Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Jimi Hendrix LP coming...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by lammie200, Dec 6, 2017.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Yeah...I thought--a Jimi Les Paul?? lol

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm skeptical. If it was good it would been released in his lifetime or at least long before the present.

MDent77 and Dismalhead like this.

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Spot on. There have already been so many albums put out with "previously unreleased material" after he died that this has to be the bottom of the barrel that he would have never wanted anyone to hear.

4. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    Oh, totally. His death is proof that these songs are not worth a damn. He shouldn't have died if he wanted this material to see the light of day.

drf64 likes this.

5. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    Hendrix's 4 studio albums plus Band Of Gypsys were great, but everything since then has been like, "well, we found a bunch more demo or live tracks laying around, so we'll release another album". I'm skeptical too, but am prepared to be proven wrong.

Utah Joe and Mjark like this.

6. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Janie Hendrix has been wringing every penny she can out of the estate.

7. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Ever appreciate an artist so much that you have to have everything that they did? You might not want to pay the man (or Janie) for it, but if you want it you will. If you don't want it and want to be critical of it, go for it, but the optics are such that your are nothing more than cranky. Chill.

papa32203 and FenderLover like this.

8. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Cranky is well done here. It's the predominant TDPRI leitmotif.

Flat6Driver likes this.

9. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Yeah, at this point his "previously unreleased" material was unreleased for good reasons.

Fortunately for Janie, there are still lots of folks out there who will buy ANY recordings with Jimi's name on them.

I learned my own lesson many, many years ago when I bought a bootleg recording of "Johnny Winter and Jimi Hendrix - LIVE!" Just a noisy mess of a recording of a couple guys too loaded to do any better.
    Not saying this new release is that bad, but I'll remain in the skeptical camp. And I'm a big Hendrix fan and own a pile of his stuff.

Some may call that "cranky" - I prefer to think it's more along the lines of "realistic."

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    When Zep's album Coda came out, I was real happy to hear some Zep songs that I haven't heard before. After listening, there were only about 3 songs I liked which was a let down. Later, I came to appreciate the other songs.
    I'll be glad to listen to new Hendrix tunes, may not like them all at first, but they'll be appreciated.

11. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Me too!

12. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

I hear what you're saying, but as someone that's purchased all his albums and a couple box sets, the returns really diminish. It tends to be disappointing.
    I love Jimi. That said, much of the "unreleased" stuff we've received in the last 15 years is from when he was utterly exhausted and treading water. Management kept him on the road too much.

At his best, he is hard to top. I love Jimi.

If I really like an artist, I do try and get what I can. Thing is, many have a longer period of productivity than he had the chance to have. Then we're stuck listening to another "unearthed" take of Isabella...this time with no vocals!

I will give it a listen, but I can't guarantee I'll lay my money down.

13. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

Oct 13, 2011
    Somerset UK
    I love Hendrix, but I think I can hear the sound of the bottom of the barrel being scraped

14. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Aug 19, 2007
    Who wants to know?
    Is 50-year old tape still playable? Ghost player maybe? :rolleyes:

15. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

It may be that most of us are old......and cranky.

16. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    When Hendrix died in 1970, there was a bunch of great unreleased stuff.

47 years later, I'm fairly certain all of it has come out by now. This sounds like a barrel scraping cash grab, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

17. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    How many albums has he released per year since he died?

I think the last one was him farting on the toilet while the tape was rolling....

Maybe it's set to auto-tune now...

18. SurfRose

SurfRose NEW MEMBER!

Dec 6, 2017
    USA

19. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Nope. And I don't I expect to be criticized or instructed for doing so.

MDent77 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.