Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New LP/Tele Hybrid Idea - need input

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Treadplatedual, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN
    Whoa... So you could use ash? Why doesn't anyone?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Heavy? Tradition dictates a lot of the timber uses in instruments. Dimensional stability and weight are considerations when putting together a guitar. You tend to see more non traditional woods used in basses.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/oak-body-tele-with-an-ash-neck.721183/ Looks like he ended up with maple and something else though.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 4:05 PM
  3. Treadplatedual

Oct 17, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN
    Time for level crown and polish while the finish dries!

20190213_100050.jpg 20190213_100036.jpg

4. Treadplatedual

Oct 17, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN
    Progress! Still need to make a cavity cover, wire it up, and the pop in tuners/string it up/set it up/play it up. 20190213_132114.jpg

5. Treadplatedual

Oct 17, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN
    Almost done!

So, I misplaced the screws for the bridge, but had some that were roughly the same size.

Except now I can't turn the intonation screws since their heads are a tiny bit too big, lol!

Also, the pickups sound magnificent, but the tone control may be wired wonky. It works from about 1 to 8, but after 8 shuts off the sound entirely. Any idea what that might be?

Could it be because I soldered the ground wires to the tone pot rather than the volume pot? I'm a bit of a noob at the electronic troubleshooting game.

Or, if i had the wrong value of orange drop cap, would that have the same effect? I think i went with a 22 rather than 47 per the pickup mfrs recommendations.
    20190213_163439.jpg 20190213_163502.jpg 20190213_163509.jpg

CraigB likes this.
  6. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    The cap shouldnt be the problem. I’d say you have a wonky tone pot, or a no load tone pot that is wired incorrectly. A pic would help.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  7. Treadplatedual

Oct 17, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'll get a Pic once I feel like working on it again :) as it stands, it sounds great, I just need to remember not to dime the tone pot.

Truth be told, I probably could have left it off, but old habits die hard.

Also, quite the heavy beast - she weighs in at 8 lbs 6.4 ounces, squarely in Lester territory. Not bad for a 1 piece poplar body first design!

8. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Wow, that's pretty heavy for poplar! Nice job!

9. Treadplatedual

Oct 17, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN
    Definitely not a no-load tone pot, just a split-shaft cts 500k.

10. Treadplatedual

Oct 17, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN
    Figured it out - when I was going to take a Pic to post on here, realized pots had contact in a spot they definitely should not have had.

3 seconds of fiddling, now it's sounding like it should.

I put a shim in the neck, got the action down to where I like it, and tomorrow I'll have some tones to post!

CraigB likes this.
  11. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Why? Because like Elm and Locust which are beautiful it weighs a metric ton LOL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.