Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Mustang III V2.......

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by iowacarver, Sep 9, 2013.

1. arrowspace90

arrowspace90 TDPRI Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Dallas
    I ordered a III VII yesterday.

I have the VI, and I like it so much, I am suddenly worried that I won't like VII as well. You never know. My VI kicks.
    My friend says I should A/B them. I will be afraid to! VII arrives next week. Trepidation.
    I am planning to give away VI.

2. sgtrecon212

sgtrecon212 TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Indiana
    I got my new Mustang III v2 yesterday. Played a bit and dang am I impressed.
    It does things I have never heard of. I'll get used to the dials and buttons...Or my being 55 and a grandpa, maybe I'll have the kids come over and dial it in... Just like us old guys do for the TV remote...lol

All kidding aside, this is a great amp, especially since I got it during the GC Labor day sale. Thanks for all the advice and reviews and such.

3. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder

4. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Congrats! I'm 56 for a couple more weeks, and I enjoy the heck out of this amp too! One good thing about us being our age is that we've played through enough other amps over the decades to appreciate how good these Mustangs are.

Some of the younger players here haven't quite got the know how to figure these things out :lol:

It all comes down to........well sonny, do you want the box of 6 crayons or the deluxe box of 64 that even comes with a crayon sharpener that's half the price?

"Uh....well gee Tennessee....uh....the box with 64? " :idea:

5. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    Congratulations on the new Mustangs!

One of my favorite guitar players is Johnny Hickman (Cracker). I saw an interview he gave where he said his gigging amp is a Fender Super Sonic. I'm no spring chicken but I immediately went to the Fuse site to download and install Shane's (intheblues) Super Sonic preset.

Very cool amp.

Here is a link to one of Johnny Hickman's nice songs:

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

6. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Continuing with that analogy… if the young-uns care to look carefully, the deluxe box has those rare metallic Gold and Silver crayons hidden in there somewhere!!

I don't even care about the other colours in the box - which can remain unused AFAIC, lol! :D

7. Telepathist

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    Covering Johnny Hickman's song to test out Shane's Super Sonic preset on my Mustang III v1. Master volume on the amp is about 2 and the volume on the Strat about 6.

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

8. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Same here TW;

a few of those crayons will rarely leave the box, some will get heavy use on strange days and won't see daylight again for a month or two.
    And then; there's the select few gems that will turn into tasty little nubs in less than a week.

These nubs are the presets that we can't seem to stay away from during a 24 hour period.
    A seasoned Mustang owner knows that NO two guitarists will have the same set of nubs.

In time we will uncover more gems we didn't know were there.
    We think " how are these things possible for what little we paid?" :?:

Then there's more good news being that these favorite nubs don't need replacing and WE, the artists get to choose them from a large color pallet that other amps........dare I say.......in the Mustang's 'so called' same class ....sadly.......just don't have.

9. RCC Passderkins

RCC Passderkins Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2012
    The Old Dominion
    Congrats on a great amp. I got the red MIII v2 about 5 months ago, and I love it. Coupled with the Fuse software you can get just about any sound you need out of the amp.

10. LandoCommando

LandoCommando TDPRI Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Dear Forum Members,

I am writing to get your opinions on a possible trade I'm looking to make. I currently own a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II amp. I am in the market for Fender Mustange III or IV V.2 amp. Looking online, the HR Deluxe II sells used for anywhere from $400 to $550. The Mustang III sells used for $250 to $300 and the Mustang IV sells for $350 - $400.

I found a (local) seller online who is looking to sell/trade their Mustang III V.2 amp. I contacted him and offered my Fender HR Deluxe II for His Mustang III V.2 + $100 cash. Would you say that this is a fair trade?

I have never played the Mustang III or IV V.2s but have read VERY good reviews on them. I am heading to Guitar Center TODAY to play a III to see what all it can do. I will only be using the amp for home playing and maybe the occasional trip to friends houses to play in their garage or basements. I know the mustang is capable of several good tones and, since I play lots of different styles of music, this amp (along with the FUSE software) will allow me to play these many styles without the need for multiple amps/effects pedals.

Sorry to go on for so long but I just wanted to get your take on if you think this is a fair trade.

Thank You,

Lando

11. Telepathist

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon

I think I'd ask for $50.00 more cash. Take the low end of what your amp and the Mustang III are worth used: $400.00 and $250.00, respectively. The difference = $150.00.

It sounds like you're on the right track getting a Mustang for what you want to play. You might think about selling your HRD and then picking up a used Mustang III.

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

12. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

Apr 6, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Yeah....I'd like to know how your steel sounds thru it.

13. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    Good enough for me to actually buy one.:lol:

It sounds really good through the Mustang III. I will try to get a decent recording today, but have not had much success through the computer I take into that room. I'll try it through Audacity and see if that works.

14. tele salivas

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    For reference's sake, here is Lynn Fargo playing her Sho-Bud through the Mustang II...

15. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone

Sounds mighty fine to me!!! Still waiting on the sale of some gear to fund my VII

16. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    I really - really - really - enjoyed listening to every single wonderful note!

I can't get over how perfection, was being made to look so easy… wow.

Thanks for sharing that TS!

17. tele salivas

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    you will not regret it.

18. tele salivas

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    :D

No prob. She sure makes it look easy. My facial expression is more like a constipated duck when playing the steel.

19. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Thanks for the vid, Tele !

Its nice to hear a real pedal steel going through these great little amps.
    I use a lap steel through the Mustang III, and as I've said before, when
    you dial in a 50's Fender model and run a steel through it, it nails that classic country jazz tone like your spinning a Hank SR. 78 on a 1949 Zenith Mayfair

...or something like that....:rolleyes::)

I'm wrong...never said that before.

Regarding the constipated duck face; that's a gift. You can't fake that.

20. intheblues

intheblues TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    I had a fun night with the Mustang III recently with my ES335 :D
    I Believe this is some of my best 335 tone since I started using these guitars. Let me know what you think :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.