Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New "Nocturne pedal"

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sunkidd, Sep 13, 2009.

1. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    San Diego
    Tavo Vega of "the Wired Turtle" built this beautiful "El Cabronita" Tele... it sounds awesome, sooo I buy it from him!
    [​IMG]
    Now, lately he has designed and manufactured a pre-amp pedal that really fills out the sound of an amp and at its sweet spot remarkably articulates the strings of electric guitars...
    he designed it for Filtertrons into a Blonde Bassman, to get the sound of Brian Setzer thru his Roland 301 Space Echo into a Blonde Bassman...
    BUT, it seriously works great with a Tele or Strat into a VOX or Fender Reverb amp also... I'm diggin' it and leave it on all the time....
    here is a link to a "Guitar World" magazine interview with him:
    http://5th-fret.blogspot.com/2009/09/brain-seltzer-nocturne.html

also an update:
    http://5th-fret.blogspot.com/2009/09/tavo-vega-nocturne-update.html

2. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ

3. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    San Diego

4. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Tele-Holic

Jun 23, 2008
    Monroe

5. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Looks like he used the body of a Road Worn series Telecaster. Nice job.

6. TheWiredTurtle

TheWiredTurtle TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2009
    So. Cal
    Thanks! :) I love "relic'n" relics. :) Actually its painful to scuff up all the shiny
    fun..but I really like these nitro finished roadworn alder bodies. Perfect tone for installing tvjones. I just finished another one yesterday w/ the new tvjones
    p90 in the neck and a classic plus in the bridge.
    [​IMG]

7. TheWiredTurtle

Mar 22, 2009
    So. Cal
    Got some new Xmas colors my painter guy created for me..
    [​IMG]

8. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I'm a bit curious about this pedal. I wonder how it differs from say, an RC Booster. I assume they're somewhat similar.

9. TheWiredTurtle

Mar 22, 2009
    So. Cal
    I guess one could articulate all day about the differences and commonalities
    between boosters n' preamps... But mine is a preamp. It is based loosely on
    how the input gain circuit and recovery circuit works in an RE-301 space echo.
    For the sake of getting that cool catalyst an RE-301 brings to a filtertroned
    guitar into a non master volume fender amp.
    The irony is that its now being used in a variety of guitars and amps I never really considered as I was after that twangy clip of Brian Setzer in his
    dirty Boogie album.
    Here's a newer vid demo of my tele into a blackface 65' non reverb
    Princeton. Not the whole "setzer" thing but the picking dynamics are remarkable with the Nocturne engaged.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rizHj4wCUE

10. ac15

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Thanks for posting. What the heck, I'm interested in checking it out. I just went to Paypal and ordered one of your "Christmas-themed" ones.

What an unexpected turn this must be for you, since you weren't even thinking of selling these. Next thing you know, you'll end up like Paul Cochrane, the guy who makes the "Tim" and "Timmy" pedal. I think he started with the intention of making something for himself as well.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009

11. TheWiredTurtle

Mar 22, 2009
    So. Cal
    ya its still overwhelming but I am just grateful on all accounts. as an out of work musician it beats the heck out of working at Starbucks!

btw..
    Just finished yours at midnight!! gonna hit the hay and give it a burn in come morning, then ship it out pronto as my wife printed the ship label already!
    I was gonna give it a full testing but crankin up a 63 blonde after midnight
    is not the popular thing to do in my neighborhood. :D

12. Parma_TeleMon

Parma_TeleMon Friend of Leo's

Feb 5, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Yeah, I have the same issue with my '71 redhead!! :lol:

13. TheWiredTurtle

Mar 22, 2009
    So. Cal

14. ac15

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Looking forward to it, Tavo. It was kind of overkill for me to buy the holiday themed one, but I love the looks of those. I don't have a blonde bassman, but I'm playing a White Falcon double cutaway through a Gretsch Executive. For what it's worth, I didn't buy it because I expect to get Setzer sound, particularly since I don't have the blonde Bassman. I just expect that it will be a unique, cool preamp that'll have its own sound with my gear/playing.

15. TheWiredTurtle

Mar 22, 2009
    So. Cal

the savy rock n roll illustrator and rocker, Vince Ray shares your rig of choice:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. ac15

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Thanks Tavo. Just got the pedal, and the candy cane is a classy touch. Sounds great, looks great, just a really well-put together package all around (even the instruction manual). Very cool, and I'm happy to do business with you. Looking forward to getting to use the pedal more.

17. TheWiredTurtle

Mar 22, 2009
    So. Cal
    Good! I was wonderin if it made it to you safely. Post a pict with your rig man!
    :D

18. TheWiredTurtle

Mar 22, 2009
    So. Cal

19. TheWiredTurtle

Mar 22, 2009
    So. Cal

20. TheWiredTurtle

Mar 22, 2009
    So. Cal
    :twisted::D:D
    Anybody seen Red with this on stage, a friend sent this picture from south Oz.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.