Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

new member - first amp kit - 5F2 tweed princeton

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by 0 2339, Mar 7, 2018.

1. 0 2339

0 2339 TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2018
    oeste - portugal
    hey all,

new member here from portugal/europe.
    i've been lurking around your pages for quite some time and decided to join as i just finished my first kit-amp that i'd like to share and might modify in the next few months. i always found great info on these pages and so i'm looking forward to the time on here.

one thing i have to say is HUGE THANKS to robrobinette for his awesome homepage and all the infos he is willing to share - if you read this: THANKS A LOT BROTHER : )

... but since a thread is always better with pictures i'd like to share some pix of my latest (and first ever) amp kit i built - it's a tweed princeton circuit from the nice folks at tube-amp-doctor/germany.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

if there's anything i should take care of please let me know, i'm here to learn : )

cheers
    christoph

Darkness and D'tar like this.

2. magic smoke

magic smoke Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 28, 2017
    Quantum Entanglement

3. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2015
    Orange County
    Hey Christoph,
    Nice clean looking first build, congrats. I'm a big fan of the 5F2A for home use and with a band at moderate volume.
    John

4. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Looks nice! 2 suggestions:

Where is the ground lead of your power cord attached? Electrical code requires that it be attached with a dedicated fastener, one not shared with another component like a transformer, using a locking fastener. Transformers can loosen over time, leading to a loose ground. That ground is critical for your safety.

Adjust the nut and lockring on your power switch so the switch doesn't stick out so far. It can be damaged in the event the amp tips over, or if something bashes into it during handling.

arielyitus likes this.

5. 0 2339

0 2339 TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2018
    oeste - portugal
    thanks for the welcome and the suggestions - ground is in fact wired to a "solder lug washer" (is that the word??) that's attached to the pt... i'm gonna take care of that, and the switch is already done.

just a question soundwise: is it normal for this amp to sound a bit muddy when turning back the guitar's vol pot? i was expecting some fender-like pikey treble, but it's rather on the smoother side even with the tone pot on 12... it's definately enough when the guitar's vol is turned to max but as soon as i turn it back 1/2/3 numbers i'm kinda loosing all the treble....

btw., i use 50's wiring on all my guitars and good components so that's for sure not the issue. and another thing i have to state is that i'm still not finished with the cab, so at the moment i'm playing into a badcat unleash v2 into an 8ohm speaker, maybe that plays a role too... can't wait to hear it in the big box with the 8" : )

cheers

6. skippolony

skippolony Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2015
    Liverpool. UK.
    Hi and welcome to TDPRI.

7. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Welcome!

About treble: The 5f2a and most tweeds are very mid-voiced compared to a blackface where we think of spikey (or sparkling) Fender treble. But the fact you can’t turn down the guitar volume without losing more treble sounds odd.

A simple phone recording of the amp at mid volume, mid tone settings might help.

8. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    Are the input jacks wired exactly per the schematic? I played around with different setups there and found that different setups had a different effect on the interaction between guitar volume pot and brightness, some being darker than others when the guitar was turned down.

9. 0 2339

0 2339 TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2018
    oeste - portugal
    thanks for the input guys!

i didn't have time enough to experiment a lot but the wiring should be correct. anyway, i'm gonna have more time on the weekend and i will check everything again and might be able to post some sounds...

i'm also gonna link the schematics here - if it is not allowed to post the link to the vendor's schematics/layouts site please let me know and i'll remove the link immediately... new member ya know : )

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/images/artikel/Full Documentation One-6 GS-25.04.16.pdf

@jonrpick: can you give me some details of the different setups - sounds interesting

cheers

10. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Can we get a close up photo of the volume and tone pot connections please.

11. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    And welcome to the madness!!!!

12. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    That is one of my favorite amps, but I know myself enough to know that I would not be able to build one. It looks real clean from here...good luck and welcome

13. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    I can't see clearly but it appears that the input on the volume pot should jumper over to the wiper of the tone pot. It looks like the jumper is connected to both wipers. Check closely against you layout.

14. 0 2339

0 2339 TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2018
    oeste - portugal
    thanks again for the greetings!
    ayy, d'tar you're correct - i jumpered the two outputs. already rewired, now i'm gonna crawl under a stone and when i get out i will go back to playing lego

15. 65GP

65GP TDPRI Member

Jun 2, 2018
    NL
    Hello, I’m new here and I just posted my first post. Then I saw this post about the exact same kid I just build.
    Unfortunately I new also on building amps so could use some help! Basically everything is working but the speaker output is extremely low. Maybe you can help me out and reply on my post.
    Thx! Peet (65GP)

16. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Welkom, Peet. I see this thread has been napping since March. Feel free to create a new one to post your question; you may get more eyeballs that way.

17. arielyitus

arielyitus Tele-Meister

May 4, 2016
    Clarkston, Mi
    I think it could be the common trebble loss when lowering volume on your guitar. I have not experienced that since I installed a trebble bleed circuit in my strat.

18. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Yea, I install a Kinman treble bleed circuit in all my guitars for that reason.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.