Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New idear

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by s_tones, Feb 12, 2018.

1. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    central CA
    Image1518474653.991327.jpg
    Hating clamps, did things a little differently this time

(The midline holes are in the pu pockets and get cut out)

MarkJT, Barncaster and Smiff like this.
  2. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I am thinking this is a picture of gluing a top on by holding in place using screws? If so, I would be a little concerned that the pressure wasn't more evenly distributed.

guitarbuilder likes this.
  3. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    I've done that a lot, but I also use clamps along with the screws in all the cavities, works great.

4. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    central CA
    even steven. all edges tight as a frog's - well you know. center screws prolly unnecessary as the boards bow very slightly upward as is their tendency. had clamps at the ready but not needed.

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    You are braver than I, and apparently than a couple of others. :eek:

I am anal enough to clamp that thing down hard enough on every square mm of surface area, to force the adjoining board’s atoms to merge.

But if you got a good joint around the edge and where the pickups cutouts are, can’t be glued any tighter. A lousy dozen screws and washers does seem simpler than umptten clamps clattering around.

Newbcaster likes this.
  6. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    central CA
    My experience has been this: the main determinant of a gapless seam is that the when the boards are fitted before clamping there are no gaps. I have clamped the crap out of them and still had a bit of black showing here or there because the surfaces were not true. Then of course the squeeze has to be tight enough to flatten and distribute the glue.

Its funny that we are even talking about gluing! But every little facet of the build is a little art form in itself and we’re always trying to find the best approach. Never stop learning. Thats the fun of it.

Newbcaster likes this.
  7. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    I'm sorta in Rick's camp on this.
    My own brand of anality cries out for tectonic-like compression very close to, and inside of, the actual perimeter of the body, and not out in the remote wastelands of the blank's corners.
    But again, that's my issue.... I have many issues.
    /mike

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The last 4 scarf joint necks that I've done, I used 2 screws(pre-drilled holes of course) to hold together while the glue dries. Then I back out the screws, drill out the holes to 1/4" and glue in 1/4" dowels. Works great.

DrASATele likes this.
  9. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    That's interesting, Might have to give it a shot. I also want to try Nosmo's dovetail idea. Too many idea's not enough time in the shop.

Zepfan likes this.
  10. Zepfan

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I dry fit the pieces making sure they are in the right place and clamp. Drill for the screws. Run the screws in and then back them out. Remove the clamp, slather on the glue, put the pieces together and run the screws in. Let dry 24 to 48 hours depending on whether. back the screws out, drill 1/4" holes and glue in 1/4" dowels. Let that dry another 24 to 48 hours, trim excess and sand flush. Easy Peasy
    Dove Tail joint sounds interesting.

DrASATele likes this.
  11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Amen about time in the shop.

Nosmo's "scarf" was brilliant. I'd say if you can pull that off, building ES335 mortise and tenon neck joints , with your eyes closed, with your left hand, with dull tools, and drunk, would be child's play.

(Come to think of it, wasn't that how Nosmo did it? :lol::lol:)

DrASATele likes this.
  12. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    Western Australia
    I've done some tops the same way, with a few more perimeter screws though.... and some clamps, and pressure in the guts....

IMG_7815.jpg

IMG_7814.jpg

As others have said, flat, well-fitting pieces are a prerequisite, whichever way you go.

13. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Got any pics of this technique? I am not visualizing it well.
    Thanks,
    Rex

14. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
  15. Zepfan

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I only have a couple pics. Last pic shows the dowels glued in, although kinda hard to see in the pic.

Attached Files:

16. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    central CA
    IMG_4526.JPG

The profile cut having been made, the glue joint revealed. You might fit a small molecule in the crack. But it would be tight!

Meteorman, Zepfan and adirondak5 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.