see them any more?

I guess I'm being impatient...I mean....what's a guy gonna do when it's cold and rainy anyways? I'm piddling around here trying to stay busy with my project here. :p

15. flyingbanana

Here are a couple of pics after spray testing on a piece of maple. I'm trying to figure out how many coats of amber nitro I'll need. I'm using the reranch amber. Let me know what you think. I'm thinking it looks ok, but I might do a couple more coats and go a bit darker.

Attached Files:

16. flyingbanana

Hello....is there anybody in there..? Just nod if you can hear me. Is there anyone at home?

17. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I always use a sealer under lacquer.

18. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    This is the color I shoot for
    [​IMG]

On a relic
    [​IMG]

19. KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52 Tele-Meister

What do you use to get that color? I'm going to spray my neck this weekend, and I also ordered the 'Amber Tint' lacquer from ReRanch. I want a vintage tint, but I want it to actually look natural, not forced. Should I ditch that stuff, or just apply very lightly?

20. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I tint the lacquer with Transtint Vintage Amber, then add a few drops of Orange transtint, and one or two drops of red transtint

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.