Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New laws went into effect in Tennessee today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jan 1, 2018.

1. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I used to write laws as part of my career. Pretty specific types of laws but laws nonetheless. The thing you have to remember is that laws are not written to be a pain in the butt to the mostly good folks out there. They're to prevent the worst abuses by the biggest A-holes in any given field. And most of them end up being there for a pretty good reason and are supported by most of the honest practitioners in whatever field it's related to. Nobody writes laws to get in the way of the good folks out there, but there's no such thing as a perfect law (or perfect anything else) and every one I've ever seen has been like the fishing net that's not supposed to be able to trap a dolphin but eventually does. It mostly does what it's supposed to do but eventually it inadvertently screws over a good guy and that will get a LOT of news coverage and then you generally have to try to amend the law to create an exception so THAT doesn't happen again, but eventually that very amendment will create some other unintended problem and it's kind of an endless process. It's not a problem you can ever SOLVE, but it's one you have to MANAGE.

But the one thing that career taught me is that just because I don't personally see the reason to even have some of the laws on the books doesn't mean there wasn't a perfectly good reason for them, at least at the time they were written. Once changes in society/technology/etc makes them irrelevant they can look pretty stupid (anti-sodomy laws anyone?) but they're hard to repeal so there are usually a few really stupid really old laws on the books in any given place that make for a funny news story every now and then when someone runs afoul of it. But its nearly impossible to pass a law in these divided times and about three times harder than THAT to repeal one, so a lot of dumb old laws stay on the books. Oh well.

daddyplaysbass likes this.

2. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    We need more laws regulating haircuts. Especially white guys with dreadlocks.

3. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    Around here I wish they would start ticketing people who raised their trucks and 4x and didn't readjust the lights. I can't imagine the police aren't being blinded by them.

daddyplaysbass likes this.

4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Is it ok if the Feathers are in a Box or, Bucket?

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    My wife and I were in Australia back in March, and I learned that it is illegal to raise your truck beyond 2".

6. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    That doesn't surprise me. It's also apparently illegal to use your fireplace, at least in some areas there.

7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Is this like an U-bar-ber thing? Maybe little lighted barber poles on the dash so you can flag them down if you need an emergency haircut.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    bluesky1963 and SecretSquirrel like this.

8. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2014
    New Iberia, LA
    GT,
    i agree with you about new laws. Most of the ones passed are a solution looking for a problem, or way the government can extort more money out of the tax payers n the form of "fees".

troy2003 likes this.

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Well California just became the asparagus capital of the world as of January 1st, 2018.

[​IMG]

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

We did things the easy way in Louisiana. We just ripped off the laws we liked, from other states. I was actually prouder of the repeal of some laws, that we accomplished, because we do tend to err on the side of too many, and not too few laws. Too many laws really does seem like full employment for too many graduates of too many law schools.

The real trick is getting a cohesive "product" and not a mismash of competing laws that don't gel with one another.

Tennessee tightened up on driving/using cell phones near schools. I think that's a decent idea. But I like what they did last year, better = wine readily for sale in grocery stores, in Memphis and so forth.

+

Btw, I couldn't wait for the law on haircuts to change in Tennessee. I got mine cut in Louisiana - just to be on the safe side. :^)

LutherBurger likes this.

11. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Tennessee home delivery special.

[​IMG]

12. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Since I drove right by a barbershop every day going to and from work, I decided to stop and give it a try. I sat down and as soon as my rear end settled in the seat the guy went to cutting. I started to tell the guy how I wanted my haircut when the barber interrupted me and said. I don't mean to cut you off, but there ain't no use in going into all of that, you see I just give one haircut, if you don't like it, don't come back, what you want makes no difference at all to me. I got the rest of that haircut, but I didn't require any more of 'em, at least not for quite a while.

troy2003 and drlucky like this.

13. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    So I take it you’re not keen on allowing drive through liquor stores in states with really tough drunk driving laws? ;)

drlucky likes this.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think we (In New Orleans) would have more than our share of drunk driving, with or without drive through Daiquiri shops. My solution was to offer every bedroom (including my own) to party guests who had too much to drink, and I was stalwart about never defending DWI cases for anybody.

I've got to admit, I just don't "get" drive through barns that are selling cases of beer. If a guy is unable to walk (into the store) he shouldn't be allowed to buy beer. At least the drinks at Daiquiri shops are like a cup of coffee, in that they have a super short life span.

15. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Every time someone customizes a perfectly silly vehicle, the tooth fairy practices saddle-mounting a giraffe in a rooftop pool. Coincidence?!

16. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    That was the main one, but what you wouldn't know unless you're local - the law was not aimed at people who are already properly driving through active school zones. The law is aimed at those parents who line up in the middle turning lane, and the opposite right side lane closest to the school... and then grab their phone while the traffic cop is directing everyone. Apparently these people are so distracted by their phones that they are allowing large gaps of space, not realizing that the car in front of them has advanced. This has caused some road rage/angered drivers/dangerous traffic conditions, and traffic cops having to deal with it all.

So this law was intended to give officers the ability to ticket people who are distracted by their phone in these school zones.

But wait... you say... isn't "distracted driving" already illegal... like, in all conditions, not just school zones? Yes it is.

The only practical thing this law changes it that you cannot have a phone held up to your ear in a school zone, which doesn't seem to solve the problem the law was designed for.

17. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    I didn't know they had raised the age for that.

troy2003 likes this.

18. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    Marry a woman that knows how to give a haircut. That's what I did.

1955 likes this.

19. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Midwest
    Back in the late '60s and early '70s aircraft landing lights as headlights were the rage. It only lasted a couple years before the Iowa legislature put an end to it.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Where was it that they almost passed a law making pi equal 3.2?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.