New Jag-wire Day — Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by BorderRadio, Apr 17, 2019.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I just got mine today, and I’m satisfied, but not quite 400 bucks satisfied. A Classic Vibe? Not exactly. Here’s the stats...

Neck feels great and pretty healthy, as I hoped. It’s 0.87” at the first fret and 0.93” at the 12th. Not many offsets have chunky necks, and this is almost there. If I didn’t get an even-toned IL fretboard neck I would of passed on this, but I got lucky. It darkened up well with some fretboard conditioner. The nut is sloppy, the binding is too. On a good note, the inlay is done neat and clean. Fretwork is good, tuners are good, I didn’t see a Hanchang stamp found on VMs, so they might be the Pings that are found on the original CVs, with the nickel plating.

The neck pocket doesn’t appear to be angled, but I actually didn’t check, I just assumed it wasn’t since the bridge was slammed flush to the pickguard. Shim went in right away.

The bridge is a decent Mustang style affair in a 9.5” radius. The saddles are chromed brass. The only issue was the low E saddle had an angled intonation screw that almost hit the string. I’ll have to clip the screw at some point for good measure. The string spacing is just shy of 53mm.

I like the way the pickups sound. They sound just like my old VM Jag I sold, with the Duncan Designed pickups. 5.85k on the neck, 11.3k on the bridge. It’s like I’ve played this guitar before...

Pickguard is not cut very well but it’s ‘real’ not printed. Too dark for me but I’m good with that on the very pale surf green. Set screw knobs. Weighs 8.2 pounds.

It’s like FMIC is rushing these out, given some sloppy finishing. I’m not complaining though, I love this Jag and I’m keeping it. Solid deal, hopefully quality improves to uphold the CV moniker.

394A58E9-EAE2-42F6-BD6D-1582111F193F.jpeg 6C7AE448-0F63-42B1-8808-00409DBB883A.jpeg

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It still sounds worth $400 to me, though I think the '60s VM for $300 is more bang for the buck...or rather, very nearly exactly the same bang for less buck (just has dot inlays and threaded saddles different than the '70s CV, AFAICT). I have played and set up a '60s VM that I would actually gig interchangeably with my '65 AV Jag (after a good setup and a little bit of fret and nut perfecting, of course). The tone was just as good. The reasons it is about $1,500 cheaper are obvious, but not glaring or intrusive to me.

howardlo and BorderRadio like this.
  3. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Congrats on a beautifully looking guitar!

I didn't expect such a review, in my experience the first run is usually particularly well made with no flaws (with the intention of creating more GAS), so a bit of surprise for me. But there is nothing you can't fix easily, so once again congratulations: enjoy it in very good health :)

I may consider it.. :cool:

BorderRadio likes this.
  4. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

It sure looks good from where I’m sitting!
    Congrats!

BorderRadio likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

I’m a sucker for B&B offset necks, and the fact it’s kinda chunky? Well, that makes it worth the price of admission. Combine that with a more or less upgraded bridge (even thought the stock threaded bridge is fine), then these 70s Jags edge us into something FMIC spoiled us on: Original CVs.

6. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Beautiful. Looks great with the block inlays. Congrats.

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

ooo - that's lovely, that is!

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Have you checked out the MIM lacquer finished 60th Anniversary JMs from last year? Got myself one of the BSB ones. Great guitar, though the fretboard edges and fret ends are very sharp, and the nut isn't great. But the finish is perfection, the tone is perfect bone stock, and the factory setup was 90 percent spot on right out of the case (just had to raise the saddles about one turn on the set screws, and tilt and balance the pickups). I initially fell in love with the black one, but realized in the end that the light BSB was really the sweetie of the pack. Save the black with matching headstock for a build that I'm doing with an ebony board. The neck orange is pretty intense, but not as bad as the regular Classic Series Lacquer ones or Squiers...and with a matching head, it doesn't really matter anyhow, because it's hidden.

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

The Vintage Modified Mustang's neck is pretty chunky, not just my opinion, other people on the net have written this too.

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I'm surprised the neck is over .85, cool looking guitar. Sounds like a great deal to me. Enjoy.

BorderRadio likes this.
  11. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Guitars seem to be drifting up a bit in price at the minute. Still sounds like a decent deal so maybe don’t be too put off by its flaws. I’m building a Jag at the minute and they’re a pretty complex build.

With Squiers, I don’t think it’s necessarily rushing them out but generosity of QA tolerances. Perhaps now the VM range is merged with CVs, the CVs might unfortunately be closer to VMs in that regard. It will be interesting to see what the rest of the forum discover.

Really good weight for a Jag, btw.

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Congrats. Great looking axe.

BorderRadio likes this.
  13. BorderRadio

Yeah I liked everything about these except the PF boards. I much rather own a TVL JM again, I wish I still had mine.

14. BorderRadio

Yep, my VM Mustang neck is very chunky, very comfortable. I read about some people owning VM Jags that are just as chunky.

15. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

They're chunky, a little less than the VM Mustang though, but chunkier than 1960s USA Mustangs I've played.

I've probably played some old Jags too (in shops), but I don't remember that aspect.

BorderRadio likes this.
  16. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

That is one sweet looking guitar! Enjoy and congrats!!

BorderRadio likes this.
  17. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I've had only a little experience with rosewood substitutes, but so far I've liked the PF more than the IL--though that is 'feel' alone, I don't care what it looks like. That's why I am on the fence about these, but I do love a B&B neck. My contemporary jazzmaster IL is...not my favorite.

Now that they are getting out there, hopefully I can try some in-store and decide if that IL is for me.

How is the IL for you once you've played a bit?

18. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

hmm

this is not the first report I've read about some finish issues.

:/

19. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Oh yeah, props on the fully coordinated pedal board, too!

20. BorderRadio

Try it out first if you can. I can’t tell any difference in feel with rosewood, by hands alone. There are more open pores, probably why it’s such a sponge with conditioner. Some of IL I bought to make bridge and other guitar parts was pretty dense and dark, so it is out there.

backporchmusic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.