New LP/Tele Hybrid Idea - need input

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Treadplatedual, Jan 31, 2019.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Not being a Debbie Downer here but buying a neck does not constitute a scratch build. Were you to want to do so you could have the scale length anything you like and I would be among the first to help :)

2. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

Heh, all right, so it's my first body from scratch :D

I haven't written off the idea of making necks just yet, but Mr. Kirn seems to like using someone else's necks just fine so I'm taking a page from his book to start out.

Once I have the shape down, I'll build the neck and definitely be grateful for any help you can toss my way :)

3. crazydave911

Anytime friend ;),pretty much my favorite part

CD1563.JPG CD1564.JPG CD1621.JPG CD1622.JPG

dickjonesify and Treadplatedual like this.
  4. Treadplatedual

So, I've decided i really don't like poplar :D couple tearout issues,and it burned up a bearing on a brand new top bearing bit. I'll have to spend a fair amount of time sanding the shape to where i want it before roundover.

What do you think, 3/8 round over? 20190203_220053.jpg

5. Treadplatedual

Update: hogged out pickup cavities then routed, notice the bottom humbucker route is off - double-stick tape moved on me while routing the cavities. Guess this one's going to be a pickguard guitar!

3/8 roundover looks and feels great! It's so awesome to go from blank to body! Now to figure out the neck route and control cavities.

20190204_212242.jpg 20190204_220112.jpg 20190204_223145.jpg 20190204_223152.jpg

Any ideas on control routing? I'm going PRS-style 3-way toggle, 1v1t. I could make a big 72 Deluxe-style Pickguard. Thoughts?

Also, I had my kids pick out the color, so this will be a baby blue. Should be interesting with baby blue body, black pickguard/pickups, and a yellow neck.

dickjonesify likes this.
  6. Treadplatedual

7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

Treadplatedual likes this.
  8. Treadplatedual

Thanks, Freeman! Both are most helpful.

Would it be better to try and fill/reroute spots I've messed up on pickup cavities, or would a pick guard do the job passably?

9. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

That depends on the finish you will be using, how bad the damage is, whether you like pick guards or not. I don't use pick guards, so that isn't an option for me, and I know that most of the finishes I use will just make a splice look worse. However I have done that a couple of times and if anyone asks I just say "router bobble". Here is an example - a little router chip out when I was doing the binding channel. Its under the binding right at the end inside the horn. I chiseled a rectangular section out and fit a piece of maple in to it, but as you can see the glue seam stands out pretty badly

IMG_3604.JPG

Oh, I have to correct myself - this particular guitar did get a pick guard

CraigB, mrz80 and Treadplatedual like this.
  10. Treadplatedual

Great! This one will be a solid color finish, so I could pretty easily glue and clamp some thin shims etc in, and it would stay more or less hidden with the right preparation.

As far as pickguards, I haven't decided if I want to run with a back route for controls, or make a big obnoxious 72 tele-esque pickguard.

Thoughts? Which is easier, routing wise?

Man, what would I do without you! Also, Hiscock's book just arrived, I'm going to pore over it the next few days. Also, I'm taking next week off of work, so I may just start build 2 while I'm waiting for the finish to cure on this one :D

11. Treadplatedual

Updates:

Routed out the rear cavity. I tried to do this with straightedge after hogging it out with a forstner bit, and I think I'll have to make some templates for the next build.

Drilled the jack hole, worked great freehand!

20190208_075551.jpg

Also countersunk the neck bushing holes and drilled the neck and string through holes, and routed a channel for wiring.

20190208_075545.jpg 20190208_075535.jpg

I'm excited! It's actually sort of looking like a guitar now!

Macrogats and dickjonesify like this.
  12. Treadplatedual

How do I ensure my neck pocket is flat? I did a decent job of routing it to the proper depth (aside from a tiny snafu with my palm router not being in a locked position, minimal slip before i realized it.

To get it perfectly flat, should I just use a sanding block? Is it even necessary to do so if the neck angle isn't affected?

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

The tight waist on that body reminds me of the Leslie West signature Dean that was out a few years ago...:cool:

14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You can just scrape it with a chisel or stick some abrasive on a hard flat block and clean it up. This is assuming it is level but with machine tool marks.

15. Treadplatedual

Exactly that, good idea with the chisel!

16. Treadplatedual

Sanding sealer then primer on, super excited to see this beast with the actual color on it!

Attached Files:

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  17. crazydave911

No, no neck build threads per sey,but all my build threads have a neck build in them.That one is from my failed 2012 build challenge (didn't finish in time).The reason for my mindset I suppose is I read everything I could find and made a neck on my first build long ago.It's pretty damn ugly but still works lol

18. Treadplatedual

Haha I hear you. This one is going to have a few finish imperfections, but it's just for me so I'm ok with that. Now that I know I CAN, I will build a bunch more that are perfect. Ish.

I've already got the woods picked out - there's some crazy flamed mahogany aty local store that I've been itching to make a body out of, and the have flamed maple neck blanks that will be glorious :) I'll probably start on regular maple with a neck build though.

Speaking of which, is soft maple strong enough for necks? They are out of hard rock maple.

First color coats on! 20190211_013300.jpg 20190211_012856.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  19. crazydave911

SOME soft maple is,I've always had good luck with curly maple,gunstock grade

20. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Soft maple should be fine assuming it is dry and defect free. Soft maple is just a name used to differentiate it from Hard maple.

Harmony and Danelectro used poplar and they held up. I bet poplar is less dense than soft maple...and if you look at the charts, it is. Wood has a density, and the higher the density, the harder it is to put a ding in it. Density and weight go hand and hand. Heck I made a neck out of pine. Most anything will work. Tradition is a whole different matter. Consider that mahogany is about the same density, I'd say you are OK.

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/differences-between-hard-maple-and-soft-maple/

http://tinytimbers.com/janka.htm

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.