Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New (OLD) 1966(?) Alamo Futura Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by JustJJ, Aug 28, 2017.

1. JustJJ

JustJJ TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Hey guys, I'm new here but just wanted to share my news of getting an old Alamo amp the other day from Guitar Center (who knew!). Until yesterday I never heard of these amps but I loved the sound and everything about it, so I had to have it. I was told it was a 1966, but I can't say for sure. If it is, it looks to be in amazing shape. 20170828_175415.jpg
    20170828_182929.jpg 20170828_175415.jpg
    20170828_182946.jpg

Here's a video of my demo I made as soon as I got it home

2. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Awesome but at the same time scary as all get out! I'm thinking that some insulated gloves and shoes are in order!

Brian Wright likes this.

3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Old -fashioned "point-to-point" wiring...deluxe.

emisilly likes this.

4. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Wow nice score! I really dig those tones. Also those electrolytics look to be original and need to be changed ASAP.

emisilly likes this.

5. JustJJ

JustJJ TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Wisconsin

Are those the capacitors? My knowledge is pretty limited here.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Holy crap! Sweet!

But is that an amp footswitch you hit for dirt, or a pedal? And what are its onboard effects? Reverb tank? Trem?

7. JustJJ

JustJJ TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Wisconsin
    One channel is normal, the other is reverb and tremolo. Obviously you can bridge the two together as well. The reverb is crazy on this thing, pretty trippy sounding when it's cranked.

I'm the video I was just using a Boss Blues Driver, nothing special. So it has much potential to sound even better!

One thing I've noticed though is that the chrome faceplate gets super hot after about an hour or so.

8. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    Definitely looks like original 1966 Dust! :)

9. corliss1

corliss1 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Should get it serviced. Caps need to be replaced and it needs a grounded power cord if it doesn't have one already. Safety first :D

10. JustJJ

JustJJ TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Wisconsin

Are capacitors a safety issue? I know they can give hums and noise issues. I plan on replacing that power cord sooner than later. I should just be able to ground it right to the chassis, right?

11. corliss1

corliss1 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Depends how you look at it. If the capacitors die or fail in a way causing a short it can take out the power transformer. All old caps (20ish years, but especially the older ones) need to be replaces as part of a general service.

Yes, it should be grounded to the chassis, but you'll likely need to remove the death cap or rewire the fuse/power transformer connections, or both. This isn't something you should attempt unless you know the dangers of amps and working with high voltage.

JustJJ likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.