Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Joyo Jf-10 Dyna Comp, Attack knob help!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by javierj, Sep 9, 2015.

1. javierj

javierj TDPRI Member

Hello,

Hope you are all doing great!

I am new to this forum! I am very happy that I joined it!

I recently purchased and received from Amazon.com, this nice looking compressor pedal. It is my first comp pedal so I don't have any comparison. I read on what a comp pedal is supposed to do and I really liked what I read, so I decided to give it a try with this inexpensive pedal, $37.79, shipped. So far I love the sound/tone and the thickness it gives to the signal. I like what the Sustain and Level knob do to my tone/sound, but I just have not been able to hear what the Attack knob does. I have tried putting the Sustain and Level knob in different positions and still cannot get anything from the Attack knob. I even put both the Sustain and Level knobs at max and then strummed a chord with the Attack knob at the lowest possible and then put the Attack knob at max and hit the same chord with same strumming intensity and got nothing. Is this normal, or could I be doing something wrong, could it be something defective with this pedal? It just seems like the Attack knob does not make any perceivable difference at all.

For people that have experience with this pedal, I would really appreciate some help on this!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

2. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    S'OK, I've got three compressors where the attack knob doesn't do anything much with any guitar I've tried through it. I'll be interested to know if there is a compressor out there where you can get on obvious reduction in attack.

3. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Michigan
    Attack knob should affect how much pop or dynamic range you get with single notes, like chicken picking type stuff. Try it with single notes with different level settings.

4. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jan 13, 2013
    England
    I agree that there are a lot of compressors where the Attack control seems to do little or nothing. A couple I've found where the Attack is noticeable are the Bearfoot Evergreen and the VFE White Horse. The Compact Tone Press also has an attack control that works though it's a two way switch iirc.

5. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I don't know about the Joyo, but based on your description it sounds like it working the same as it does on the Boss (CS2 and CS3).... you will not notice any difference unless you are playing quickly (steady 8ths or faster).

On the Boss the attack is technically a release speed - so the attack of the 2nd note is dependent on how fast the compressor is releasing the previous note. You will never hear a change hitting just one note. Set too high the fast notes begin to sound softer in attack... I did some extensive tests with my boss CS2 and the different is dramatic with faster passages. There is a sweet spot to find, where everything feels the most natural. (again, don't test this with one note... play a few faster passages during tests)

To make matters more confusing, some company's have the attack knob wired in reverse of others so first you need to figure out which direction is actually "turning it up or down".

6. javierj

javierj TDPRI Member

Hey thanks a lot to everyone for your replies, I really apreciate all the excellent help and support that I can get from this forums!

7. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Attack controls the amount of time it takes for the signal to begin compressing. More time and you get a longer transient peak giving you more dynamics on the initial pick of the string. Less time and it compresses the signal quicker giving you less of the initial signal peak duration.

An attack control won't affect the release unless they labeled the control incorrectly or the pot controls both attack and release simultaneously.

8. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana
    I have found the attack to work pretty good on some of the MS50 and G3 Zoom compressor models.

9. javierj

javierj TDPRI Member

Okay, but on this particular compressor pedal, the Joyo Jf-10, is it normal that I don't hear any difference when I turn the Attack knob all the way clock wise or all the way counter clock wise and then play the guitar and hear no difference? Or at least no noticeable difference like the real difference I get when tweaking the other knobs, the Sustain and Level knobs?

So based on what the Attack knob is supposed to do, general terms on a compressor pedal, when I turn it all the way clock wise, it should be a Fast compression and if I turn it all the way counter clock wise it should be slow compression, is that correct?

Is nothing bad about the pedal for me, since I love the difference in tone/sound, that I am getting by just using the Sustain and Level knobs, but I was just wondering about the Attack knob.

To other people that own and use this pedal, I would appreciate their experiences using this pedal's Attack knob.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

10. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    Thanks.

11. cjones132002

cjones132002 TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Salem Oregon
    I have a buddy who has and loves this pedal. The attack must be very subtle because I definitely hear a difference on my CS3 when I turn the attack knob. I will ask my friend what his thoughts are on it.

12. javierj

javierj TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot buddy!

