Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Model Classic Vibe - Humbucker Bridge

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by SynMike, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2012
    Vancouver
    I went far out of my way to build a CVC with a humbucker in the neck (or bridge, as it's called here) and now you can just buy them off the rack! If I hadn't acquired a mild Teisco fetish, I'd be down at L and M tomorrow.

2. riolux

riolux Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden

3. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 19, 2011
    wallingford,ct.
    love it- here comes another GAS attack!!

4. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    Might be selling mine...

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I might sell my FSR Gold Bronze as a guitar I've been looking for has become available and I need the funds to buy it. A friend of mine, who is out of town for a month or so, has first right of refusal on it. However, if he passes on it, I'm trying to gauge interest here.

Would anyone be interested in it if my friend passes on it? You can PM me if you like.

5. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    I've been doing a lot of snooping around on the web and I'm having a rather hard time finding any specifics about the pups on these beauties. Any info would be appreciated.

6. JustEd

JustEd Tele-Meister

May 25, 2014
    Apopka
    I like the double bound look and just when I thought my GAS had abated. :(

7. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    It never ends, does it?!
    So many guitars, so little time....

8. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    How's everyone enjoying theirs now that the Honeymoon period is over? Any mods to report?:rolleyes:

9. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

For those in Canada considering one of these, Long & McQuade has a ton of them. I was just in there checking out the one that my local store has on the floor and have pretty much decided that I am getting it, I am just waiting to finish Christmas shopping to see how much that is going to cost me. I was a bit concerned they might be gone if I were to wait but a friend of mine who works there checked the computer and it seems that not only did every store get two of them, they also have twenty of them sitting in each of their warehouses (they have three warehouses across the country).

10. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    Is L & M your Musicians Friend or is it not as big?

11. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

More like a cross between MF and GC because it has brick and mortar stores but also sells online, but it is not as big as those two (despite being a larger country Canada has a much smaller population than the US...I think California alone has a larger population than Canada).

It started back in the '50s and is now Canada's largest gear retailer with 60-70 locations across the country.

Yorkville Sound (P.A. gear and a bunch of other stuff) is the parent company and also owns Traynor Amps (Traynors were first made in the original L&M location in Toronto because Pete Traynor worked for them).

So L&M started then Traynor and Yorkville Sound with all of them being brought under the overall Yorkville Sound banner. They are still owned by the same family and the founder was recently awarded the Order of Canada.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/

12. 1996Standard

1996Standard TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Wow. I came over to this forum because I was thinking about one of the Classic Vibe Custom's after playing one at the store on Friday and now I see this. Might have to wait and see if they bring these to the U.S. I've always wanted a Tele with a neck humbucker.

13. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

All cv tele's have a neck rout for a humbucker pickup!

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I've had a friends for several days now and after a proper setup (action was quite high out of the box) I can honestly say that Fender has another winner on their hands here. I'm just wondering if any will end up in the hands of their US dealers.

Much like it's CVC cousins it's attractive and very well finished. This one is half an ounce over 8 lbs so it's just about a half pound heavier than my CVC. I was also pleased to find that the neck profile feels just a bit deeper than previous models. It's not a major difference yet enough to eliminate some of the feeling that the necks are "too thin". It's actually quite comfortable. Even more so than my '95 MIM.

The Alnico V bridge pickup is decent but I have a feeling the neck humbucker could be improved upon a bit. I'm not a huge fan of stock Fender pickups period (save their CS models) and IMHO humbuckers are not their specialty. It's not a bad sounding pickup but it's also not one that makes you smile and nod your head either.

That said once the pickup heights are properly adjusted the two pickups do blend quite nicely. I found both to be set a bit high for my taste but I intend to play around with the settings a bit more just to see what more I can wring out of them. The neck pickup is a bit dark so installing a treble bleed mod so even more highs aren't lost when the pickup volume is reduced would be a must for me. I seldom run my volume wide open 100% of the time.

The bottom line is that this model is a very nice addition to the Classic Vibe family. There's enough tonal difference between this and the typical twin single coil CVs to make it a very useful addition to a Tele herd. The humbucker alone actually works pretty well with some crunch or dirt added to it and played clean in combination with the bridge you get a very full sweet tone for soloing.

IMHO it's well worth the asking price.

15. T is for Tele

T is for Tele Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2012
    Gorgeous! I really wish these were available in the States.

16. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Yep but for now you can get one from Long & McQuade in Canada IF they still have stock. It'll run a few bucks more since they don't discount quite like our retailers do and then there's the tax as well so a little more than $400 gets it done. After seeing and playing one I'd say it's worth it.

17. doof

doof Tele-Holic

they have (at least) one at my local long & mquade, and according to the site there's stock at every location in Alberta. Unfortunately here in canada they're $419.99. good news is that tax is only 5%, so tax would be closer to $21 instead of $45 :) with the exchange rate right now that's about $386 USD. no idea what customs would charge you for taking it back across the border though.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014

18. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I think my friend paid right around $420-$425 US for his shipped so I think you're right on the money doof. We may have to pay the US tax rate as opposed to the Canadian rate. Our politicians are greedier than yours. LOL

19. TimU

TimU TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Michigan
    I love the color. Another beautiful CVC!

20. jordans0nly

jordans0nly TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Laurens, SC
    Man I'd love this one..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.