New IQ study shows: You aren't imagining that we're getting, like; stupidderer

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

:lol:

sonicsmitty likes this.
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

It's by design, you know, that lowest common denominator thingie...

3. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Idiocracy stokes the fires of those fears.

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

funnt thing is, enprmous booties were NOT in style until magazines insisted they were

I'm not even sire they ARE

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. ndcaster

He was a wonderful man, that Washington. It was a different time.

6. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I'm trying to wrap my head around what you've posted and the "political correctness" thing jumps out at me. Because when I've heard that term used before, it was a preface to not calling people names that are offensive. For example, not calling people who are gay certain words or not referring to people of color the standard bigot insults or just not speaking to people in a demeaning manner. Yeah, we have to be "politically correct" now and not use those words that those people consider offensive. Are you saying THAT'S a cause of people becoming less intelligent? Because, if you are, I vehemently disagree.

Boubou and william tele like this.
  7. ndcaster

i think he meant that Pc screwed the pooch a while ago now

it's become a by-word for cry- bullying and humorless scolds

Flakey, Lord_Ingipz and Torren61 like this.
  8. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I'd prefer to think that. :)

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  9. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I also assumed this. PC has become misused. For instance; Columbus Police noticed a trend that people would get into minor fender benders, not want to wait, claim there was an injury, then say "oh, I feel fine now." When first responders arrived.
    I've noticed the same thing regarding political correctness; things that should easily be giant steps forward socially get misused and abused and thier impact and relevance is damaged.

Now, I think that we socially evolve past this at some point, once a social stigma that outweighs political insensitivity is attached to "cry wolf " types of abusers.

But.....

Good luck correlating any of that in a quantitative study. (Unless it's a time travel study ;) )

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  10. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Mainly this, people are offended by anything. In my college they have safety closets for people who are triggered by stress. A few months back when students/activist I believe destroyed a confederate statue because of what it represented. Unfortunately you can't change history and they managed to get out of trouble. Not trying to offend anyone. Just my 2 cents.

11. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

The term "P.C." actually means that an individual's personal political views align with a larger group's political orientation that informs their opinions on how that group organizes it's sense of shared values that is expressed outwardly to others in forms of conduct. If an individual's political schema begins to drift away in any direction from the group's political/social orientation that person's sensibilities are now "politically incorrect" with the larger group. The current general "chatter" displayed in the media has misapplied term and as such so have most people. They typically apply it to characterize one end of the political/social continuum that is usually "left" of the user's personal position.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  12. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

You hurt me, blowtorch! :cry:

OK, I've recovered! :lol:

Mike ;)

blowtorch likes this.
  13. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Some even become achomlished very stable geniuses.

Torren61 likes this.
  14. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

He is pestersome.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Every so often, I'm embarrassed by a Canadian :oops:

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the definition you describe is actually a certain groups reaction to the idea of PC.

Around the world we see many cultures where the majority marginalizes the minority, or in some cases tries to kill the minority group off.

In the US we seem to be made of many or even all cultures, so the idea behind PC is that hate speech has no place in our society.
    So it is politically correct to not use hate speech, AKA derogatory slogans that ridicule races, religious groups, socioeconomic groups etc.

FWIW, the primary reason to use PC as a derogatory slogan against people who live basically by the rules of this forum right here, would be having an intense desire to promote an individual or group hate agenda, while finding the PC crowd calling us out on it to be inconvenient.

However, I do agree that PC goes wrong a lot.

For example when group A that hates group C gets reprimanded by group B and then groups A and B hate on each other about the pros and cons of hating on group C.

Or when groups A and B try to discuss marginalized groups like C, or powerful and oppressive groups like Z, and in the discussion, the dictate of "PC speech" makes it impossible to discuss what is happening in the group Z situation because accusing a guilty party cannot be verbally distinguished from accusing the entire ethnic, religious or socioeconomic group they belong to.

The TDPRI requires PC behavior of we will be banned!

So in order to keep our membership here, we are forced to treat others with respect, even if they own Gibsons, whine about finish chips, buy CS relics, or hell, even if they are dentists.
    (I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult those who, uh, get upset about finish chips, it was an example of subtle undermining!)

Of course the mods have their hands full herding cats so we push the limits and get away with it sometimes.
    But is it really that hard or that limiting to consider the feeling of others including those we would not want to have dinner with?

I certainly cross the line at times if there is a discussion where overly restrictive misunderstanders of PC feel we cannot name the ethnic (etc) group attached to a discussion point.

I have yet to meet an ethnic, political or socioeconomic group that has not a single person in it that I respect. Even including groups that regularly use hate speech because it's so culturally or regionally ingrained.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    BigDaddyLH likes this.
  18. getbent

This is why math teachers make you show your work when solving problems.

Torren61 likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hahahahahahahahahaha yeah!
    I never complied...
    Wait, compiled?

The great and terrible thing about math is you can't spin it!
    Unless you're in statistics.
    Dang.

20. getbent

we know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.