Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Jimi Hendrix LP coming...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by lammie200, Dec 6, 2017.

1. kellybluz

kellybluz TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2011
    southern oregon
    Man can't they just leave well enough alone ? :confused: it's like beating a dead horse . I was excited when they first came out with the lost or unfinished or jamming tapes they had just to hear some more Jimi but some of it was crap money making stuff that Jimi would not have released. imho

2. DaveGo

DaveGo TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Austin
    rze99 likes this.
  3. SurfRose

SurfRose NEW MEMBER!

Dec 6, 2017
    USA

If Jesus wept it was only over how sweet his signature SG Model was.

Slip Kid, Badger06 and Mjark like this.
  4. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I am instructing you to buy it. Haha. Good one. You got me with my pants down.

BTW, have you heard Stephen Stills and Hendrix play together? Someone above got ripped off on a Johnny Winter/Hendrix bootleg. What if this isn't that and much better from a sonic standpoint? I know you still don't want it. But don't forget, I am instructing you to buy it.

Rospo likes this.
  5. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I would love to hear some new good Hendrix. I just don't think there is any left. I'll wait for a credible review.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Wow.. his estate is really milking this stuff....

7. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I understand. Hopefully it is good. I liked the two other ones that they put together.

8. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    Naa, Sounds more like a cult following that a fan of a musician.

9. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Stuff like this usually disappoints for all the reasons listed above. And it kind of makes me sad. Tommy Bolin's family does the same thing. The same songs over and over, just different takes

10. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Two? By my count there have been at least ten posthumous Hendrix studio releases since 1971. Which is impressive, since he only issued four albums of original material (one a double, though) while he was alive.

11. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I was thinking about this last trilogy of Valleys of Neptune and People, Hell and Angels. I have most of the others and all his studio work. I have yet to be disappointed.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    If it sucks as much as the stuff he recorded while alive I won't be buying it.

13. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    To me a cult following would be if I had posters of someone above my race car bed in my bedroom. Being a musician and wanting to hear work by another musician is a passion of mine. If you really want to prove your point talk to a Deadhead that has a bootleg collection. I would like to hear about it.

14. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada
    That Gibson stuff is just crass, full stop. But I see the Hendrix music as more of a "here are some of Michaelangelo's sketches" for your amusement. Unfinished work for sure, but Hendrix proved his worth in his small but unparallelled body of work. IMO of course. BTW, I was underwhelmed by Valleys of Neptune, but only because it sounded like it was caught in an era that has passed me by. Still curious though.

lammie200 likes this.
  15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    They are still releasing Zappa albums, Beatles out-take collections, etc. I welcome these albums. One of my favorite recordings of Les Paul is not even of him playing, its of him and Chet cutting up between songs... funny stuff and it lets you in on how much Chet idolized Les Paul... though they spend most of their time taking jabs at each other. I started playing guitar long after Jimi died and I devoured the scant few albums he released, so posthumous stuff was much of what listened to. Jimi Plays Berkeley was a great album and was one of these and I wore that one smooth. Then I sought out every interview and that showed me how fried Jimi was from drugs. There were very few where Jimi didn't eventually start babbling incoherently. Some of these albums had half finished song ideas that he had only recorded the guitar parts for. All of it was interesting to me.
    They are an insight into where Jimi was headed musically. He was apparently very frustrated by the guitar god image and was working to free himself from it. Besides, some of those half baked song ideas are a rare chance to hear Jimi just noodling like a regular guy. None of these releases are intended to be the next Are You Experienced. They are like the photos that don't make the family scrapbook. No less precious than the ones that do.

16. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Digitally re-mastered with the Octavia added.

17. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
  18. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Evidently the SF Gate link was taken down a while ago. As far as I remember there was nothing in it that isn't in the Guitar Player link above. In fact that link shows what was/wasn't previously released and who guested on which tracks.

19. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Janie Hendrix still trying to capitalize on Jimi's name.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.