13. javierj

javierj TDPRI Member

What do you mean with the word ''pop'', when you said,

''Attack knob should affect how much pop or dynamic range you get with single notes''

14. javierj

javierj TDPRI Member

I just found this which seems like a good explanation for the ''Attack'' knob on this pedal. This is from a 5 Stars review on Amazon.com on this pedal, the Joyo Jf-10 Dyna Compressor:

'' "Attack" refers to how soon the compression effect kicks after the note is struck. Turning the knob up produces a "chicken picking" effect where the note is very clear and pronounced...''

So would this means that if I turn the ''Attack'' knob clockwise, it would make the compressor kick in faster after the note is struck and counter clockwise will make it kick in slower?

Thanks a lot in advance!

15. calan

calan TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I've had this pedal for a week or so and have played around with it quite a bit. A few things I've noticed about it, compared to most other similar compressors:

1). The JF-10 is not a "squashed like a bug" compressor. It is a transparent, subtle, and quiet compressor that works more like a true compressor, rather than an "effect".

2). The controls are very interactive. In other words, you can't really tweak just one and hear a drastic difference. BUT... when you try different combinations, you'll start to hear subtle (and IMO, excellent) compression.

3). To really hear how the attack function works...

Dial up a bright sparkly clean tone on your amp, and set the JF-10 sustain to max, level to about 12:00. Play with a hot bridge pickup while changing your pick attack from mild to hard plucking. At the full CCW attack position, you'll hear it really clamping the attack and smoothing things out, even to the point of sounding muffled. At the full CW position, it will almost sound at first like it's not doing anything...but then you'll hear the notes continue to ring when they would normally die out. (Full CCW causes the compression to start immediately; full CW brings the compression on gradually so the pick attack and the majority of the initial tone passes through unaffected).

Once you get the feel of that, dial up a singing overdrive tone and notice what you can do with it. You may be amazed at how you can smooth out lead lines.

With 35+ years of playing and noodling around under my belt, I absolutely love this compressor. It's very clean, quiet, transparent, and just flat out excels at being what a guitar compressor should be.

IMO, if you have to occasionally look at the compressor to see if it's on, it's doing it's job...and I've never found that in a stomp box until now. ;)

16. javierj

javierj TDPRI Member

Thanks so much for that great explanation, I really apreciate it calan.

So far I am really enjoing what this comp pedal does to my sound. It looks like I will be having it on pretty much all the time, due to the amazing "thick" sound that I am getting with it! Absolute great sound!

17. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I do not know about the Joyo in particular, but the Attack knob on the Boss compressors (CS2, CS3) control release times, not attack. The effect is noticed on the attack of subsequent notes and chords, not on the initial one. You will never hear the effect of the attack knob by playing a single note, turning the knob, and playing the note again.... You will if you substitute the single note with an actual guitar lick.

Yes, it is labelled incorrectly - but on purpose. When playing passages, you notice it in the attack, and that's what guitar players understand. Also labelled incorrectly is "Sustain" which is not an actual compression term. That is done so guitar players do not have to work with the terms "Ratio" and "Threshold" (which is combined to make the sustain knob).

18. calan

calan TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Oklahoma
    It's been forever since I played thru one, but it's possible that the older compressor stomp boxes just aren't capable of reacting fast enough for the first note (going from dead silence to "instance" full attack). In that case, it would sound like it's controlling release, and not attack just as you described. They probably use a soft-knee compressor circuit (just a hunch), so attack speed would be limited to begin with.

The Joyo is most definitely controlling the note's attack with the attack knob. I'm not sure how they have the release set up, but it seems to be directly tied to the sustain control. I'm guessing that knob controls both the compression ratio and release time.

19. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jan 13, 2013
    England
    The lack of naming conventions in compressors can make things confusing. Input Volume that is actually a Threshold control, Attack or Release, Sustain that usually means Compression etc. While more knobs generally mean more control and fine tuning options, it's nice to find a simple two knob comp that gives the exact sound you are seeking.

20. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Fully agree... This is the primary reason compressor pedals are marketed and labelled the way they are. Most guitar players heads would explode if they were handed a full featured compressor. There is something to be said for simplicity that still sounds great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.