Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

New hand-wired Fender '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JCW1024, Jul 14, 2017.

1. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    One thing that folks need to remember about a big company like Fender is that even their top of the line handwired boutique stuff still needs to meet all the worldwide criteria for safety and green/hazardous material standards. Making these amps in California would/will add even more cost and little gadgets like thermistors and other safety devices that weren't in the original amps. The certification alone probably costs more than most people would expect.

This is part of the reason that smaller, under the radar, builders can keep costs down on similar items. A lot of the time costs go up as a company gains some ground in being able to legally market their amps overseas or begins to sell a lot of amps to buyers outside of the hobbyist market (you know, those folks who will stick metal objects inside speaker and input jacks and then sue).

Fender and other large corporations have a lot of CYA stuff to protect themselves, their employee's jobs, and their investor's money against.

2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    In my part of the world , yo have to look arond for a long time to find a vintage Fender amp , and you will have to pay for it when you find it......I love all 5 of mine , but if I could have bought a new one.........

3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Weird....my posts showed up two times.....twilight zone ?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    wWhere did you get those numbers, Eminence has made a lot of speakers for Fender, but the closest thing they sell of the shelf to a C12Q would be a 1258, but it's more along the line of a C12N, regardless their in the same price range as the jensen or wsg, if they were looking to go cheap they could have used the mod series, they actually sound good, but a bit british
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jensen/C12Q-35W-12-Replacement-Speaker.gc
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Eminence/Legend-1258-75W-Guitar-Speaker.gc
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Warehou...m=search_page.rr1|MultiItemPersonalizedViewCP
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jensen/MOD12-35-35W-12-Replacement-Speaker.gc

6. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Anybody know how much a new BFDR cost back in 1964, and what that price would be once corrected for inflation?

7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the gut shots and someone doing an A/B tone test. New '64 Handwired DRRI vs New '65 DRRI.

News at 11. :D

For Fender fans this amp seems to be really causing a stir. So its working.

JCW1024 likes this.

8. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    A company like Fender, buying a few thousand speakers, will pay about a third of retail.

9. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I only could find a price from 1968 - $259.50.

Adjusted to todays buck that is around $1850.

10. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Thanks. The closest I could find was a tweed amp price list, and a 1965 catalog (but not the price list).

AlbertaGriff likes this.

11. scooter_trasher

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    Ya I get that , but Eminence has the same pricing point as the Jensen and they do the MFG discount thing, I'm thinking the Jensen C12Q while it may not be a true reproduction of a vintage C12Q in as much as it has an epotex voice coil former instead of paper, it's still the only newly manufactured Jensen C12Q on the market and the blackface Deluxes came with C12Qs and Oxford 12K5s, Oxford is long gone

12. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I think this is super cool. Not sure I can afford one, but it is a great step for Fender to take in my opinion. Heck I'
    d buy it before one of the many deluxe reverb "clones" out there

13. fender_freak

fender_freak TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2017
    La Crosse, WI
    My thoughts exactly. I hope they do more than the Deluxe.

14. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Another market for this amp is for studios and back line companies. I could imagine a lot of pro players requesting this amp. Then again, maybe they'll just provide
    the lower cost re-issues since I suspect most pros would be OK with them as well.

I too am interested in seeing a gut shot. Nothing wrong with a PCB set up if it is done correctly with heavy duty PCB boards, chassis mounted pots and sockets,
    and none of those yucky ribbon connectors. Lots of high end amps use them and it can really help quality control while lowering labor costs.

If the price point is comparable to boutique clones and the quality is comparable, I can see a lot of folks opting for Fender for several reasons-- 1) they're unlikely
    to go out of business, 2) you can get warranty service in more than one location, 3) re-sale value might actually be better....at least there's potentially a bigger
    market of buyers out there, 4) you get the classic Fender badge on your amp. Maybe not a perfect analogy, but while there are boutique V-twin motorcycle makers
    out there that arguably make a better bike for the price than Harley-Davidson, a lot of guys still want the original H-D logo on their bike.

15. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    I've never seen an original Deluxe or Deluxe Reverb with a C12Q as original equipment. I've seen more than a few, for sale on ebay, with replaced C12Q's that have date codes that seem to be close, but they're not original.

16. scooter_trasher

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    They didn't exclusively use Jensens, they used Oxford, cts and from 67 on utah also, but Oxford is gone Cts is gone or absorbed by Eminence, Utah went bankrupt reopened as pyle, then in the late 80s sold out to Radio Shack, sometime around 1970 Jensen dropped from the competition for the supplier of amp Mfg business and got heavy into branding their own car speakers , c12Q is the small mag 12 on line with oxford 12k5 and the only speaker carrying an original brand name used in Fenders in the pre 1970 years
    http://ampwares.com/faq/jensen-replacement-speakers/

17. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    I'm well aware of the different brands and models used by Fender. I've been into vintage amps for over 40 years. There's some incorrect info on ampwares. One that sticks out is the use of a C10R in the '64-'67 Princeton Reverb. They never used a C10R in the Princeton or Princeton Reverb.

18. scooter_trasher

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    Regardless of whether, Fender used an Oxford, Cts,Utah , or Jensen in a particular model in any certain year the C12Q has the correct small mag & inefficiency of the original , they never came with a large mag efficient speaker such as a C12N ,unless you had the dealer change speakers at least not until the Rivera years when you could get a choice up to a evm12L and the other four brands Fender used are simply not available

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.