Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New MIDI Recording Setup

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Stampede, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Stampede

Stampede TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2016
    NJ
    Hi all,

I’m interested in putting together a Guitar and MIDI recording setup. Where can I get the best MIDI instruments?

I’m looking for basic piano, strings and other instruments to play along with my guitar recordings. I have a midi keyboard already, as for software I’d be willing to pay for a DAW that comes “batteries included” though at the moment I just installed the new Cakewalk Freebie.

Is there a good place to get one off instrument plugins or a pack set?

chemobrain likes this.

2. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Batteries included DAWs would be Logic Pro if you're on Mac, or Reason if not.

But 'best' and 'basic' seldom go together.

3. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    For piano and strings I like Native Instruments....Their Grandeur piano is very tweakable so it can cover a wide range of acoustic piano sounds. I like their symphonic strings as well, much better than the ones that come with Studio One or the Waves or EZ Keys I have tried.

Frodebro likes this.

4. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Budget?

Seriously, we could recommend software that goes from free to hundreds, if not thousands of dollars depending on what you need, and how "best" you want...

You could spend $500 for just a piano...

What style(s) of music are you interested in? How much programming or tweaking do you want to do?

5. Stampede

Stampede TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2016
    NJ
    Ok, not on Mac and I see Reason has a sale going on. I heard both have really good MIDI instruments.

I'm trying to start with minimal investment too, so anyway to cut cost (like using Cakewalk + MIDI Bundle) would be best. less than $100. I'm trying to focus on traditional instruments like Piano, Organ, Vibes, Violin, Cello, various string, brass, and a good drum kit. Is it possible to buy instruments like one at a time? I wouldn't mind starting bit by bit. Free isn't bad especially to fill holes before getting better virtual instruments.

I'm interested in traditional folk, country, pop/rock, and would like to dabble in some reinterpretation of classical music with a mixture guitar and midi instruments. At bare bones being able to recreate any kinks song or house of the rising son by myself would be a great start.

6. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2008
    StatesVegas, NC
    Try Producer Spot. Lots of free and fee based instruments and effects. Kontakt has a very good assortment of VSTs and are on sale quite often. MDrummer Small is a decent free kit.

https://www.producerspot.com/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018

7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have a mac based system using logic and protools ,
    i guess the question you need to ask is , what do you want to do , with this , and beyond the usual I want to record tracks etc , reason is a great all in one sytem where you can virtually build your system or session but the earlier versions would not allow you to record externally to it, but Reason worked well with logic and would lock up using rewire that came inclusive to reason, garage band came with the mac os and is logics little brother, easy to use and comes with a ton of sounds and effects and is free with the o/s , garage band plug ins also work in logic, I have a few midi controllers including a roland Gr55 guitar synth , a Gk3 midi pickup mounted on one of my guitars and a godin synth ready nylon string guitar, to use with the GR55 , the midi out on the Gr55 will trigger sounds and samples I have stored or accessable in Logic as well.

My advice is dont impulse buy your system research it out to clearly understand what you need.

Hexabuzz likes this.

8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston

You might want to check out a Fishman Triple Play. It plays nice with most recording software.
    https://www.fishman.com/products/series/tripleplay/tripleplay-wireless-guitar-controller/

9. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane

10. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2008
    Hingham, MA
    If You haven't purchased a DAW you should compare what comes resident with the different programs. Some of the included loops in Studio One are great! I am sure it is true for the other DAWs as well.

When I first started I was looking for a bajillion vst's, sounds etc... but found that I actually only use a few.

KC

11. Stampede

Stampede TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2016
    NJ
    Thanks guys for all the advice.
    I was also looking into the latest Acid Pro 8, as I have v7 and the upgrade isn't too much. But it doesn't provide much outside of a lot of free loops. I much rather focus on Midi instruments, which Cakewalk has a nice basic set of.

Thank you for the tip on Kontakt player and the producerspot site, I will try those out. I think I can piece together a decent setup with these, enough to get started for sure :)

I was actually looking into Jam Origin's Midi Guitar software. My goal is to install the trial version, get everything running and see how it sounds in the setup before jumping in financially.

12. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    well what's best I use REASON 10.2 and it come with a nice set of gear synths and recorder give is a try before you buy.I have been using it for almost 20 years. I not creating switched on back neither do I have wendy carlos skill set.

13. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2011
    California
    OP.....

I've been with Cakewalk since 1994 and upgraded faithfully and currently staying with X3.
    Doesn't the Cakewalk you have (the free Bandlab version) have the TTS-1 General Midi sounds installed with it already?
    Since you have the midi keyboard all the generic midi you mentioned you may already have and would likely be appropriate/applicable for you at this juncture.
    As you learn more about how midi sounds (cheesy vs. convincing to the ears) and working with it you can always upgrade later.

I don't know if Cakewalk Platinum has changed or omitted the TTS-1 so if I'm misunderstanding your post do ignore my suggestion.....maybe I'm waxing daft in my old age.

Carry on....

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 11:29 AM

14. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2009
    Bethesda, MD.
    I guess I got in on this a little late LOL

If checking out DAW with nice complimentary vst/i and sample/loop packs, Mixcraft 8 is an option worth looking at. It's very affordable and has sales going on all the time. I'm just a hobbyist so it has everything I need.

www.acoustica.com

M

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.