Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Mustang III V2.......

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by iowacarver, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Gatordad

Gatordad TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2003
    1,000 miles from nowhere
    Outstanding tone, Shane!

Do you mind sharing what setting(s) you used with your 335?

Thanks!

2. intheblues

intheblues TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Download my 68 Deluxe Patch from here.

I just turned down the bass down to about 3.5 and just adjusted the EQ accordingly to the room and guitar.

Shane :)

3. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

May 18, 2010
    Sweet Carolina
    HELP! I just got a new Mustang III V2 and I can hear hiss background sound on almost every preset, even on the Twin Reverb. The hiss is very loud on the 65 Princeton setting. This can't be normal?

4. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon

The hiss doesn't sound normal. Have you done a firmware upgrade? I'd swap it out for a new one if new firmware doesn't fix it.

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Is the gain cranked all the way up or something similar to that effect?
    As said above, definitely not normal. My Mustang III, version 1 is the quietest amp I've ever owned, going back a few decades.

I'd suggest taking it back to where you bought it and getting another one. If that's not possible for some reason.......try a factory reset. The manual in your Fuse software will explain how. Very easy and takes 5 seconds. I'm not sure that will help in this case but Good luck!

6. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Hi Shane,

I really appreciate your vids! I can't play out live anymore and your vids help me know how good these amps can sound on a gig !

I hope you don't mind re-posting your vids to play for non-believing tube purists and rude, disgruntled roland owners. :)

7. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Actually, at least for me, the one thing that truly seperates the mustang from bad modeling is not something you can hear in a video. that would be touch responsiveness, dynamics. The FEEL. I've found some modelers in the past that sounded really good, but they felt utterly stiff and unresponsive and impossible to play. In a clip tho you'd never know it. The mustang was the first modeler i played that had 100% of the dynamics and response of a great tube amp. It still blows me away to think i no longer use tube amps and the mustang has become my entire rig aside from a guitar and cable !

8. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    This FEEL you speak of, is something I too am very aware of - but seldom talk about, because to those that don't sense this dimension... I would only appear to be a nutter talking gibberish.

But for me it's black and white. Using a garden hose as an analogy, Overdrive for example (I don't care if it's coming from a tube amp, SS amp, digital or analogue pedal), either feels like a high pressure jet stream OR water just dribbling straight off the nozzle, splattering down and wetting my feet. I dislike using any overdrive if I can't feel a 'push' behind it. Where's the push coming from? Heck I don't know... somewhere between pressing the string into the fretboard and the backside of the speaker. All I know, is that I notice immediately if it's not there.

I loved my early 'orange' Roland CUBE60 used it for years, beautiful clean tones… overdrive, no push. Line6 Spider, very nice clean tones… overdrive, overly gritty with no push. I used transtube Peaveys for years and years because their super-sat has tons of push, but is very one-dimensional and lacks dynamics… cleans, have a dullness to it I can't explain. I've tried some early Fender SS amps… overdrive, splatters like spilt milk. Ok, I better stop talking in pictures, and this is all subjective of course anyway.

The amp I'm in love with right now (which shall remain nameless ;)) has 'push and dynamics' in SPADES. I bought one initially out of curiosity because of the stellar reviews I've read about it, and I kept it because it didn't disappoint. The fact that it happens to be a Fender, and heaven-forbid - a modeller - has nothing to do with how pleased I am, every time I switch it on to play.

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    great posts, guys. :!:

I agree about the Mustang's ability to get the dynamic feel that you can only achieve from classic tube amps. Shane continues to give us some great demos.

That is a HUGE quality that separates them from the other SS and modeling amps on the market. It might take a little finesse to get it just right, but it's there.

10. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    Just this morning, I picked up my Esquire and went for the most '60s trebly bite your eardrum in half sound, trying to get that a-go-go penta-tonic vibe, like bad schlock-film soundtrack (oh no, somebody's slashed Betty and Tommy's throat during my far out beach party! And who took all the Orange Sunshine, man?)...and it worked great. Got to get into the Cabinet model, SAG, BIAS, all that second level adjustments to get it on, man. To get that a-go-go happenin' sound right, you have to feel it cutting into you, or it's just going to fall flat. But, really, who took all my Orange Sunshine, man?

11. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    Take a break...To get it on in big smiley way, hit the link!

12. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    Question, did you guys just delete the factory presets?

13. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon

I tweaked some and replaced several with Shane's presets.

The presets stored just before and after 00 are the ones I use a lot and 00 is the one I use the most.

I periodically make backups of all presets so I can restore later if desired.

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

14. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    I only use the first four channels - so I erased what used to be there and saved my own presets over them = 00 (Clean Bright - my default), 01 (Clean with some grit), 02 (Full Dirt), and 03 (High Overdrive)

I just left the rest of the factory presets alone where they are. I just don't go there.

15. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA

I didnt delete them I just replaced a few. I made clean crunch and lead patches and have them set to pull up with a button on my 4 button switch.

16. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I literally only use the 00 preset now, which is set up as a 65 deluxe reverb, volume 9 gain 6. greenbox for stomp, vintage trem for mod, tape delay for delay, 65 spring for reverb (which is always on).

17. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    ^ Yep, that Greenbox stomp is a beaut! I use it for my 01 and 02...

18. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    After a day of trying to chase down updates for my stupid Mac I was finally able to connect my III to my computer. First thing I did was download Shane's presets, as well as F4L's ZZ preset. This amp is just crazy good. The custom presets are hat make this amp shine for sure, my favorite one right now is surprisingly Shane's Johnny Lang preset but not by much they are all really really good. The warmth, articulation, note bloom, dynamics, hard to believe there aren't tubes in this guy. Going to update the firmware tomorrow, though not sure what it changes/improves. Tomorrow I plan on digging into Ableton, running it as an interface and recording something during the day and taking it out for it's paces at a jam tomorrow night. Exciting stuff.

19. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA
    Did you buy the amp new or used? Mine is pretty quiet. I think I may have had some noise when I first got mine. I did a factory reset and it was all good without any problems since. I think mine did a firmware update when I first hooked up to Fender Fuse also... Hiss isnt normal unless the gain is cranked like someone else mentioned

20. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Shhhhhhhh, someone might hear you… :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.