Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New pedal line from Danelectro, they look really cool!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ftbtx, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    I don't care how my pedals look. No one looks at pedals. They look at the performer first, then the instrument, and then sometimes - sometimes - the amp.

emisilly and Leandro Diana like this.

2. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Phil McKnight's YouTube Channel offered the first actual demo of the Pride of Texas overdrive, at least that I could find.

I thought it sounded interesting, but it wasn't entirely clear what the pedal is trying to do. The Danelectro description and pedal name clearly evoke an SRV/Tubescreamer - so that puts us in TS9, TS10, TS808, or Maxon OD territory. But Phil's description of what it does makes it sound almost more like a boost pedal with active tone control. Not that that's a bad thing - I end up interested in that sort of pedal almost ad nauseum.

The other interesting thing about comparing it to a Tubescreamer sound is that most Tubescreamers cut bass and compress high treble to emphasize mids, but Phil's description of the tone sweep sounded a lot more full range than that. I guess the best case scenario would "hot rodded Tubescreamer with more output and tone control - like a souped-up Bad Monkey", while the worst case may be something like the EHX Crayon, which some people liked but I found to be trebly, harsh, and mostly unpleasant.

He mentioned that the volume and tone controls were very aggressive, so I'd like to see a more traditional demo with shots of what the settings are doing versus bypass tone, etc. But for around $70, I'd be interested in this one and possibly the rotary. The idea of new pedal products from Danelectro is unexpected but interesting - a lot of their cheap stuff actually sounded good, but they always made bizarre layout choices that were just deal-breakers for me (plastic components; important controls on small knobs and placed on top).

uriah1 and ftbtx like this.

3. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    Sounded like a TS with active bass and treble. Looks cute but not my thing tonewise. I'm waiting for the demos of the rotary pedal.

4. SnowStorm

SnowStorm Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    Different strokes... I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw a photo of the pedal.

5. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    At first I was turned off by the douchebaggery of the marketing campaign, but now I realize you are supposed to buy a box and put four 9 volts in it and then run power cords out to your pedals.

Seriously?

This is like an epic facepalm.

PhredE and Chiogtr4x like this.

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I know someone responded to my complaint that there was no battery compartment by saying " go buy the other 100,000 pedals that take a battery..." - but honestly, unless you make mini-pedals, why not make room for a battery?
    The Dano boxes look like they should be big enough, but I guess they just want folks to buy the ' magic mojo power' dock.
    I know I shouldn't care about this, I have all I need, have no $$- just bugs me..

Leandro Diana and Staypuft1652 like this.

7. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA

Yeah it makes zero sense to me--the pedals are clearly big enough for a battery. So why go to the trouble and silliness of having a "distribution center" with four batteries in it? You've still got the irritation of replacing batteries, but hey great, now you get to have that and less space on your pedalboard at the same time!

There are a bunch of power supplies that can deliver less than 9 volts to cop the magic tone of tired batteries, and you will never have to replace batteries

I guess if you are imagining yourself as a billionare douchebag you also imagine hiring a low wage "battery wrangler" from a refugee camp, and making him do it for you.

Chiogtr4x likes this.

8. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    The 'Billionaire' moniker is just a weird association for anyone to create for a line of guitar pedals.
    The Dano Deli pedals maybe did not make sense either, but they were fun names ( cheap pedals), and weren't exclusionary like ' Billionaire' is...

As for the battery issue, I understand the practicality ( and environmental concerns) of using a pedalboard vs. batteries- it's just nice to have the option for ' grab and go' situations

radiocaster likes this.

9. Tele '57

Tele '57 TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Belgium
    Pride Of Texas sounds good here :

10. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    I think that battery box thing would be great for old battery-only vintage pedals where you need to open the back to change the battery, like original MXR pedals. Would make it easier to change batteries and no lost or stripped back screws.
    Al

11. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Totally awesome for fuzz. Love me a starved voltage on a fuzz....

12. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Yup Dan Electrode power supply. Pain to use with a regular power supply/ multiple pedals...

Staypuft1652 likes this.

13. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    I am getting the Big Spender....they got close with the rocky road...but it was noisy as heck..has anybody found out how to get one online...I found a guy in Seattle that works as middle man and can get one....but would prefer a direct type order.

14. DatGuitarBoi

DatGuitarBoi TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Ontario
    Oh bloody hell F+#∆ me. Who in their right mind (and by their own will) wanted to play on something called a tuna melt?! Grab the file and scrape that crappy name right off of it, and write something else like "stinky lawn gnome" on it with a brown sharpie

Iago likes this.

15. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I always figured the food-named Dano pedals were aimed at struggling musicians who had to choose between gear and eating.

16. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I'm thinking the whole Dano ' Deli' name maybe worked for Dano and many of us, in that they were ( are? Still available on Amazon) decent, cheap effects AND we remember the goofy names:
    I had the T- Bone distortion, Pastrami OD, French Toast ( octave fuzz) and am always reading about folks happy with their Rocky Road, Pepperoni Phaser, and Fish and Chips- the pedals came out probably 25 years ago...

17. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Fish and Chips was the best EQ pedal deal. Never had a need for another.

jddub440 likes this.

18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I like Danelectro's guitars and pedals.
    I miss my dearly-departed sparkly green DC3 Pro, and I still use the big ol' two-pound shield-shaped cream-colored Daddy-O overdrive regularly (15-20 years later)...I've even picked those up (cheap) at pawn shops and the like and given them as gifts--everybody agrees that they're good pedals. Sounds great...as most of their pedal do...even the cafe series were good-sounding (casing was too delicate on those, though...)

I don't understand all the hate for the name of this series...what's the difference between this and "Boss" or something like that?

I would prefer they have a little more "style" cosmetically, but if it sounds good, it is good.

After listening to the demos, I'm intrigued enough to think about adding one of these to the smaller secondary board I'm building right now.

19. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    As ever, I don't care what my pedals look like, or what they're called. I just want them to work, sound good and be reasonably priced. That's why I have two (sometimes three) Dano deli pedals on my board, and a few more in the closet ready to go if necessary. (I even have two of those red Fab Distortion pedals traveling in gig bags in case everything else goes awry. Great sounding distortions.)

As far as these go, I'll reserve judgement until I hear them all. It does seem like pedals this size ought to have battery capability, at least. But I don't neeed batteries in them.

20. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2015
    Tacoma
    I don't think the battery box would be helpful for battery only pedals....because how would you power that pedal from the battery box??....in my mind it's exactly the opposite....the battery box can power those micro pedals that cannot fit a battery into the enclosure! Which is still a super cool idea for those micro dirt pedal that use such a small amount of mA's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.