Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Old Amp Day, The One I Have Always Wanted.

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Bones, Sep 27, 2017.

1. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2008
    ohio
    It makes my back hurt just to look at that Quad Reverb...I remember lifting a Super reverb
    and it seemed to weigh a ton...wonder how much the Quad weighs? :(

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    He was my #1 for many years.
    I saw him a few times when Debbie Davie was stiil with him. Great combo.
    I could never nail his licks...then I saw him and realized how unorthodox his style was. This was pre-internet, so I had to get his instructional tapes to realize he used that tuning.
    BTW...IIRC I saw him walk out onto M St. in DC and swap licks with George Thorogood on the double yallow when George was playing at the club across the street!
    I feel similar to you about Jimi.
    I admire his playing above all others, but in an inspirational way. I don't play any of his songs.
    I just don't feel like I can bring anything to them.

3. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Yeah, Hendrix is another one for me too, I can't even get anything that sounds like music out of a strat, but I'm still inspired by him and can't play any of his songs and I cringe when i hear others try.

Billy Gibbons on the other hand, I love to play his riffs.

asnarski likes this.

4. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I have no idea, I was able to get it in the back of my truck no problem, but I'm a pretty big dude.

5. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Sure that wasn't Jimmy Thackery with George? There was a gig where they walked out into the street, swapped cords and finished whatever song at the other's gigs. Thackery was playing with the Nighthawks at the time.

6. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Dang! Mighta been!
    Whenever I think of long cables, I think Albert...but you may be right!
    That was probably 1980 or some impossibly distant time...
    And, yeah...they swapped.
    Maaannnn...Desperado's and The Cellar Door with Gatton's place downstairs!!!
    Hard to even imagine!!!
    Were you at that gig?
    That would be funny!!

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    What speakers are in there, Bones? I have a couple of the Fender-Cerwin-Vega 16 ohm twelves that were an option in those if you're interested. I got them NOS and haven't used them much.

bparnell57 likes this.

8. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Congrats!!!! That's a match made in heaven! (The AC Tele and the amp, I mean)

9. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    It has the stock Utahs, not sure I'm looking to change them, it sounds great to my ears.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    If it ain't broke...

asnarski likes this.

11. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    [total thread derail]
    I wish!

I was following the Nighthawks a bunch back then, but I was also a real youngun then. know I caught the Nightahwks at the Bayou a buncha times, Gatton too.

I got to play a gig with the Nighthawks a month ago. My band opened for them. They're still rocking away!

** Edited to add, Mark Wenner told me the story a few years ago.

[/total thread derail]

12. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Y'see...the Bayou...my little brain is getting addled....
    Nice to open for the Nighthawks.
    I don't know who their guitar player is now.
    I did a little trio gig (no drums!) with Pete Kanaras awhile ago.
    Tasty player.

Axis29 likes this.

13. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I've only dealt with Pete online... And his cousin George as well. But, both are great guys.

Paul Bell is the current guitar player. He's playing some custom amp built on a 5f6-a Bassman. He and I talk Teles and Bassman the couple of times I;ve gotten a chance to shoot the bull with him.

I know I caught the Nighthawks when Pete was playing. Who am I kidding, I caught them in every iteration... LOL

14. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States

15. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Holic

Apr 25, 2011
    Turdcaster, WA
    Bones...very nice! Loved Mr. Collins, got to see him at least half dozen times in a tiny 125 capacity bar back in the 70/80's...pulling up in his tour bus. He'd walk out in to the street and hit on unsuspecting college girls while wailing away...certainly knew it was Albert from 2 blocks away. Chatted a few times and bought him a couple of drinks over the years. A really humble gentleman. He would snap 1 note and pierce your soul with his quadraverb...and take us for a ride...nobody like him.

16. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I like Utah 12 speakers-rock on that thing is a killer amp! It has a coolness factor, and I'm sure tone, that little amps just can not match

17. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA

It was the Nighthawks and Thorogood. Happened in 1979, just after I moved to DC. I recall hearing it broadcast on the radio. Coincidentally, I saw the Nighthawks last Sunday at the Takoma Park (MD) Street Festival. A 45 minute set in which they closed with Muddy's I'm a Man and Got My Mojo Working. I believe that Mark is only original member remaining in the band.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Axis29 likes this.

18. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    '79 was the year I went to college in Harrisonburg, VA; so that makes sense.
    Being a NY boy, I was used to a little more excitement, so I was in DC most weekends.
    Picked up some spending money by hauling other students (mostly boys) home for the weekend so mommy could do their laundry ;)

19. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Yes, Mark's the only original member still in the band. But, the current line up is keeping things rolling along.

20. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Honey Hush! You going to be doing some nice Ice Pickin' on that one! Tune that tele to Fm, stick your capo on the (at least) fifth fret and get Frosty bro! Seriously, a 50 to 100 foot guitar cord will roll some of the high frequencies off when the Quad is dimed.

Great score (like your new Blues Jr deal!) and a unique amp. I had the opportunity to get one 30 years ago, but it was just to much amp for my needs and way too heavy for my bad back.

I loved that Showdown album with Albert, Johnny Copeland (another unsung hero of mine) and Robert Cray. The way Robert paid homage to those two is a lesson in true humility. You can tell there was a lot of love there. An old acquaintance of mine recently passed away. He was a fine bluesman in addition to a fine guitar maker. Anyway, he spent a few years traveling with Albert and said he was the most nicest, most genuine man you would ever hope to know.

Anyway, congrats. Feels good when you finally find a grail!

Bones likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.