Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New member and NGD!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ccos, Mar 6, 2013.

1. ccos

ccos TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Worcester, MA
    Hi folks,

I've been lurking for a bit, but didn't have much to add since I didn't own a tele, but I solved that problem today :)

I picked up a Squire Vintage Modified Thinline from Musicians Friend with a 20% off coupon I had.

Fit and finish were nice on this one. They say it is gold, but it seems more like a silver-gold to me. I do like the color whatever it is. Frets may need a tiny bit of dressing on the ends to dull them a little, but they haven't chewed up my hands yet. The intonation was also way out but that was a pretty quick fix. The action is nice. I'm real happy with it for what I paid for it!

I'll probably change out the pickups at some point. I may go with a little '59 in the bridge, but I am currently building a Mission Amps 5E3, so I will wait until I hear this guitar through the new amp before I start swapping out pickups though.

Does anyone know what strings come on this from the factory? The seem pretty light. Are they 9's? It came in a sealed fender box (within another box), but there was no Squire/Fender documentation in the box. The box was sealed too, and everything was well packed, so I don't think it was a return. I did get the Allen key. Usually there is a little notecard in the box or something, no?

Anyway, I'm glad to finally own a telecaster!

Attached Files:

2. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

May 24, 2012
    Kansas City
    Nice! I like those VM Thinlines!

3. JayBeezy42

JayBeezy42 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2012
    Kansas
    Welcome aboard and congrats on the new guitar! I had an old car that was a similar color gold and the manufacturer called it 'champagne gold'. I thought that was an awesome name for a color, sounded classy as hell. :cool:

I checked on Sweetwater and the have it listed as being shipped with 9-42 strings.

4. nickwort

nickwort Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2011
    South Bend/Ligonier, Indiana
    I believe these have a shorter scale length? So that in combination with fact that it has 9's is probably why they feel so light. Nice guitar though! I've always wanted to play one, but I've never ran into them anywhere. Congrats.

5. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Nice Tele! I currently have a Lil59 in one of my Teles. Great rock and roll pickup. You'll like it.

BTW, nice Blues Cube. I had one, but I sold it when I was "reducing staff" before I moved to NC. I'd love to get another someday. Best back up amp to a Fender EVER. Great tone, and practically indestructable.

6. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    the VM thinlines have a 24 3/4" scale vs. the standard Fender 25 1/2" scale.

those are sweet guitars! congrats!

I'm curious how the body is routed under the pickguard on that model.

7. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc
    great looking guitar! and welcome, you'll love it here

8. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

Welcome from another local TDPRI-ER!

I'm up in Leominster.

My Squier Classic Vibe Custom has this on the headstock, it had the truss rod tool, and a bridge saddle tool stapled to it...that was it for paperwork!

[​IMG]

9. Lactopuppy

Lactopuppy TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Cebu City, Phils.
    that's a cool lookin tele right there :)

10. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted

Welcome. I'm the lookout for one of those.

11. ccos

ccos TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Worcester, MA
    Thanks. I like the old blues cube. I bought that baby new in '96. I was looking up some info on it recently and I was pleasantly surprised to see people's opinions on it these days. Seems like I made a good choice (for a solid state) when I got it. Looks like they still have a decent resale too. I'm not selling ine though :)

12. ccos

ccos TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Worcester, MA
    Thanks! I haven't taken it apart yet, but when I do I will post some photos.

13. ccos

ccos TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Worcester, MA
    Hey umasstele. I am actually in Lancaster, but nobody east of 495 or west of Worcester seems to know where that is :) I also went to Umass. Class of '96!

And I just checked the little bag that has my truss rod tool in it, and the bridge allen key is in there too. Thanks for mentioning it! I was actually going to venture through a foot of fresh snow and go out to my shed today to find my allen set since I have a buzz on my low E that needs taking care of. You saved me a trip out there :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.