Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Player Series Tele Bridge Saddles Surface

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by John C, Oct 1, 2018.

1. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Probably not - in the photos (with the new bridge) it looks like they have pretty much the same saddles as the old MIM Standards or the MIM Deluxes - longer cast saddles with longer openings. It's easier to slap on different saddles from the parts bin than to reprogram the CNC.

2. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2018
    USA
    I just spoke to Fender and they will replace the old bridge with a new bridge with the new saddles under factory warranty. I already called the shop where I bought the guitar and they will order the new bridge and will replace it under warranty when it comes in.

3. Beech Creek Gary

Beech Creek Gary TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Hawkins County, Tennessee
    If they aren't making any changes to the guitar then it is unlikely that they will be replacing guitars just for faulty saddles.

4. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2018
    USA
    Fender offered me a brand new replacement guitar, OR to have a new bridge sent to the shop where I purchased the guitar to have it replaced under warranty. I really bonded with the guitar I bought, so I elected the latter.

boris bubbanov likes this.

5. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Glad Fender worked on it instead being sweeping this under the carpet.

6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Glad to hear it!

I think that the tech who has my guitar has finally gotten it through the heads at Fender's Warranty Department that I want to keep the one I already and just replace the bridge. To date they haven't shipped a replacement guitar to the tech, who informed me yesterday that Sonic Red Teles are backordered until the end of October! Hopefully the bridge only will be on its way to the tech and I'll get the guitar back soon.

OldGuy6873 likes this.

7. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    It's kind of bonkers but the difference in pay grades between getting it fixed in the US vs replacing it with another one right out of Mexico might be a factor in them offering whole guitars.

PCollen and OldGuy6873 like this.

8. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2018
    USA
    What's interesting is that when I spoke to Fender last night, and they offered me a complete replacement, I said "NO WAY!! I love the one I have!!" and the guy told me,"no problem, just have the warranty center contact us and we'll send them a new bridge and they will install it for you."

I think they totally get it that they screwed up and are even trying to keep it a little quiet, because I think their sales of this line are through the roof. Many styles/colors on backorder already. Even before this debacle.

9. eddy8dynamite

eddy8dynamite TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jun 28, 2015
    Chardon, Ohio
    Feeling the bit of a soothsayer right now... It's not impossible that in a couple of decades one of these Teles with the original bridge will be so "rare" that you'll be able to add an extra zero to the resale value. Kind of like a dollar bill with one side printed upside-down.

Yes, I know, rare doesn't necessarily = good. That doesn't seem to stop some people from parting with their money though.

10. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Well I just talked to the tech at the dealer - the reason why mine is slotted for replacement is that the bridge on mine is not installed in the correct place on the body, so just replacing the bridge won't work - they would have to move the mounting holes for the bridge in the body of this one. Evidently it was the first batch of Sonic Red ones that have this problem; the second batch of Sonic Red ones have the bridge in the correct place and would only need to have the bridge replaced.

Worse news - no more Sonic Red ones in stock to be sent for a warranty replacement (why it wasn't sent last week when this was supposed to happen I don't know); Sonic Red won't be available until maybe Christmas time. I don't want to wait that long, so I'm going with a 3-color burst as that is all they have in stock for the dealer to order with the Pau Ferro fingerboard. I should have that one next week. Okay - the Sonic Red was cool, but I'm really more concerned with the feel and tone so as long as the sunburst meets those criteria I'll be somewhat satisfied. Not totally down on Fender, just puzzled by the whole thing. Of course that opens the door to adding a Sonic Red Player Strat at some point in the future.

ozzeng and OldGuy6873 like this.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Doug, I think there's room for both six saddle and three saddle Fender Telecaster models.

If I could Blackball something, it would be the vintage sized, 6 "hammer" saddle bridges and perhaps those are going extinct. This Player is in many ways a Modern specifications guitar and FMIC should make and sell as many as they can. I'm grateful that the bridge can be so easily replaced with a 3 barrel type. I'm delighted to see it done this way - what I DO NOT like is the American Standard/Series/Deluxe/Pro template where the through holes are in the foreward location. That screws things up for me - this doesn't (except the neck sections are still too thin).

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

No way. Incredibly costly, confusing and inexplicable.

If they do this, then you are offering a duplicate of the American model. There's no sense in doing that; it'd undercut their #1 USA model Tele.

And people like me would be apoplectic. It would be like junking a car because the tires are worn out.

Look at the piddly little solutions FMIC came up with on the MIM Blacktop Teles, and on various Cabronitas. That's more their style.

13. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2018
    USA
    I was just popping on to post something like what you just said. You are absolutely correct and I learned this earlier when I dropped off my guitar at the shop where I bought it.

They will have to measure the string holes with where the bridge saddles are to see if they can retrofit the new saddles onto the guitar. If they can't, I can either keep the guitar as is, which some people are electing to do, or trade up for a whole new guitar. I really hope they can retrofit the new saddles as I've already bonded with this guitar.

In any case, I'll see what happens on Monday or Tuesday.

14. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    I do like mine, but in all honesty I haven't had it for a month now (between dropping it off first at GC and then taking it to a mom & pop dealer). I suppose I'm just going to take the replacement and if I don't dig it then I'll either try to trade up or sell it and get something else down the road.

15. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2012
    England
    Well, all in all quite a huge b****-up, from the big F.

16. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Dec 21, 2013
    Mpls/St. Paul, MN
    I just looked online at the Sweetwater Butterscotch Series Telecasters. Two have bent steel saddles and two have block saddles. I think I'll give it another year before I consider a Player Series Tele.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018

17. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Get one with the block saddles; you should be good to go. These really have great necks and very nice pickups - similar to the 2008-2011 (well, February 2012) American Standard alnico V pickups.

Echo79 likes this.

18. Echo79

Echo79 TDPRI Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Georgia, USA
    I have a first-run Player Series Tele that came with bent-steel saddles. I called Fender Customer Support and they told me to take it to my local Guitar Center; they wouldn't just send me block saddles. I bought a MIM Standard bridge off Amazon for $25 and put those block saddles on mine. I figured $25 was worth not having to leave it at GC for who knows how long.

Guitar sounds awesome though. I highly recommend the Player Series Tele, especially now if they come with block saddles.

19. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2018
    USA
    Turns out, they can't retrofit the new saddles on my Tele. They suggested I get a replacement in case I want to put in a new bridge, eventually. So I agreed, but they said that my guitar won't ship to me until early November. Sucks.

I called Fender to complain. They're sending me a free T-Shirt, LOL.

20. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Still waiting on my replacement as well - it was ordered last week but maybe will come in tomorrow or next week. I had to take my 2nd choice color - 3-color burst - as they don't know when they will have more sonic red Teles. The eta on sonic red could be as late as Christmas.:(

Also not pleased with Fender on this as I thought I was being shipped a sonic red replacement 2 weeks ago - I think they should have taken care of all the warranty replacements before fulfilling new dealer orders with the revised ones.

OldGuy6873 and Hughmart like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.