Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New laws went into effect in Tennessee today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jan 1, 2018.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    And among them is a change to TCA Title 62, which now allows barbers to make house calls. Previously, barbers in Tennessee were only allowed to cut hair in the home of a customer if that person could show medical reason why they could not come to the barber shop.

The kicker: Any currently licensed barber wishing to begin making house calls must obtain a new separate license. For an additional fee, of course.

But this is good
    All car headlights must now be white or amber (fog lights). All other colors are (finally) banned on private vehicles. Also, only four headlights will be allowed to be "on" at any given time.

I'm almost always against passing new laws, because the vast majority of them are not practical, and are almost impossible to enforce. But the headlights around here have completely gotten out of hand. Up here in Robertson County, all the boys now have these LED strips mounted to the cattle guard or roll bar of their truck... I suppose they use them for hunting/camping/outdoors stuff, which is great. Not so good when they keep them on while driving, which they all do. I hope they enforce this one.

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Seriously? Laws about barbers? That's almost an insult to voters who expect those jokers to do important work...

So by white, does that mean those blinding blueish laser headlights are now illegal? That would be good!

3. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    There's one joker around here with a blacked-out Chevy Tahoe all tricked out with lightbars...Orange lights embedded in the bumper, orange rings around each of the headlights, and a blue LED strip across the top of the windshield. When he pulls up behind you with all the lights on, you think a police officer is behind you. But that doesn't last long...he's either so close to your back bumper that you can't see the roof lights, or he blows by you going 65 in a 30.

4. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I have not read the specific law - only an online summary of the new laws. It appears that anything that is OEM on a street legal vehicle is valid. It is aftermarket lights that they are after.

Still, some of the OEM stuff is annoying at the least, and dangerously blinding at the worst. Even still... it's the aftermarket stuff that is way more prevalent around here. It seems that a lot of guys will "upgrade" their old stock lights with new LED stuff... but not get it installed or aimed correctly. So not only is it so much brighter, but it's aimed wrong too.

I don't guess I realized that this stuff wasn't already against the law. Growing up in Texas, driving in the 80s, all of this was already outlawed. I had a friend that got a steep fine for having the little blue dots that turned his break lights from red to purple. And that must have been 1988.

william tele likes this.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I'm totally in the minority. I love the blue LED headlights.

Yes, they are brighter, but for some reason not nearly as blinding to me as traditional halogens. Those things kill me. I can't see a thing. The LED seems brighter, but somehow not at all painful. And I can see around it. All around it. I can't see crap with traditional headlights coming at me. I much prefer to be driving into the led type.

Now the big bars, those things suck. No matter what kind of bulbs you out in those things, it's just way too much.

TheGoodTexan and william tele like this.

6. filtersweep

filtersweep Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2011
    Norway
    I'm tired of clowns driving what appear to be emergency vehicles. Around here, emergency vehicles are the only ones that can use blue lights. These bluish headlights mess me up.

7. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2013
    Lancashire UK
    +1, those damn blue tinged LED things are like having a searchlight trained on you.

william tele likes this.

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Laws can be good or bad although some are downright silly.
    Regulations can be good or bad.
    Most laws and regulations are well intentioned although some are actually purposefully harmful and possibly disadvantaging someone.
    Some reward the guilty and punish the innocent (and not necessarily how you may think).
    Laws about barbers other than licensing seem frivolous.

9. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    What I REALLY hate is when unlicensed barbers making house calls use multiple blue lights. It makes it impossible to tell an ordinary barber from an emergency barber! How are we supposed to know??

I'm a little tired today.

10. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    its an ancient law but it is still in effect , you cannot walk down the streets of Toronto with a bag of Chicken feathers , dont ask why. Cuz I dont know

william tele likes this.

11. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Coz you might be on your way to tar and feather a Murican?

24 track, fendertx and troy2003 like this.

12. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Because there are so many people getting "tarred and feathered" these days. Well, that used to be a think decades - maybe centuries - ago...

24 track likes this.

13. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    ...oops, @hemingway beat me to the punch. I should look a bit closer before posting.

14. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Supposedly it is illegal to purchase hamburgers on a Sunday here.

Also, I didn’t realize you needed a license to barber. What about all those practicing barbers that cut hair for fellow inmates. They better be careful, might end up in prison.

tonytrout and Ira7 like this.

15. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    In some places it is illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your pocket.

1955 likes this.

16. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    Headlight intensity and the height of the lights are the factors that need to be regulated.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

17. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I did read the exact law on the barber thing. There are about 20 sub laws there. One of them is that if you already have a license to practice medicine as a doctor or RN, you don't need to get a barber's license too. I call that a business opportunity! Think about it... yes, the colonoscopy is gonna be bad, but at least you'll wake up with a sweet new hair do!

18. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Guys like this are trying to compensate for an inadequacy when if you talk to their wife or girlfriend.

19. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Remnant from bloodletting?

Anode100 likes this.

20. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    The good ones you like are HID, not LED. They should be manditory for all vehicles, they don t blind you. They seem to give better resolution of objects, the wave lengths "pop" your view.

boris bubbanov and Jakedog like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.