Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

New hand-wired Fender '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JCW1024, Jul 14, 2017.

1. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    The jensen vintage series doesn't seem to get much love, but speakers are subjective and they are marketing a reproduction, so nothing else fits the bill.
    a major question is who is making the trannies
    as to the extra 1500 in labor ,I didn't read anywhere about custom shop or USA, where are they buying that labor California, Mexico, or China?
    at 10 hours to wire which would be very, very, very slow , your looking at maybe 15 bucks Mexican, 4 bucks in China

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017

2. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011

I'll give you $2000 for the snowman knobs.

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Everyone wants a "made in USA" hand wired Blackface FENDER, but they expect it at "Made in Mexico" prices.

The suggested price is reasonable... and falls in line with most hand wired amps. Street price will be lower and it will be stocked in music stores where the average player can put it on a payment plan... something impossible to do with a vintage amp. Also unlike a vintage amp, it will come with warranty ... which is very appealing to many people. Fender will likely do well with this.

Just my 2 cents...

J Hog and MilwMark like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    You would think they'd use a more accurate Jensen reissue, Aka an Allesandro SC-64, specifically made to be a 1964 C12N remake.

6. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    Fender's cost for those C12Q's is probably $20 ea where the Eminence would probably cost them $35.

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Maybe not in power, but if they scaled down the supply voltages (a supposition without evidence) the amp would "feel" different and not eat tubes.

MilwMark likes this.

8. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    That's not a huge difference if it's a defining factor in the tone of a $2500 amp.

9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I had heard rumors of this a year ago. Good to see it was true.

10. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    True, but the "bean counters" look for ways to keep the cost down and profits up. The $15 difference times five thousand amps.......

11. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Well I guess we're all cork sniffers. That or they think people want reissue Jensens in their reissue amps.

They aren't even using an appropriate C12N.

12. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Applause towards Fender for making these amps !
    I havent got any issues with the modern Jensens , the ones I have sound ok to me....
    Reg soldering time , it is said that the female soldering workers at Fender in the old days could wire up a big amp in 20 minutes !

tombm3 and MilwMark like this.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    @bparnell57 - I love that Eminence Allesandro speaker. I have it in my DRRI actually. Brilliant. But, it is quite a bit more sensitive. So, given what @waparker4 explained above re: feel and tubes (thanks @waparker4) using something like the Allesandro would be counter-productive.

That is one of my biggest beefs with modern speaker manufacturers, actually. They make these brilliant sounding speakers but then make them SO efficient. I just played a small club (30-40 people packed it, tight) with my '68 Custom Princeton Reverb. And never got the amp above 5.

Now take an amp with stouter power like a DR, add an efficient speaker and I'm never getting over 3 on the dial, and the amp is clean clean clean. So I can see using a stock, inefficient speaker. Then those who want and need more power can replace the speaker.

Again I'm struck that Fender (or name your big brand manufacturer) just can't win. To me, if I'm paying $2k+ for an amp, spending $100 to put in the speaker I want, after playing the amp for awhile, doesn't seem like that big a deal. They could put the most perfect reproduction of the most sought-after Jensen or Celestion in those amps and tons of users would complain and replace it with their own favorite (or, more realistically, series of "favorites") anyway.

No457 Snowy, codamedia and tombm3 like this.

14. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yeah, I wouldn't write off putting an inefficient speaker in this amp without hearing it. My own DRRI has an inefficient ~30 watt alnico speaker in it. The C12Q is rated at 93 dB

15. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Not likely a noticeable difference going from 22 to 20 watts, but going from a C12K to a C12Q will likely make a huge difference. I think maybe one of the goals indicated as being more positioned to the modern player as they say might be the transition to amps now all being miced up to the PA. I'm fairly certain that C12Q will have an effect of lowering the headroom of the amp substantially

16. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York

....AAAAAAND this is exactly why I wouldn't pay $2500 for a Fender such as this. They're going to cut costs on parts to save them money, while charging a significantly higher price than their competition, which would be Vintage amps, and Hand Wired clones.

@ $2500 I'd expect a nicer speaker than a cheap Jensen RI. Now, it makes me wonder. Where else did Fender decide to 'save money' on these amps? $2500 is 'booteek' prices and cost cutting like that, at these prices, to me, is not acceptable. I feel like I wouldn't be getting too much bang for my buck, personally.

Heh, well now I know why so many Fenders look like bird nests inside and need help with lead dress and constantly need new grounds soldered lol :lol:

17. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    And if it's suppose to be a "64" why does it have the Fender Badge on the grill cloth. DR's didn't get badges on the grill cloth until after the middle of 1965.

18. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    C12Ns didn't come in Deluxes it was an upgrade people put in for more headroom and loudness, C12Ns came in Twins, Deluxes came with small magnet inefficient C12Qs

MilwMark likes this.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Do boutique builders uniformly (or even routinely) use "better" components (whatever that means). I recall Victoria amps coming with Jensens because the builder thought they were great. But he stopped because customers groused. Don't boutique folks routinely use the "cheap" Chinese Celestion V-30 or Greenback (which I routinely read are "not at all" like the vintage English made ones)?

Other than the Allesandro (which while great, is way too efficient to be "vintage correct") what current production speaker would be
    "acceptable"?

20. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark

21. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Fender has to put SOME kind of speaker in there. A lot of us actually like the reissue Jensens . People put all kinds of speakers in to all kinds of amps from the start , why should Fender be able to use something that everyone likes ?
    Reg the soldering/lead dress - want to see the inside of my real 65 Super Reverb ?

MilwMark likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.