Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Model Classic Vibe - Humbucker Bridge

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by SynMike, Sep 20, 2014.

1. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    That's odd. The Nevada Music (UK) site says Alder as does Promenade Music.:confused:

2. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    I absolutely love it- how can you NOT grab Squires. Fun, classy, sound good and can get 2 guitars for price of one MIM (almost).

I wonder if a chrome cover would fit over neck bucker pickup? - You know- Bling out the binding and color :)

I would call it "Tarnished Pewter" or "Revere Silver"...

In Boston, of course, "Reveah Silvah"
    Think the hookers scene in Ted...

3. riolux

riolux Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It comes off as a bit purple in the pictures but it's really close to gray. The wife called the color Champagne.

[​IMG]

It's in the same family as shoreline gold (8th from left), but with a bit less brown in it.

The switch is three-way. Volume-wise, thie pickups are equal, but like I said the HB is way down towards the pickguard and the bridge is close to the strings. I haven't had time to fiddle with sweet spots yet.

I'm going to change to heavier strings and at the same time maybe put a nickel cap on the HB and switch the pickguard.

4. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    If they came exactly as is with vintage frets instead of med-jumbo, I would own at least two.
    Speaking specifically @ the CV line.

5. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    Great looking guitar there.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Still wondering if we'll see these released to the US dealers. Hard to believe Fender would ignore that market with one that looks like it will become quite popular.

7. 68Telebass

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    Frets….

Got me there- Absolutely right- You could have fun throwing a new neck on- still be a bargain, and get the guitar you want to play…With this look and pickup combo, that would be a great Frankencaster...

8. 68Telebass

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    Silvery Shoreline Gold

Yes! Cant wait to see the new guard and the nickel plated HB!- I think the HB will like the heavy strings- They probably balanced the signal from the two pickups when mounting them- a hotter neck PU would allow you to raise that HB up a bit closer to strings, and give you same balance...

Great Color Lineup image- very cool- Def. Shoreline Gold- my eye went to it right away before reading your explanation...Tarnished Pewter gets my Vote, although Champagne is nice- it seems too common for this hue…

Carl

9. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    I know, right?! I couldn't stand the GAS any longer, so I ordered one from
    Long & McQuade in North Vancouver. The guy I spoke with said that their store is a pretty large one (and the entire chain is 65 stores) but that they only got 2 of these. I bought the one "in the back" and he said the 3 guitar salesmen there and the sales manager are fighting over who gets to take home the display model.

Anyway, the shipping was free, but I had to pay $45 (US) in Canadian taxes....ouch!

I'll update when I receive it. I'd love to swap out for a maple neck...;)

10. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i like the color. im a fan of a humbucker neck pickup too. to bad its a limited run. maybe they will come out with some more colors.. and its just limited in that color? id like a sparkle blue job. heh.
    any of these blues in a sparkle will work for me fender. :p
    chris.

Attached Files:

11. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    No sooner said than done if you can find one you like. Me, I'm a fan of the necks on the Nashville Deluxe which are very similar to the custom neck on my Nocaster. They're a soft "V" from the nut to around the 6th or 7th fret than become "C" shaped from there on up.

Including the Nocaster I have that neck on three of my Teles and if I can get hold of one of these new ones eventually I'd probably put a neck from a Nashville on it too. They do make one with a rosewood board but they aren't easy to find.

Here's the CVC with that maple Nashville neck.

Attached Files:

12. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    Not to hijack the thread, but how difficult is it to put a new neck on a Tele? Guess it's just a matter of getting the truss rod adjusted correctly?

13. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

If the fit was as good as this one was about 15-20 minutes to take the old one off, put the new one on, restring and adjust the truss rod. Any Fender neck should work on any Classic Vibe as a drop in replacement but the key word there is "should". It's not impossible to imagine a few might need to be shimmed a little to get the action where a guy wants it. This one didn't.

14. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    United States
    Yeah, could do that but I'd rather not go the parts caster route. I'd be looking at a pre '06 MIM for vintage frets.

15. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Oct 2, 2013
    Reno
    I'll say then that since it bears little resemblance to either bronze or gold, not quite Shoreline Gold either, that possibly it's Pewter (I suggested that this may be the case earlier), which is a real Fender color, and just called something else for the European and Canadian market may be the case? Not really represented in your chart but this is a color that has been available on strats but not so much on teles. On a strat it looks like this http://xhefriguitars.com/Stuff/Strat_Plus_Project/FinalBuildSteps/Plus12.jpg Perhaps on a tele it looks like what you have?

Either way if it plays at least half as good as it looks she's a keeper.

16. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2008
    Upstate NY
    That's a purty sweet thang, there. Owned a Squier CVC 'burst, x2 bound. Modded her up and sold it for my new, less expensive project. What's the price point on these? Tempting, for sure. I wonder if SD is making the 'bucker for it. If so, no interest here. But, that's one fine lookin' mama.

17. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Same as the other CVs ($380) but none of the US dealers seem to have any inventory and no word as to whether they will. Long & McQuade has them in Canada but you'll be nailed with Canadian sales tax which adds about $45 or so to the price. I'm trying to find out if the US dealers are in on this one.

18. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    Hey, Riolux,
    Care to give us your impressions of the tone, now that you've had some time with your new guitar?
    How does that neck pickup sound? How does it sound in the middle position?
    Thanks

19. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

Yeah, I'm really curious about how it sounds, mainly the middle and neck positions.

20. riolux

riolux Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well I finally got to play it through my AC30.
    This is my first CV, so I'm not sure how the others sound.
    The bridge pickups has a lot of bottom but becomes snappy and twangy towards the B and E strings. The neck pickup is delightful, very smooth and never muddy, a full bottom and very clear highs. I've been playing an esquire for a while so this pickup is going to get a lot of use. With a little drive added, there's a slight nasal tone about the pickup that I like.

The funny thing is, after dialing in a sound that pleased me with the selector in both neck and bridge position, I could hardly hear any difference between the neck and middle pos. I mean, you could hardly hear the switch! This was in the top boost channel. Playing at home in my little laney tube amp, there was quite a difference between the neck and middle position, especially with in the dirty channel, where the mid position produced a very nice quacky strat-like sound.

Recieved pickguard and pickup cover yesterday, so I'm going to change strings to 10s or 11s and keep fiddling with the pickup heights and we'll see.

scvtcgb.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.