Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Mustang III V2.......

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by iowacarver, Sep 9, 2013.

1. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

May 15, 2012
    IOWA
    Recieved my Mustang III V2 today. Wow... I didn't expect it to be that big but I guess it does have a 12" in there. This is a lot of amp and power.

I currently have two Super Champ X2 amps.. one combo unit and a head unit and 1 x 12 cab with a C-Rex in it. I still love my SC X2 units.. I don't think you can beat that sound but I am pretty impressed with the Mustang III as well.

For one, I wish the SC had the ability to edit on the fly like that. Much much easier to mix and play with the presets on the Mustang. So far my favorite models on the MIII are the Twin Deluxe, Bassman, Deluxe Reverb and the Brit 60's. And those are pretty much my favorites on the SC X2 as well. There are some cool presets as well but will have fun making some of my own.

I have also read where there is too much power here and it's not controllable and can't get bedroom level use from it. My volume know works beautifullly and can crank it and dial down a quiet nightime level easily.

Looking forward to playing with it for a while!

Corey

2. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Congrats on getting a great amp.

I've had my M III V1 for a few months now and it continues to impress me. I've still only scratched the surface of its potential because the few presets I've made using the Fender models, plus the ones Matty's made for us keeps me happy.

For additional challenges,
    I find a guitar tone I like on YOUTUBE, try to find out what amp the guitar player is using and then try and match the tone. It's getting easier and more accurate all the time.

Anyway, have fun and thanks for sharing/

3. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Blount-Vegas, TN
    Love my MIII V1. You'll keep finding stuff in there to enjoy.

4. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

May 15, 2012
    IOWA
    Thanks guys, having fun with it!

Corery

5. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
    Congratulations Cory on your new amp ! You have the best combo amp on the market today in my opinion. Take your time and don't get frustrated... that amp can do just about anything including making breakfast :)

Don't forget the noise gate feature, its very effective. Don't forget the bias and sag settings.. I'll post a picture below of the settings that I use. Also, I just posted pictures of the compressor settings that I use on 5 different amp models in someone else's post in this forum that was asking for suggested compressor settings. Also, get use to using your tap tempo feature when setting the speed for your tremolo or delay effect. Its very important in my opinion to get the correct speed for the tremolo or slap back for each song as the tempo is different for each song. These settings generally range from an eighth note to a sixteenth note setting. When setting the tremolo, you have to go under the Mod button.. and then you have to select the 'rate' parameter as the one for adjusting the speed. Don't forget to turn off your reverb.. delay ...and stomp effect when setting this parameter with the tap tempo button. Once you establish the correct speed, you can then turn on the other effects if you are using them and push the Save button.

ForumRunner_20130912_092414.jpg

ForumRunner_20130912_092426.jpg

When setting the tap tempo for the delay effect, it's the 'time' parameter that will be adjusted... again, don't forget to turn off the reverb.. mod.. and stomp effect when adjusting this parameter as well. Good luck and send me a PM if you need any further assistance.

Attached Files:

6. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

May 15, 2012
    IOWA
    Thanks Matty, having fun playing around with it. I visited those other thread and made a word chart up to track that stuff. Something i dont know much about is amp SAG and what exactly it is and does?That is something I have read and seen but don't know anything about it.

I like a lot of the clean presets from the amp, many are similar to what I have done on the Super Champ X2. Its the effects and boxes I need most help with. The Mustang is great cause you dont have to use Fuse to edit.Thanks for posting what you have done. I will post mine when I am done messing with them. Mine are more mid range and treble vs bassy. I like as you 50_60s classic rock, rockabilly and country.
    Corey

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

7. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    About a year and half ago I bought a M III but just couldn't get any sounds I really loved. This was before the X2 came out. I had XD at the time and thought the MIII would be an extention of that. I was wrong. As soon as the X2s came out I grabbed one using the MIII in trade. Couldn't be happier
    As far as editing on the fly, I haven't once touched the Fuse program. I'm pretty happy with the sounds already installed.
    Have fun with your V2.

8. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

May 15, 2012
    IOWA
    Randy, I am a X2 lover and I think it's a great amp. I have both the Combo and the head unit. The 1 x 12 Cab has a Cannabis Rex from Emminence in it. Great sounds in it but I found it necessary to use the fuse and adjust that Mid level at least. Wish they had put a mid knob on it. It makes a big difference in my opinion. The head unit just didn't sound right until I swapped the PreAmp tube as in the Combo. The head unit had a different tube in it. Perfect now.

I am finding the MIII a very versatile amp and very powerful. Love the ability to edit it without the Fuse. I am having fun with all the presets and starting to do some of my own. I love my X2's and won't be getting rid of them but I am digging my Mustang at this point too.

Here is a photo of my amp set up... yeah, got way more than I need but what the hell.... :)

Corey

Attached Files:

• 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      39.3 KB
      Views:

9. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Sag is like touch responsiveness. A twin with a diode rectifier will be stiff, instantaneous response, a deluxe with a tube rectifier will have more 'give' or be 'looser' and compressed

10. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

May 15, 2012
    IOWA
    Thanks for that and the help!

Corey

11. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado

Nice family you got there Corey ! :)

12. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2013
    Ohio
    My first-generation Mustang III is amazing. The more I play it, the more I like it.

That is all.

13. TeleShredder

TeleShredder Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2012
    canada

14. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    Nice set up. Looks like you're good until the next century.

15. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    The III V.2 is going to be my next amp. I was not very impressed with the Mustang's offerings when I first encountered them, but then I'd see MusicMatty's posts and realize that there was obviously a big human factor to play in all this. I got a chance to play a well set up one a couple weekends ago and was more than impressed. If someone wants to go comparing side by side with the "real thing" , well they have a lot more of an anal bent than I care to twist myself into. I'm excited about letting myself be freed into sonic technological exploration and freed from buying tubes and tensing anytime someone drunker than me stumbles by my amp.

16. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland

Keep us posted when you make this purchase .. I for one will be very curious for your input. the 3 model was built to be a serious contender for a gigging amp. All I can tell you is, your are in for a blast as the fun factor with these amps is off the charts. All the different amp model voicings with all the numerous effects is just mind blowing. Don't forget the tap tempo feature... its so cool to have a precise setting when adjusting the tremolo or delay effect.

ForumRunner_20131028_221307.jpg

17. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Exactly. The more time you can invest in it, the bigger the payoff.... and it's well worth it.

18. tele salivas

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    My only thing is I need healthy volume that can stay cleanish a little ways up the dial. Is the Mustang III, say loud as a Blues Deluxe RI?

19. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado

The cleans are there when you turn it up. That's one thing that impressed me is that the tone stays consistent from low volume to loud. I'm not a big distortion player so an amp that starts getting speaker distortion is annoying.

Whether or not a Mustang III gets as loud as a Deluxe RI, I don't know. I worked with a guy that had Fender Blues Deluxe a few years back but he didn't really crank it up that I know of, playing in typical clubs that seat up to 200. The Mustang III would easily handle the volume level he was playing at.

Edit: Ok, so I just put my M III on a '65 Twin preset and then a clean Vox amp preset. I use these clean settings often and just turned the Mustang up much louder than I normally play here at home.

Other things in the room started to rattle but the amp held together fine, emphasis playing on the low E and A strings. I'm going out a limb, but I think the M III, using the Twin amp model or the Vox will give you more clean headroom than a Blues Deluxe RI.

20. tele salivas

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    That sounds good. I don't like speaker distortion either. :mad:
    Next time I go to the shop, I'm going to bring the steel, crank that sumbich up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.